Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cave Fungi  (Read 9208 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Fungi
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:06 am »

building your dining room in soil.  What are you, a kobold?

You can dig out the non-matching walls and construct regular ones if you want.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:48 am »

Yeah, just use (d) (t) to designate those giant mushrooms for cutting. Enjoy your multicolored logs!

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:28 am »

You can build floors, if you really want to...
I would just dig a new dining hall deeper. Now you have a tree farm, and that's always good to have.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »

I would just dig a new dining hall deeper. Now you have a tree farm, and that's always good to have.
Tree farm and underground livestock pasture, if you're into grazing livestock at all.

/used to have a cave system full of capybara herds

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »

Tree farm and underground livestock pasture, if you're into grazing livestock at all.

/used to have a cave system full of capybara herds

FILL YOUR DINING ROOM WITH ALPACAS.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:22 pm »

Note to self: OMG I forgot a magma plumbing system in my latest mountain citadel! What kind of dwarf am I!? Oh right, I was dealing with dehydration which led to premature opening of caverns which led to maulings by Giant Olms every other week. Once I sort out the giant olm plague ill get around to getting hot, fresh magma available.  Friggin giant olms...

On topic: tree farm! Although I like the periodic purge-by-magma idea too.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »

In his defense, I had a dirt dining room for TEN game years before successfully pumping through the aquifer.  I called that whole z-level "dust town" in homage to Dragon Age.

Obviously, this guy's dwarves are hippies.  Don't hate.  They're gonna save the world... once they run out of weed.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 03:16:37 pm »

Magma purge won't actually work in all cases, though, I don't think. Nether cap wood can't change temperature, which means it's magma-proof. Probably true before you chop them down too.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »

Those big shrooms in your picture, those aren't your normal fungus.

Those are the size of trees. Get rid of them first.
*cough* They are trees.
What would be dorfier than dining in an unfurnished room full of fungus and giant towercaps? Dorfy

Anyway, I think that building your dining room in clay layer is a bad idea. You are missing on alot of dwarf happiness that you would get from an engraved dining room and most importantly: Those damn plants and trees just keep popping up and blocking the place unless you floor it.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 04:07:53 pm »

Magma purge won't actually work in all cases, though, I don't think. Nether cap wood can't change temperature, which means it's magma-proof. Probably true before you chop them down too.

Trees don't burn period.
More on topic, I have my dining rooms and sleeping quarters either in the soil layers or above ground.  My general advice to dealing with cave moss or grass is to ignore it or if you must have uniformity, obsidian cast your rooms. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:39 pm »

Trees don't burn period.
Adventurers can set them on fire.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »

Nether cap wood can't change temperature, which means it's magma-proof.
The game skips magma safety checks for certain categories of items, presuming them to be unsafe (note that you cannot make a furnace from nethercap logs, even though their fixed temperature makes them in theory both fire-safe and magma-safe).

Nethercap minecarts at least will disintegrate in magma. Based on earlier tests done with green glass, I think loose nethercap items aren't safe but buildings made from nethercap items are.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 09:13:32 pm »

The game skips magma safety checks for certain categories of items, presuming them to be unsafe (note that you cannot make a furnace from nethercap logs, even though their fixed temperature makes them in theory both fire-safe and magma-safe).

Nethercap minecarts at least will disintegrate in magma. Based on earlier tests done with green glass, I think loose nethercap items aren't safe but buildings made from nethercap items are.
This means that items can't have fixed temperature?
In a time before time, I had a name.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 10:58:46 am »

Nether cap wood can't change temperature, which means it's magma-proof.

Sad news indeed. I started a fort (in a slightly modded DF) with the intention of creating items from a modded material that behaves like nethercap. In particular I wanted to shear fur from magma crabs to make fire proof clothing (the hair has a specified temperature like nethercap).

Well, I'll see how it goes anyway.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:46 am »

This means that items can't have fixed temperature?
Items can have fixed temperatures, it's just that the game doesn't read them in some cases (which is, admittedly, not useful...). For example, if you create a fire imp in the arena and give it some nethercap equipment, the equipment will resist the lava so long as it's in the imp's inventory being held or worn. Drop it, and the game loses track of its temperature status and treats it like generic wood, which is assumed to not resist magma.

You can have fireproof clothing to protect dwarves (don't forget to do something about those exposed, fat-containing toes and fingers), but it won't protect itself.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3