Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cave Fungi  (Read 9203 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Fungi
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:21 am »

Items can have fixed temperatures, it's just that the game doesn't read them in some cases (which is, admittedly, not useful...). For example, if you create a fire imp in the arena and give it some nethercap equipment, the equipment will resist the lava so long as it's in the imp's inventory being held or worn. Drop it, and the game loses track of its temperature status and treats it like generic wood, which is assumed to not resist magma.

You can have fireproof clothing to protect dwarves (don't forget to do something about those exposed, fat-containing toes and fingers), but it won't protect itself.

Thanks! but, does having fire-proof clothing matters? just now I can remember that nose, ears and eyes can't get covered by any cloth.
That would be be akward if someone dies of nose bleed (please... take it literaly, or... well...forget.).
In a time before time, I had a name.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 02:22:40 pm »

I made a thread with some arena mode testing but I can't find it again. In summary, off the top of my head plus some quick retesting:

* Toes, fingers, and facial features of the default humanoid form are not covered by armour.
* Toes and fingers contain fat, which melts and catches fire very easily and also bleeds a lot.

There are quite a lot of changes you can make to the raws to get around this.

* Give toes and fingers the [LIMB] token, allowing the armour stepping to reach them. This does allow dwarves to wrestle with individual fingers, and still leaves facial features exposed to general attacks.
* Remove fat from toes and fingers. This stops them from bursting into flames, but leaves them exposed to general attacks.
* Make fat as a material a little less volatile by altering its melting and ignition points.
* Make fat as a tissue have less of a blood supply. Not enough granularity here -- setting it to 1 makes fat melting easy to shrug off, and setting it to 2 makes little difference. (The default is 3.)
* Make toes, fingers, and facial features [INTERNAL], making them not directly targetable at all. I didn't like the results of this, though I don't remember why.

You might also want to tweak the healing rates of certain tissue types while you're working on exposed body parts. Nail and cartilage have no healing rates, making any injuries to them permanent and, more importantly, permanently open to infection.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »

You might also want to tweak the healing rates of certain tissue types while you're working on exposed body parts. Nail and cartilage have no healing rates, making any injuries to them permanent and, more importantly, permanently open to infection.
The first thing I do when I install DF is putting healing rate of 100 in both(in real life it should be less...). does head veil cover the nose and other face stuff?
Also, I din't knew that fingers don't get covered by armor... Thanks!
In a time before time, I had a name.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:23 pm »

I just intended to give them a fire resistant cloak. Obviously it wouldn't protect them from swimming in magma (although I thought about trying to make a garment that covered everything), but hopefully it should be able to shrug off most fire-based attacks. Really the idea was to protect marksdwarves guarding the magma forges by the magma sea from various magma based life, and maybe the occasional shower of magma mist.

Ironically, in this fort I breached the caverns in search of magma faster than I built my plots in the soil layer. So by the time I got around to building my plots, the mined out areas were infested with young trees I can't cut down.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:10 pm »

Construct a dirt road over them. This removes saplings and dead shrubs, and leaves soil. On that soil you can then build your farm plot, because dirt roads aren't actual buildings.

I'd recommend to also give your magmaguards shields - those can block a lot of attacks, even some 'magical' types, and should provide a measure of security against the notorious magma crabs, whose rock projectiles do pure kinetic energy damage with no fire component.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:33 pm »

does head veil cover the nose and other face stuff?
No armour/clothing covers facial features, because the tags they have make them uncoverable by armour/clothing.

Clothes are a kind of armour, or possibly vice versa depending on how much weight you place on the file name. The only hard difference between an armour item in item_armor.txt and a clothing item in the same file is the ARMORLEVEL token. If it's 0, the item can be part of a civilian unit's pregenerated wardrobe, picked up by clothing-hunting civilians, and will slowly degrade as a unit wears it. If it's not 0, only military units will wear it when entering the map (exception: hunters), civilians won't wear it unless it's part of a military uniform, and it won't degrade when worn.

Material is irrelevant, and though there are only two materials that can normally be made into both armour and clothing you could have non-degradable wool items and degradable steel items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »

This means that items can't have fixed temperature?
Items can have fixed temperatures, it's just that the game doesn't read them in some cases (which is, admittedly, not useful...). For example, if you create a fire imp in the arena and give it some nethercap equipment, the equipment will resist the lava so long as it's in the imp's inventory being held or worn. Drop it, and the game loses track of its temperature status and treats it like generic wood, which is assumed to not resist magma.

You can have fireproof clothing to protect dwarves (don't forget to do something about those exposed, fat-containing toes and fingers), but it won't protect itself.
I tested this in the arena, silk modded with a fixed temperature (like nethercap) burns when attacked by a fire imp.
I then modded silk to have a ignite point of 55000 (which should be far above anything), and that stopped fireballs, sometimes. Breathing fire would still bypass the clothes, although the clothes did not burn, just the dwarf underneath.

So using a fixed temperature on clothes will not protect dwarf from fire at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:58 am »

Ironically, in this fort I breached the caverns in search of magma faster than I built my plots in the soil layer. So by the time I got around to building my plots, the mined out areas were infested with young trees I can't cut down.
(b) (O)
Builds a dirt road that resets all soil/sand/loam back to their fallowed form.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:38 am »

Hello!

(b) (O)
Builds a dirt road that resets all soil/sand/loam back to their fallowed form.

Thank you! I will give that a try. In my current fortress, I have breached the caverns (I think the second time since cavern layers became standard, and the first where I continued play afterwards, the first fortress entertaining an uninvited guest), and the fungi and things are spreading like wildfire.

Interestingly, I can't seem to mark wild plump helmet for plant gathering, but I saw a dwarf eating plump helmet (I don't have underground farms since I prefer the much simpler routine of surface farming)....

However, as for engravings, I want to quote my game log:
The impertinent vegetation has defaced a Olin Zasathser!

Due to initial low flows in the channels and at the spout, there were some tiles in the channels from the river to my cistern. They were counted as muddied, so shrubs and fungiwood took root and destroyed several engravings  :(
So, engravings do not offer perfect protection.

Yours,
Deathworks

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »

The impertinent vegetation has defaced a Olin Zasathser!

I didn't even know that was possible... that's neat! I would have thought the engraving would just be sitting under the vegetation.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]