Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powerleveling!  (Read 1354 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Powerleveling!
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »

Lets talk about how to powerlevel for a bit. Some skills are easy to powerlevel, others take a bit of work.

At the start,  even as a peasant, Powerleveling ambush by just sneaking in someones home is relatively easy. Bogeys cant get you, and you soon get enough skill that the townsfolk start to take notice.

The second thing to powerlevel would probably be knapper/thrower. Easy to do with a macro. If you can manage to convince a peasant to come with you, then all the better.

Powerleveling swimming can be tough if your not already a novice in swimming. If not a novice, you need to take a risk and find an area of river that is not at 7/7, and you need to worry about fish. If you are a novice, just find an empty murky pool with a follower and train up to legend.

Powerlevel armor user, shield user, fighter, and dodger. This is simple, but you need at least a shield, and some copper armor head to toe. (If you want to gain in armor user). Then just look for a critter, like a duck or groundhog. Get in close, grab it with wrestling, then sit on the ground and pass time, taking hits. You will be legend in no time.

Powerlevel wrestling by using a macro.

Powerleveling weapon skills generally means fighting bogeys. Highly recommend getting full armor and powerleveling defense first.

Powerleveling observer I don't know.

Anything to add, feel free.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Powerleveling!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »

I usually just sneak the short walks I take in towns etc. sneaking gains 1 exp per step just like swimming. You can also combine them and sneak swim across intercontinental ocean.

Butcher is best trained by going into high animal density places like abandoned castles and chopping everything into bits. You get 30 exp for every piece you butcher so chop them into tiniest bits possible before they die.

Elves are annoying to train with animals since they often need confirmations to attack. The confirmation may still pop up after you have angered the animal. It's much more pain free to train versus harmless undead critters or bandits who are paralyzed from neck down. You best get such bandits by stabbing them in their upper torso and destroying the nerves in upper spine.

Paralyzed bogeymen are also excellent target dummies. Without peer infact. They are utterly harmless, yet you get huge experience from doing difficult shots at them. Theoretically, even a peasant adventurer could skip straight to legendary weapon user during his first bogey encounter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:46:26 pm by Dwarfoloid »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:50 pm »

Paralyzed bogeymen are also excellent target dummies. Without peer infact. They are utterly harmless, yet you get huge experience from doing difficult shots at them. Theoretically, even a peasant adventurer could skip straight to legendary weapon user during his first bogey encounter.

I usually do this with night creatures.  Any creature that can't feel pain can be attacked indefinitely with a blunt weapon (or a pommel strike or shaft bash) without ever dying or passing out from pain.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:25:05 pm »

Interesting. I normally get clawed and gored before hitting them once. Bogeymen, that is.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Koollan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Plunge thy sword into thine Water Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:00:37 am »

My favorite tactic for leveling my Fighting skill is going to fight a night monster, and chopping his legs and arms off. And then, I put my sword away and I proceed to bash it with my shield. Sometimes, I get fancy and break his legs and arms instead with a wrestling lock. When I get to legendary, I just take out my sword and stab him in the face.
Never again may my Water Dragon get loose.
For it is now within a wooden cage.
Those bars may never be penetrated.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:27:20 pm »

It's also worth mentioning that you can Sneak and swim at the same time, training both. Recording a macro to move right 5, then move left 5, (for example) can also help speed up this process. Only thing I hate about swimming is the water freezing solid on you.

Sneaking is also easily trained by just sneaking everywhere you travel when time is not an issue. Only problem is that your idiot companions have a tendency to run off and get lost trying to brutally kill the local wildlife while you're doing this.

Leveling defense skills can also be sped up by recording "......." as a macro and playing it over and over. Of course you have to keep an eye on your damage but in practice this doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

I'm coming to the conclusion that training Knapping is too slow to be worthwhile, though throwing is good when done with a macro. The main benefit of knapping seems to be that it raises your spacial and kinesthetic sense and those may get raised enough by training up other easier things.

I'm not sure what the point to training butchering is but it seems like more of a pain than training knapping.

As for Observer, I'm betting the only way to really train this is to sleep out in the woods in a relatively safe location so you get ambushed constantly. Maybe when cities are introduced you can get practice walking around spotting Stalking thieves or something.....

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »

How do you swim? I always get stopped at the water's edge, like my guy had hydrophobia or something.
Legacy of Insightshields

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »

press alt+move, you'll get two options, pick B  ;)
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

press alt+move, you'll get two options, pick B  ;)

<3
Legacy of Insightshields

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »

Find a giant desert scorpion. Rip off, cut off, in general get rid both of his pincers and his stingers. Without getting stung, of course.

You have now a PERFECT legendary wrestling training dummy. It's not going to deal any damage to you, and the XP gain is memorable. Also helps Fighter, Armor User, Shield User, Dodger

Plus it's just badass to wrestle a GIANT DESERT SCORPION.