Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Things that make your life easier in games  (Read 1126 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Things that make your life easier in games
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »

For me, it's mainly auto-resolve and instant move. Auto-resolve for when I don't feel like playing through a battle and just want the strategic aspects, and instant move for faster turns.

That reminds me, is there anything that can make ships instant move in GalCiv II?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that make your life easier in games
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:51:49 pm »

Meow, did this deserve a thread? YUP
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:29:02 am by Rex_Nex »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »

F5

Also known as the quicksave button, in many games. (or at least I usually set it to that)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:34 am »

Auto-turn, because I truly hate pressing "next turn", when I have nothing to do.  Repeatedly.

Sadly, I've only seen this feature with the Master of Orion series and Aurora.

Aurora is slighty better in this regard, as it has interrupt rates, cycle duration, and customizable triggers, all of which give the user more control.

And yes, I believe OP was proper to start a topic on such an important idea.  Been tempted to do the same myself from time to time.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:28:11 am »

Documentation.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:36:43 am »

As broken as it was to some people, they don't realize how late in the game you actually end up being in to have a complete collection, which then breaks the game if made well enough and characters are specialized enough (It's absolutely broken if you have a set where it's 'set it and forget it' against Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat, 4-8 hours later, everyone's still alive, and the wyrms were a memory). And even early-game, it's not all that useful, and mid-game is still not full-blown lazy mode yet. Final Fantasy XII's Gambit system comes to mind. But like I said, mid-late to late game is when it really becomes broken; but by then, you should nearly be done with hunting anyway.

Maybe the most common use I had was a decent health level auto-heal (<30% HP => Curaja, All Party) as well as auto-libra ("scan") if nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:42:12 am by Itnetlolor »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:34:10 am »

AutoHotKey   ;D
I got nothing

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:34:30 am »

Dusk Balls. :D
They started to collide~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 01:36:45 am »

My insanity and willingness to level-grind.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 01:38:20 am »

An active pause button :P.

Also easy alt-tabbing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:51 am »

Aurora is slighty better in this regard, as it has interrupt rates, cycle duration, and customizable triggers, all of which give the user more control.

That's mostly because Aurora would be unplayable without autoturns. Having played it, I feel that any mention of Aurora in a "things that make life easier" thread must be suitably qualified.  ;)

As for the topic: auto-save would be a big one - mashing the quick-save button every 5 steps feels kinda... cheap, but losing hours of gameplay to a single mistake is horrendous.

Being able to pause anywhere, at any time, preferably with a single button. Doesn't matter if there's some awesome cutscene showing, or if you think pausing breaks immersion - if the phone rings, I need to be able to pause now. (Online games being an obvious exception.)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:11 am »

Adjustable font size...bad eyes....need to increase font size or squint.  Squinting = not fun.  Gamers getting older...this will be/is a widely needed option.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:29 am »

Turning the camera around like a madman, and constantly mashing "TAB"..

Helps in PvP MMO's  ;D
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:42 am »

I'd vote for auto-save, and quick-save, but one place they're unhelpful is in Fallout 3, where they cause (delayed) crashing. Not-so-fun ensues when you leave them on.

In first or third person shooters on the PC, a toggle crouch key, instead of having to hold down a key.

The last time I used auto-resolve/auto-battle was in Shadow Magic - not because it works well there, just because I'd never used it there before (the result was rather comical): Its simulator placed my army of 5 skeleton archers, 2 undead healer-types, and 1 hero right next to the enemy army of 3 warrior-types. They proceeded to wtfpwn my 8-unit army (and lost 2 units themselves) due to being at point-blank range and moving first. I sent overwhelming numbers of archers so they could annihilate the enemy from afar, not so they could travel to point-blank range, let the enemy move first, and get annihilated. :P

The only game I've played where auto-resolve seems somewhat sane is Sword of the Stars. Everything else I've tried it in has had wildly varying results depending on whether you do the battle yourself or auto-resolve it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:15 am »

Save states when using emulators.
Also, an optional key config optimized towards laptops.
Pages: [1] 2