Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23121 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:23:58 am »

1 Granite

Well, this is a site, and I thought dwarves were not meant to swim, right up on the coast of the ocean no less. Not to mention all of this is nearly flat land, and I am not all that keen on having the fort gate at sea level. Well, time to get digging, from above. At least, the ocean is frozen over, but no idea how long that will last.

I have set up a stockpile to try to move some of this gear to higher ground.

Well, we came ready, bringing a wagon load of stone and wood, though looking around, wood is not going to be much of a problem, for now.

Tossing up a carpenter shop. With all this saltwater, we are going to need a screw pump.

4 Granite

And we have hit aquifer. Terrific. To make matters harder, the aquifer is also salt water. Hey, get those pump parts over here, we are breaking through!

14 Granite

Here we go, we got the pump running, and now we just need to build some walls to hold the water back. The carpenter is going to be busy.

12 slate

I have ordered the mason to build some temporary housing here on the surface, and the carpenter to take a break and build a few beds. We have also drawn up plans for turning some of this saltwater into drinkable water, and an idea for some defenses.

24 Slate

Dug out a fairly small basin, and plated it over with granite. now to put the pump in place, add a windmill, and hope the wind blows.

1 Felcite

It works! The plan to get a usable well from this saltwater aquifer has worked. Granted, this is only to hold until a more suitable site can be used, but we have fresh water available.

We are about halfway through the first aquifer layer. now for the second half.

15 Felcite

The housing structure has been finished, and we have set up a floating drawbridge, connected to a constructed platform. If needed, we can raise the bridge, and then nothing is getting in.

20 Felcite

There has been a bit of a mishap while draining the aquifer. We will just have to go with a new plan.

28 Felcite

Level one drained, now to set up stairs and see whats next.

End of Season

No skilled broker

1 Hematite

I just noticed. While I have been busy with the aquifer, I failed to notice part of the stockpile was built on ice. With it thawed, some of our supplies are now in a filled murky pool. No matter, I have an answer. Getting the Mason to build a grate with some of the stone we have left.

19 Hematite

Lets move some of these items indoors. Just below the surface, but this shelter will serve until we can dig deeper. A farm has been planned out for later use. We just ran out of plump helmets.

26 Hematite

Migrants showed up today. One a carpenter, another a miner, the others I am putting to work on the farm.

10 Malachite

Granite! Under this next layer of soil is granite. With any luck, we will be comfortably in stone by next season.

End of Season

No skilled broker (I do have a broker, but nobody has appraise)

7 Limestone

The cats have been busy. Now we got more of them to worry about. Oh well, more eats for later.

11 Sandstone

Stone sweet stone. Through that aquifer at last. Now lets see what we have to work with.

14 Sandstone

We have found even more damp stone, this time in the Granite tunnels. Might there be an underground river here? Best to be careful.

Our miners have found Cassiterite

17 Sandstone

More migrants showed up, but none of any good use.

20 Sandstone

We managed to set up some workshops down where it matters, closer to the stone. Now to get the masons working on doors and the crafter working on trade goods. There are also plans in the making for a new well, deeper in the ground.

23 Sandstone

Bah! More aquifer, behind the granite. Looks like we got a lucky break and punched through where the aquifer was not so deep. No matter. That area has been sealed off with ease.

8 Timber

Over the last two weeks, we have done some core shaft exploratory mining.

Our miners have uncovered Marble, Native silver, Native gold, Galena, Garnierite, Cobaltite, and adamantine

Tin, nickel, lead, silver, gold. Lots of different metals here.

After taking some precautions, we also cracked open the magma sea. It turns out the magma sea connects directly with the caverns.

16 Timber

Merchants have finally shown up. Time to train the broker a bit. Plans are being made to relocate everything closer to the magma sea. It might take most of the rest of the year to set such up however.

28 Timber

Traded up the merchants for some booze. I didn't have much else for trade, having had my attention elsewhere.

End of season

Wealth: 6882
Caravan made it to depot

23 Obsidian

Well, the winter has been fairly quiet, and the fort has been quite busy carving out what is to be the new well. Given that just the general basin is over 30 levels high, it is expected to take a bit of time. In addition, we are taking steps to remove any valuable ores before the area is flooded from the above aquifer.

