Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giveaways.. worth it?  (Read 840 times)

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giveaways.. worth it?
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:22 pm »

Is there any value to giving alot of free stuff in trades, I.E that the traders get really high profits, other then to get rid of excess stuff?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giveaways.. worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »

I think they bring better stuff next season if they leave with a good profit.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:11:05 pm »

Unless it has been fixed, "offering" stuff does nothing unless it is to a dwarven civilization (and then only to get a monarch). However, offering traders bigger profit margins on a trade brings more migrants, and their caravan will bring more stuff next year.

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

Basically I have -100s- of crafts, I overdid it on crafting a few years back when I still was living season to season in terms of food and drink. Right now I keep a 2-3 season stockpile of both. I also have more then 100,000 in gold and platinum crafts so I can empty every caravan for the next 10 years.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:16:33 pm »

If they like you more, they'll bring more valuable stuff, and if you're really generous, the occasional caravan being slaughtered by goblins won't start a war.

The downside is, they start bringing stuff which is more valuable by weight, which means the elves will bring bin after bin of light, expensive cloth rather than the animals you want, so you might prefer a more hardline approach with them. Or you could buy out their cloth supplies, since they apparently prefer bringing stuff you have less of.

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

I have way, way, way too much cloth right now (near a thousand). I kept buying it and leather when I had nothing else I wanted to buy.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »

I've noticed the elf and human caravans no longer bring any cloth...  I've periodically bought a few bins at a time and over the course of several years, they've brought less, less, and then none.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »

Leather seems to count as cloth for these purposes. A couple forts ago, I had a huge stockpile of leather that I was planning to turn into armor and hadn't gotten to yet, and the elves and humans brought me no cloth at all until I started using it up.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:28 pm »

Hopefully the ability to request specific goods from all traders will be implemented with all this Caravan stuff.

whitey321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:27:34 pm »

Isn't it already, well, with the dwarves anyway?
Technically, it's not pacifism, it's militant uprising led by an overly-charismatic but useless dictator
Dwarf Fortress: Life Through Hitler's Eyes

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:36 am »

Isn't it already, well, with the dwarves anyway?

Sorta - I just wish the dwarves would remember from year to year what I request and that I could set an entire category's priority all at once.  And that I could set an overall priority for a particular category... and I want a unicorn.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:43 am »

You'll have to get that from the elves.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:44 am »

The downside is, they start bringing stuff which is more valuable by weight, which means the elves will bring bin after bin of light, expensive cloth rather than the animals you want, so you might prefer a more hardline approach with them.
Weight is completely irrelevant - cloth only overrides other trade goods because it is stored in bins, meaning they get loaded onto the caravan before everything else. Besides, this almost never happens in 0.31.xx because pack animals have such a high trade capacity (3000kg on camels, 2000kg on mules and horses, 1500kg on everything else) that elves don't run out of room.

Or you could buy out their cloth supplies, since they apparently prefer bringing stuff you have less of.
This is why they bring lots of cloth - set up a cloth industry and they'll decide that you don't need any extras.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:47:28 am »

I donate stuff to caravans I no longer want.

I'll order all of my finished good, weapons, or armor bins hauled to the depot, and pick through them and give them the garbage items I no longer want. Same thing with furniture I don't want anymore.

Caravans are an excellent garbage disposal until I dig out a magma chute for efficient dumping. Atom smashing is just too slow.