Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More Vibrant Hellscape Redux: DEEP_COMMON  (Read 1675 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
More Vibrant Hellscape Redux: DEEP_COMMON
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:54 pm »

Just as the occurence some plants and animals are limited by depth, I believe that some stones, gems and ores should be limited by depth as well.

Specifically, i would like to propose a DEEP_COMMON token which would limit a stone to occurring beneath the third cavern (regardless of whether there are otherwise appropriate stone layers above it), And (eventually) to go with it a small assortment of special new high-value gems and one or two new metals with properties between those of steel and adamantine.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: More Vibrant Hellscape Redux: DEEP_COMMON
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »

Good idea.  Toady HAS said that he wanted to bring back some of the "progression" of mineral types that existed in the 2d versions of the game.  As you went further "east" you were going further "down", and the minerals found would get better and better (also magma ;))

Since they probably wouldn't be hard to do, why not break down a possible list of new tags:

[CAVERNOUS_SOIL] - Occurs as floors in caverns, only.  Implies [SOIL].  Cavern plants will grow on it.
[CAVERNOUS_ROCK] - Occurs only within the rock at the cavern depths
[DEEP_COMMON] - Occurs under all caverns
[DEEP_RARE] - Occurs only in the rock cavities that can be found in the magma sea
[DEEP_SURFACE] - Already in there but I've noticed that adding two deep surface materials leads to DF picking one or the other.
[DEEP_SPECIAL]  - Same.  It would be nice to have multi-material spires and hell-scapes
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:38:47 am »

This is a great suggestion. I'd be in favor of everything listed in this thread so far.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »

This is a bad suggestion. I'm not in favor of anything listed in this thread so far.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »

What if you only have one cavern? Or no caverns?

This is a bad suggestion. I'm not in favor of anything listed in this thread so far.

Reasons?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:26:33 pm »

What if the new metals could be forbidden (and/or made available at all levels) by modifying init.txt or d_init.txt*?

*(I'm not sure which one would be the more appropriate settings file)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

I like this idea. It adds more color to deep levels, and more incentive to dig deep. 1st cavern layer has all you need for a fort that you can get from a cavern, and less dangerous critters. And don't get me started on What Lies Below...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

(trolling removed)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:25:06 am by Toady One »
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

Isn't it cool how the first and only person who disagrees with a suggestions without giving reasons is questioned immediately, and yet not a single person who wrote "seconded" or other threadshit garbage along the lines of:

Actually, I'm waiting for my questions to be answered before I make a decision. But if you have nothing notable to add but still wish to support something 'seconded' or just 'I support this' is all you can really say in many situations. Bohandas has also supplied several in depth posts that I both agree with and disagree with.

Nobody's taking you to the Hammerer here. But as you said, you're the only one who disagreed, I would like to hear why you disagreed so I may make a decision on the topic.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:53:21 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 08:00:15 pm »

I don't want any new metals. Having a layer rich in gems ruins their value. Although I think that we should be able to mine slade in the actual hell and make blunt weapons out of it. Then have some other impenetrable rock around it. Slade would be the blunt version of adamantine.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »

Yeah, hopefully it won't be layers and layers of diamonds, and I would not support something like that. But having useful, like mineable slade-like material would certainly be useful. So I support this suggestion if it doesn't get to carried away, it should still imply some Fun and be relatively hard to get but it should be varied, not just seven different colors of Adamantine.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »

(response to trolling removed)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:25:33 am by Toady One »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »

Yeah, hopefully it won't be layers and layers of diamonds,

Agreed. That's not what what I'm advocating. What I said about gems in my suggestion was more along the lines of "different gems" rather than "more gems". Gems with a creepier, more fantasy-ish bent than the real world gems in the main, mundane cavern layers. Stuff like naturally occurring crystal skulls or weird $#!* like that.

and I would not support something like that. But having useful, like mineable slade-like material would certainly be useful. So I support this suggestion if it doesn't get to carried away, it should still imply some Fun and be relatively hard to get but it should be varied, not just seven different colors of Adamantine.

Agreed again. A large part of my inspiration for this suggestion actually relates to the concept of Not getting carried away, in that it would certainly help the game's many modders by also allowing their custom semi-uber metals to be set to be almost, but not quite, as inaccessible as adamantine... rather than either popping up just anywhere or else wasting an adamantine vein... and to also prevent said materials from being brought in caravans (IIRC, even the dwarven caravans will not bring anything that only occurs below the first cavern level. I know I read that somewhere and I'm pretty sure I've never seen them sell or offer Nether Cap wood (and that brings me to another reason for this idea: namely, Symmetry. If plants and animals can be limited by cavern level, materials should be able to too.))
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tyrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:12 pm »

New stuff is pretty much always cool, but I'd really prefer say, there are always clusters of iron ore down in the magma sea, instead of some new metal that's not-quite-adamantine.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:50 am »

Yeah, hopefully it won't be layers and layers of diamonds,

Agreed. That's not what what I'm advocating. What I said about gems in my suggestion was more along the lines of "different gems" rather than "more gems". Gems with a creepier, more fantasy-ish bent than the real world gems in the main, mundane cavern layers. Stuff like naturally occurring crystal skulls or weird $#!* like that.

That was my understanding of the OP; that new, weird gems would either replace some of the existing gems in the extreme depths or that they would be extremely rare additions to those gems.

I'd hate to see gobs of gems, that would be silly, but items that add variety to the extreme depths would be something I'd be in favor of. The strange, the wondrous, the sense of discovery; thats a big part of what makes DF fun for me.

As for Johnie, whatever. Perhaps an "I support" post is a waste of a post, but it seems I have an unlimited supply of them. I pick out cool threads, add my support to bump them, and add any tweaks or suggestions of my own if I have them (in this case I didn't have anything to add at the moment). This thread hadn't gotten much attention, and I thought it was worth promoting even if I didn't have any concrete additions at the time.
Pages: [1] 2