Definitive structure will need to wait till the well system is completed.

End of Season

Wealth: 16923
No caravans this season
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:28:06 am by RTiger »

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:02 am »

First Spring report of Sibrekgoden, "Salverope".

We managed tah get the farms set up, an' the Trade Depot build, but not much else. I suppose we'll have to sleep on a stone floor an' eat standing for a while. No one seems tah mind, though. Better tah sleep on a bare rock floor in the heart of a mountain than on a bed in an outdoor pile a yak gak those humans call homes.

Anyway, were not expectin' caravans 'till autumn, so we've got some time to get established.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tinöth nish, Töras etest.
(Equal trade, greatest duty)
PotatoLord, broker.

EditAgain: Never mind, I've figured it out from your posts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:09:28 pm by PotatoLord »
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »

11th Timber, 200
I think I offended the queen.

The royal cartographer assures me there's nothing dangerous there, but... it's a glacier.

At least I'm not alone. She's sending six other dwarves with me.

Six other dwarves with no skills whatsoever. I can only wonder what they did to share my fate...

She calls the place "Frozenamuses". Which of course means that it amuses her to see us frozen. To death.

25th Opal
On our way out to our deathtrap, we meet a dwarf named "RTiger", who represents the "Dwarven Free Trade Alliance". Since we've been abandoned by our own people, we need all the help we can get. We join up.

1st Granite, 201
Well...

We're here.

"Here" being better known as "the Armok-forsaken middle of sporing nowhere ON A GLACIER!"

9th Granite
We have neither water nor soil, which means no farming, and that means no booze. We have to dig down to the caverns if we hope to survive.

21st Granite
We've struck real stone. So there's that, at least. We'll be digging out our bedrooms here.

6th Slate

Okay, wow, that was terrible. Let's try it again.

It is now summer.

1st Hematite
Ugh. We've still got no source of alcohol. Our stocks haven't run out yet, but...

End-of-season report
Wealth: Unknown (no broker)
Orders: 0 unmet of 0 made
Trading: 0 caravans turned away of 0 arrivals

There's nothing here. It's, well, it's a bug chunk of ice in the middle of nowhere.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »

Glacier again billy?

I cant say I have an easy embark either, oceanside with an aquifer.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »

First Summer report of Salverope

We've gotten the bedrooms set up, an' the dining hall is comin' along nicely. We've got a nice stockpile of roasts ready for the caravan when it arrives next season, and I've ordered the miners to start looking for valuable ores. We'll soon make this hole in the ground a proper and prosperous fortress.

PotatoLord, broker.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:09:50 pm by PotatoLord »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 01:30:01 pm »

6th Hematite
the alcothe acohol in ruins? pfff............ brah time to get my defense on no what im sayin........

5th Malachite
Migrants!

Pros: More hands
Cons: More mouths

Eh, I'll take 'em. They probably got exiled for something dumb too.

22nd Malachite
Okay, we've got over 100 eggs. Can we make booze out of them? Is that a thing?

No?

Damn.

25th Malachite
All right, that's it, we're digging down.

We will die if we can't get some booze production set up, and that means we need plants.

And here I thought Her Royal Pain In The Majesty expected the cold to kill us directly.

27th Malachite

Found it.

6th Galena
We are officially out of brewable plants. We've got 60 servings of booze to get us to our farm.

Autumn has come.

1st Limestone
We're still working on it, but it's not easy.

End-of-season report
Wealth: Unknown (no broker)
Orders: Still nothing.
Trading: Still nobody.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 02:08:49 pm »

First Autumn report of Salverope

The caravan arrived a bit late in the month, and we proceeded ta buy 'em out with +hen egg roasts(45)+ We've got lots of supplies now and even a few bits of armor for the burgeoning military. A sizable group of migrants preceded the caravan, and we've discovered a series of natural caverns.

One out of One caravans arrived safely.

PotatoLord, broker.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 02:36:22 pm »

13th Sandstone

Spore you, Your Royal Bitchness! You thought you were sending us to our deaths, well you know what? You thought wrong!

We're building our own mountainhomes without you, and you know what? You're not sporing invited.

