Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: You Are Humanities Interstellar Government!  (Read 14536 times)

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Humanities Interstellar Government!
« Reply #360 on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »

((Long in the past, here, I'd say. I'd imagine the original Commonwealth collapsed when Britain declared that it was going back to having an Empire, and then after a while of that, thats how we got to where we are today.

Although I may be misinterpreting you as you only stated one word. :/

EDIT: we are in the FUTURE man EVRYTHING can be handwaved))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:16:28 pm by Demonsul »
Absconditus

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:41 pm »

((Eh, Commonwealth just sounds better anyway :P))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »

((true, but its doubtfull the common wealth would just go back into the fold without some major shit to prompt them, ie: global destruction, not to mention if britain reforged the common wealth that would be half the planet earth under 1 rule in 1 go, wich is not this future situation.))
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 09, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »

((Never said it was the size of the old one. And the british don't actually have any power over the commonwealth members.))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 09, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »

((i know, wich is why its hellava lot very unlikely :) anyways, enought history speculation, on with the roleplay!))

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 09, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »

*The R.S.P. Representative is glaring at all the other rep's in the room.*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 09, 2011, 05:32:52 pm »

evolution of human colonists will become aparent within a few generations. as it has for those who have settled mars.
the differences in gravity -the main force by wich our biology measures itself by to build and measure- mean that our martian cousins are alot taller than earth comparisons. their still human, just different since lower gravity provides fewer obsticals to be overcome for larger organisms.

Thats not true change.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:29 pm »

As Meditator I would like to point out the 'martians are taller becouse of lower gravity' is a common superstition that has been disprooven, as evolution is not a thinking thing, creatures mutate randomly and either live longer becouse of said mutation, and thus are more likely to breed and spred said mutation, or they don't.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 09, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »

Mediative, now that we know what are our objectives for these planets, is there anything else we must discuss about before sending the report of this meeting to the governments?

((AKA what else to do for now?))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 09, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

OOC here: No, they would be. This is not 'evolution' per say, we can go though a limited amount of physical change in as few as one generation by our bodies trying to adapt to what our parents are going though when we are in gestation. In a lower gravity environment humans would indeed quickly grow taller in a few short generations as our bodies grow in the same way, but with less weight. Growing up in a lower gravity environment would make taller, weaker, people.

Edit: And of course even with that a true change to a higher height would indeed most likely be one of the things that would happen. Evolution is not unguided, it is in fact guided by selection and in a lower gravity environment being taller would be the name of the game, or at least it would not be bad for one like it is on earth.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:22:57 pm by Criptfeind »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »

((OOC:Ok, just for the sake of my own sanity in trying to keep track of it all this is normal scifi rules, IE humans on different planets are still human with little to no differences. It's not realistic but it makes it easier for me to keep track.))
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 09, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »

That makes sense. I would assume that we would be going to places within a normal tolerance for gravity anyway. It is not like we are going to see any really wacky stuff.

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 09, 2011, 08:13:44 pm »

There is something I am not clear on, unfortunately; the briefings I have received were, well, brief in regards to some things. Under what dominion will the colonies be, officially? This doesn't even give me a name, it is simply stating 'to be decided'.

And has it yet been decided whether Earth nations can claim out-of-system land? If not, the South African Territories would vote against that one.
Absconditus

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2011, 02:55:11 am »

I'd vote that each country be responsible for it's citizen, and the colonies are to be under a United Nations mandate, until de dust of colonization has setlled. It make no sense to have democracies with population doubling every few months.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

(( meh, change is change, environmentaly or geneticaly, but well stick with the simple rules. I know space mucks up with most biological beings from gravity high worlds, and it IS because of mars lower gravity that people would be taller. Youve as good as said as much, it just wouldnt be technical evololution or genetic change ))

The settlement of these worlds will take years if not the rest of the decade,
the travel time along with the building requirements and the fact the terraforming will take a good 2 years in and of itself.

it makes sense to have a democratic system in place from the beginning. each new wave being intergrated into the society as a whole.

Im sure for the first few theyll be fine with our direct controll. but well need to set the democracy up fairly fast, or esle we are in danger of making factions on these new worlds that could lead to more conflict between the council members of sol, as wile our countrys would be responsable, they are, after all, an 8 month space journey and alot of cash in the form of a ship. To try controll them as well as would be required will be next to impossible. Orders have a nasty habbit of being misherd over such distances. we dont want a repeat of the Titan incident. -rebelling collonists-

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27