Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Titans?  (Read 2272 times)

Koollan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Plunge thy sword into thine Water Dragon
    • View Profile
Titans?
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »

I'm really confused about Titans. They seem extremely interesting by the sounds of it, but I just can never seem to find one in adventure mode. I'd love to try and plunge a sword into a water nematode, or try and hack an axe through a swamp turtle.
I would just like an explanation. Do Titans appear in adventure mode, and what are they exactly?
Never again may my Water Dragon get loose.
For it is now within a wooden cage.
Those bars may never be penetrated.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titans?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:19 pm »

1) The best way to find them is by doing enough quests that you get referred to get a castle from a civ leader to kill one.
2) Advanced worldgen parameters includes a "titan count". ABUSE IT.

Koollan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Plunge thy sword into thine Water Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:14:53 pm »

Ah. So, I guess it's time for me to stab some night monster eyes and cut some bogeymen throats.

Time to make the Titan World.
Never again may my Water Dragon get loose.
For it is now within a wooden cage.
Those bars may never be penetrated.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:55:28 am »

Ah. So, I guess it's time for me to stab some night monster eyes and cut some bogeymen throats.

Time to make the Titan World.
I normally see them pop up after one of two things:

1.  I spam the crap out of the "surroundings" option when talking to people.
2.  I get enough renown that I'm sent to a leader to get quests from.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:20:38 am »

Titans are usually pretty underwhelming, at least in my experience. As soon as I enter the temple area one of my crossbowmen shoots the titan and it immediately dies. This has happened twice now, though I don't know how many encounters I've had in total.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:22 am »

Titans are usually pretty underwhelming, at least in my experience. As soon as I enter the temple area one of my crossbowmen shoots the titan and it immediately dies. This has happened twice now, though I don't know how many encounters I've had in total.

Sometimes random nasties (Titans, Forgotten Beasts, HFS) are composed entirely of some kind of gas, liquid, or powder. In these cases, they are very weak and can die from one shot to the head or body. In all other cases they should be harder to kill, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:04:09 am »

Titans are the same as FB, just aboveground. Sometimes, they are easy, and sometimes, they are near invincible.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:12 am »

Yeah, they vary wildly. At least they don't have syndromes, those damn things have wiped out my dwarf mode military over and over again!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

A little advice, watch out for titans made of fire, they do have a chance of making you bleed to death by melting your fat.
Blargh.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:48:48 pm »

Yeah, they vary wildly. At least they don't have syndromes, those damn things have wiped out my dwarf mode military over and over again!!

Actually, they can have syndromes - out of a sample group of 5000 titans + 4335 forgotten beasts + 5000 demons, 51% of the titans had syndromes while forgotten beasts were at 71% and demons were at 63%.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:31 am »

A little advice, watch out for titans made of fire, they do have a chance of making you bleed to death by melting your fat.

Or they'll keep batting you while you bite them to death. It's luck, really.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:59 pm »

Some titans just fight in the most inneficient way. I remember fighting a giant bird type titan with an experienced swordsman and a band of a few spearmen, axemen and rangers, about 6 total. I rushed the beast head on and it clawed at me, while I managed to get a few stabs in it. Eventualy it managed to knock me out, don't remember how, several turns passed and I thought I was going to die there, but then I wake up.

When I woke up I noticed the beast was dead, an axeman had killed it, the jerk. But the worse part was when I checked the wounds screen: the thing basicaly tore half of my face away. I had lost my nose, an ear, an eye, lips and other stuff. I survived that, but I bet the king who I reported the titan's death to must've been at least a bit distressed to see me.

The odd thing is, that megabeast could've attacked me anywhere and prob killed me, but it wasted several turns clawing my face off instead of ripping my guts out.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:32:21 am »

Some titans just fight in the most inneficient way. I remember fighting a giant bird type titan with an experienced swordsman and a band of a few spearmen, axemen and rangers, about 6 total. I rushed the beast head on and it clawed at me, while I managed to get a few stabs in it. Eventualy it managed to knock me out, don't remember how, several turns passed and I thought I was going to die there, but then I wake up.

When I woke up I noticed the beast was dead, an axeman had killed it, the jerk. But the worse part was when I checked the wounds screen: the thing basicaly tore half of my face away. I had lost my nose, an ear, an eye, lips and other stuff. I survived that, but I bet the king who I reported the titan's death to must've been at least a bit distressed to see me.

The odd thing is, that megabeast could've attacked me anywhere and prob killed me, but it wasted several turns clawing my face off instead of ripping my guts out.

My god the possibilities...

1. You could have modded in a darth vader helmet onto your character somehow.
2. You could have found an iron mask to become the man in the iron mask.
Blargh.

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »

Some titans are very hard to kill. My first titan could throw me around like a rag doll and it's bones were as hard as steel. I won only by aiming at the legs until it fell on the ground. Then I tried to repeatedly stab it in the head, but it died from loss of blood earlier than I managed to pierce it's skull. So, if titan is strong, aim for the legs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »

Most titans, if you attack them enough and are strong, will die before you.
Especially if you have plenty of cannon fodder companions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2