Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: You Are Humanities Interstellar Government!  (Read 14546 times)

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Humanities Interstellar Government!
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »

Yes, yes, the first world will be much easier to terraform. I was talking of the other two worlds, the ones that would take far longer and cost far more. Although I could attempt to make a case for the first world, it is likely that terraforming would be more economically efficient there, so I abstained and instead I am pushing my nations views on the other two planets; the ones you called barren. Attempting to terraform them would simply be more expensive than habitats at this point, as well as devastating any natural rock formations and damaging scientific prospects!
Absconditus

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2011, 01:22:13 pm »

Okay then, I'm with you on the other two planets. We don't need full-scale settlements on those, just mines.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »

Let's just be careful with those mines, I'll pull out of this if more than 300,000 lives are lost in there.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

Demonsul, that's why we need to start terraforming now, while we don't need them. Sending a few crates of special bacterias to start the job won't cost much, and the money saved later on will be impressive. Sure, it'll take years to start changing those, but we can wait until New Terra is fully settled. And you scientists can study all the rocks you want while the terraforming process is going on.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:20 pm »

Just use telemining techniques.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 09, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »

Let's just be careful with those mines, I'll pull out of this if more than 300,000 lives are lost in there.

Snicker snicker.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:22 pm »

Hey, do you want to work for a free-thinking society?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 09, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »

Get back to work human!

Sorry 'bout that. Bug report has been sent.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Gentlemen!
calm down.

Geology is a long process with many deep and pristine environments to study later on, even with advanced terraforming, these environments wont be harmed, and the bacteria dont need to be perfect, they are infact, in this day and age, dirty cheep to manufacture. no matter how you slice it, we will still need to seed these worlds to start terraforming. We understand the Africans point of veiw, and value the need for the expansion of science, but in this case, it must be put on hold for the greater good of humanity.

-leans forward and puts finger tips together-

BNE votes for the terraforming with our provided basic bacteria on all 3 worlds. even with their introduction, any local biologicals of an advanced enought nature to be of interest will not be affected since they will have their own ecosystem setup, and will therefor adapt rapidly to the introduction of new competitors.
Trust me when i say, this is the right choice, and i hope our partners in this endevor would consider that with these settlements in the 3 prisine worlds, we will have many magnitudes of the reasorces now at our desposal to perveiw future reaserch.

The only part we have to worry about is the changes in biology of the colonists that will inevitably occur due to to the different conditions.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

Bha. That take millions of years, no worry to us.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 09, 2011, 02:30:18 pm »

Now that we all agree - except the South Africans - to start terraforming the planet, could we please move to the next point?

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2011, 02:32:44 pm »

Well, I can hardly contest now, can I? Quasi-independence or not, the New Empire can rule over us. Ultimately, if they decide something against our wishes, we can only hope to change their minds.

In any case, the South African Territories will continue to hope that non-invasive techniques such as surface-only bacteria and no artificial element dumping be used on the barren worlds. That way, we can at least have some hope of finding untouched portions of the planet.

Although, you will have to remind me, what was the next point again?
Absconditus

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »

evolution of human colonists will become aparent within a few generations. as it has for those who have settled mars.
the differences in gravity -the main force by wich our biology measures itself by to build and measure- mean that our martian cousins are alot taller than earth comparisons. their still human, just different since lower gravity provides fewer obsticals to be overcome for larger organisms.

The next subject on the agenda of course has to be the governmence of these new worlds.

The BNE proposes each world have a quasi-indipendant goverment alot like our relationship with the South africans.
This allows fluid controll for the colonists to decide in a democratic way the new worlds, wile still giving us the overall command to expand our joint interests.

-nods to the South African Territories representative-

We apolagise that we have to overrule you on this course, but, thats how the cooky crumbles on this matter im afraid to say.

what say you members of the congress? Will the governence structure be a democratic Quasi-idipendant state, subject to the rule of this council?
as a safety precaution i suggest we have any action or order given have to be verified by a voted majority of members, so that no one country can overrule the others and take full controll.

-sits back-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »

It seems...appropriate. All colonies could function as a confederacy of quasi-independent colony-states, each with power over their own region but with legislation demanding that they follow direct orders from the master state, that state being the Interstellar Government; us, I guess. Although, I assumed that we already had a majority voting system in place?

*turns to the BNE delegate* And I hold no ill will towards Britain proper, just so you are aware, sir. The South African territories are perfectly aware and quite happy of the fact that we are still part of the Empire.
Absconditus

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

((Commonwealth...))
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27