Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the state of butchering right now? Got these 4 lame ducks lying around..  (Read 1093 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again the byzantine butchering system of Dwarf Fortress caught me by surprise. It is COMPLETELY opaque how it works.

So, as you can see,  4 duck corpses are next to my butcher's shop.
They have been dragged there by a dwarf after a hunter shot them, so they are not tame ducks, but wildlife from the map around the fortress.

I cannot get them butchered: When I try to butcher a duck I get needs nearby unrotten butcherable item. GAH!

* Stockpile next to Butcher's shop is Refuse, not Corpse. Is that significant?
* Corpses are not rotten.
* One is mutilated, rest are normal corpses
* They were never tame.
* They were killed by trauma from the hunter's arrow, not starvation
* There is a butcher with the skill enabled in my fortress.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have had this happen on small animals, and small animals only. My assumption was that it was too small to yield anything at all, and was therefore rejected for butchery.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

That's pretty much it, yep.

Buzzards give the message a lot too.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn, so that'ss why a bunch of my dwarves starved when I tried to butcher all the rabbits running around. :/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, the rabbit thing might be more accurate than you think...;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It might be a minor bug, but it does carry some significant consequences for the player's understanding (and frustration) with how butcheries work. Unfortunately a corpse does not carry any tag that reveals if it is in a butcherable state or not. If it did, that would really alleviate a lot of "Need nearby unrotten butcherable item" spam frustration from the players.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotta love that QI makes more sense than wikipedia... Lord Commander Fry for emperor of the earth!