17th Sandstone
... I don't think she got the news, cause she sent more dwarves to what she is completely unaware is not their death at all. Weird.

27th Sandstone
Mere subsistence will not do. We need to make this glacier the grandest glacier a dwarf has ever lived on.

This means, among other things, that we need a steady source of wood for beds.

11th Timber
Hey, we just struck marble!

So if we find any iron ore, we can make steel!

... I don't think we have any iron ore, but whatever.

13th Timber
The DFTA caravan has arrived.

shit. lets be merchants

18th Timber
From the DFTA liaison I request wood, iron, booze, and coal. In return, he wants armor, bracelets, and plants.

Winter is upon you.

1st Moonstone
Spore yes. This will be the best fort ever.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 22083☼ created, 17183☼ imported, 0☼ exported.
Orders: None yet.
Trading: 1 caravan arrived this season.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 03:02:32 pm »

From the journal of Carpenter Vucarnogvesh, founder of Hatchettwinked

Carpenter's story:

The jungle that surrounds us is both alien and frightening, but I steel my nerves and encourage my comrades to press on.  Change is frightening, but so is...hang on.  What in Domas's name is that?!?

They look like trouble, whatever they are.  We better set up a defensible position here.  Miner, Miner and Miner quickly set up a ditch around a pond so we would be kept safe from the native wildlife.

First order of business is to build some workshops for carpentry, mechanisms and masonry.  Cook ran around gathering various herbs, while Hunter reluctantly took up an axe to chop up the trees in our little area.  He wanted to go hunt the behemoths, but I don't think that's such a good idea without a good doctor around.

Oh, and speaking of which, it turns out that nobody knows much of anything except for their chosen fields of expertise...which is how I wound up being the company expedition leader, broker, bookkeeper, manager and doctor.

I lay out my plans for an orderly, but compact fort to the Miners Three (I think I'll just keep calling them that) and they quickly went to work.  They cleared out an area in the soft earth to allow us to bring in our supplies and get some shelter.  Then they dug stairs and hollowed a small area in the stone to allow room for some more workshops.

A kitchen, butcher, tannery, still, and farmer's workshop were all constructed fairly quickly.  It turns out that Cook somehow contrived to bring 6 barrels of every type of animal milk known to dwarves and 21 each of cow and yak milk.  He said they were so we can have some cheese in our new fort. 

When I asked him how does one exactly make cheese, he just looked at me blankly.  Turns out he doesn't know either.

Oh well, I guess he'll learn.

Granite 5
I made a masterwork Spiked Ball made of Willow Wood!  I like Willow Wood.  I find it easy to work with.  I guess that's why I brought 40 logs of them.

Granite 13
It has started raining!  It brings a bit of relief from the hot and muggy weather, but we need to hurry and get our supplies underground before they rot!

Granite 20

The rain finally ended!  By Domas's golden scales, I thought it would never end.  Continuous rain for a week?  Who would've thought it was possible.  Oh well, I just hope it's a freak occurrence.

Granite 25
Started raining again.

Slate 4
Nine days of rain.  I'm tempted to just seal the surface entrances and live down in the dark rather than put up with more rain.  If only...hmm...maybe a roof over the area aboveground?

Slate 10
These turkeys are running amok!  I built a cage and stuffed them all in there.  I threw in the dogs for good measure as well.  We'll let them out once we build some nests so they can lay their eggs.

Slate 24
The Miners Three found some Hematite!  Unfortunately the vein seems to bisect the planned ditch around our fort.  What to do?  I'll sleep on it.  It's not like we have an anvil to work that metal even if we do get it now.  I guess that means we'll also need to find some magma to be really efficient.  Come to think of it, we're surrounded by firebrick clay.  We should definitely seek out magma so we can have some stoneware around here.

Felsite 10

Spotted some more strange creatures.  These things are huge!  And those tusks don't look very friendly either.  Hunter wants to try to snag one for the cookpot.  But considering that these things are bigger than the cook's kitchen, I don't think the results will be good if he tries poking one of these things with his bone bolts.

Felsite 13
Discovered some Tetrahedrite.  Again though, it's bisecting the proposed ditch.  Need to make a decision on that soon.

Felsite 18
I woke up to a delicious smell.  It's as if every good memory of food I ever had was condensed and presented as a savory aroma. Cook made a truly marvelous masterwork roast made of turtle meat and several different varieties of cheese.  I never knew three month old turtle meat could smell so good.

Summer is here!
Wealth: 27,343
Depot: not built yet
Seeing as how some of you ended the YEAR with less than what I ended spring with, I think I'm gonna be officially screwed come year 2.  Oh well.  :)

Spring Report

Upper Farms

Future Lower Farms/current temporary storage/dorms

Food Prep Area

Will continue my turn later.  How long do we have to do each year?  A week?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:50:57 pm by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 03:32:25 pm »

1st Moonstone
We've reached the magma sea. Now to build a reservoir...

Spring has arrived!

1st Granite, 202
Oh, wow, I haven't written a damn thing all season, have I?

Well, the long and short of it is, we've got a metal industry up and running. Well, up, anyway.

Here, you can check out the map.

End-of-year report
Wealth: 35201☼ created, 16992☼ imported, 1320☼ exported
Orders: Still nothing...
Trading: No caravans arrived this season.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »

Too late to join in?

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:26 pm »

I only see four players, so I would think it's okay.  We're still in the middle of our first year (at least I am).

I'd say join in!  But this is RTiger's show...
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »

Feel free to join in, we got room for one more.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 12:28:48 am »

Elephants and rinos cdr? Looks like you got your own share of fun.

My wealth is so low cause I spent most of the year doing an aquifer breech and dealing with saltwater, leaving me nothing to really build wealth with. I don't like needlessly using trees. I still have silver and gold at my fingertips. I imagine in the later game, once I get the forges up, that will change rather fast.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 02:42:00 am »

Journal of Carpenter Vucarnogvesh, Summer of 301

Summer 1 Hematite 301
I've decided to let them mine out the Hematite vein.  I think we can live with a defensive ditch only two floors deep on three sides of the fort.  The southern side however will continue on untill it's a full 20 floors deep.

Those goblins that somehow manage to dodge the wooden spiked balls I created will fall to their doom if they're not smart.  Thankfully, most goblins aren't smart.  Well, not as smart as us dwarves at least. 

Since I created these giant spiked balls and their main purpose is to knock goblins off the edge of the platform, I've resorted to calling them my huge knockers.  I don't understand the snickerings I keep hearing whenever I use the term.  I guess the mental image of my big balls knocking goblins off the cliff amuses them.  I don't know.  People are weird.

I've also ordered one of the main stairwells to be extended deeper into the earth.  I want to find magma so we can make use of this firebrick clay.

Summer 10 Hematite 301
A shout from the miners echoed throughout the stairwell.  I thought they found magma.  Instead, it seems they've found a vast cavern complex with a variety of underground flora.  The bright colors are a joy to behold, but the more practical side of me is a bit terrified at what might be lurking in dark corners of the complex. 

I've ordered a wall built to seal off most of the caverns, but that still leaves us a fairly large area from which to harvest plants and trees from.

Summer 5 Malachite 301
Hunter was on the upper pens (probably observing the large animals grazing nearby to hunt them better), when he saw some figures on the horizon.  Dwarves!  It seems that more than a few dwarves overheard of our plans back at the mountainhome and they wish to participate in our grand social experiment!  We welcome Butcher, Gem Cutter, Engraver, Glassmaker, and Brewer to our fold.  I point out to Glassmaker that we have no sand in the area, but he insists on keeping up with his profession.  Perhaps some local trade would help bring in some materials for him.

Summer 22  Malachite 301
Complaints about animals fighting in the pens made me order the slaughter of the offending animal.  We can't have ornery bulls troubling the rest of the livestock.  Butcher makes short work of the Water Buffalo bull.

Summer 26 Malachite 301
Umm...apparently it wasn't the Water Buffalo bull that was causing the trouble, it was the Yak Cow.  It met the same fate as the Water Buffalo.  It's only fair.

Summer 28 Galena 301
Butcher tells me that today officially marks the end of the wet season around these parts.  It's also the end of Summer.  That was quick.  It took most of the Summer to wall off the underground caverns and we still haven't found magma.

Autumn 2 Sandstone 301
Five more migrants join our group!  We welcome Gem Setter, Soldier, Miller, Farmer, and Woodcutter.  Good thing we set up 20 rooms beforehand.  I think I need to get the Miners Three to expand those bedrooms if we're going to get more people here.  Putting up with the noise of constant construction is annoying, but so is sharing three people to a bed.

Autumn 19 Timber 301

A caravan from an organization calling themselves the Dwarf Trade Alliance has arrived!  The representative talked really fast and it was difficult to follow his words.  But He said that trade agreements between dwarven communities will benefit from interconnectivity in a global market with product dependencies creating increased demand and resulting in strategized cost structures. 

He lost me with his words, but I think the gist is that we're all working together and what affects one community will affect others.  We shall lift ourselves up together as one! 

I signed the papers he presented me with and traded a few of my huge knockers, as well as some of cook's lesser creations.  We got a ton of stuff in return, ranging from more varieties of meat and drink to anvils and metal bars.  I passed up on the weapons and armor, though I did buy a few more picks.  We also got a ram.  I think I'm going to start a sheep industry.

Winter 1 Moonstone 301
The weather never turned cold in the area.  It's a bit strange to think that I might not ever see snow...

Winter 25 Moonstone 301
The miners found magma in the northwest stairwell!  More importantly, one of them caught a glimpse of blue metal off in the distance before the magma blocked his view.  He's convinced that he saw Adamantine!

I'm trying to convince him that it was just a trick of the eye and that he's probably mistaken.  I've forbidden any exploratory digging in that area on the basis that we still have too much work to do in the fortress proper before we can consider any exploratory digging, no matter how valuable the metal.

The truth is, I've heard horror stories about the cursed metal, mostly from my grandmother.  I'd rather not touch it but I'm not sure anyone else would share my reticence.  I'll try to keep everyone else occupied and busy so that we won't have to deal with this for a long while

(OOC:  I'm already screwed up in terms of relative economy.  I have no wish to compound that with Adamantine.)

Winter Opal 301
Work on the magma furnaces continue.  We managed to set up one each of Glass, Metal and Clay furnaces.  Unfortunately, none of us are really skilled in any of the above trades.  I'm hoping that a future migrant will show up and take over these work areas.

Winter 7 Obsidian 301
A bit of excitement happens as the year draws to a close.  A few weeks ago, Hunter was starting to support the Miners Three in searching for the Adamantine, so I had to distract him and quickly.  I told him that he had permission to go hunt the large beasts wandering about.  He was out of the office before I can finish my sentence.

He snuck upon a herd of the large creatures (which I've learned was called a Rhino).  The bolts from his crossbow quickly hit one of the creatures and the rest scattered in a panic.  Unfortunately, the creature was resiliant.  Even after a bull's eye (rhino's eye?), it managed to run away from Hunter. 

Thus began the chase.

Winter 18 Obsidian 301

The chase was long.  Eleven days to be exact.  Hunter was forced to return to the keep to refill his quiver.  Watching from the fortifications, I saw Hunter leave the mewling, crawling pitiful creature behind while he got more bolts.  I asked him why he didn't just bash in the helpless thing's head while it's lying there.  He looked at me as if I was the crazy one and said that it wasn't sportsmanlike...

In the end, he killed it and dragged its huge carcass back to the butcher's area (almost crushing the cavy's corpse that he deposited there earlier in the week).

With a cheerful whistle, he told me that he's going out to get more fresh air.

Winter 26 Obsidian 301
I don't believe it.  Just a few more days until the new year, and in the middle of our celebratory preparations, Hunter comes into the kitchen prep area with yet another rhino carcass!

Butcher hasn't even finished with the first rhino yet (he's still working on the cavy...apparently it's a delicacy and he wanted to scrape as much meat off its tiny body as possible).

Oh well.  Here's to the new year.

End of Year Report year 1

No mandates
1 of 1 caravans successfully traded with.

Yeah, I know I'm screwed.  Most of that wealth is in the form of roasts from the cook.  I don't even have a metal industry yet which is going to kick in next year (unless of course the trade limitations prevent that).

I'm almost tempted to have Carpenter kill everyone else and attempt a hermit challenge...hmm...not a bad idea...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:21:03 am by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15