Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [PROJECT/SUGGESTION] Bay 12 MUCK  (Read 4595 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: [PROJECT/SUGGESTION] Bay 12 MUCK
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 07:15:45 pm »

Also, sorry for being a douche, I'm not usually like that.  I'm just torn between conflicting and very strong impulses of "I need to write MUCK code" and "FOOL, you need your free time".

Still, I can at least poke at stuff if you ever need.  :P  Just not, like, head-code-wiz or anything.  That...well, yeah, I've done that a few too many times.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:39 pm »

Sounds like it might be interesting, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Also, don't forget about the mushrooms in this 'dwarf vs non-dwarf' debate. I'm sure plenty of people would love to play as plump helmet people!

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »

Well, there's been lots of posts. About the port forwarding, yes, I have seen that site, and no, I can't set up port forwarding, having seen it. I'm hoping someone will volunteer a server later.

I've decided that the people who like "critter people" will be allowed to pick a critter person that is *implemented in DF*. However they must remember that it's a dwarf fortress, not a critter person fortress, and they'll need to find a good IC way for being there (traded by elves, captured & enslaved, befriended [needs a IC reference, by that I mean a character to be the befriender, who is able to befriend this character]) to not get kicked out by the admins.

Denzi: Plump helmet... no way. No *#!@$ way.

Fayrik: I've decided to make it a single world (DF). Events will include raids, celebrations, et cetera. I plan to make a small area that's a Elven camp, and get some volunteers to RP for raids.

Everyone: It will be a while before this actually gets going. I have to get it running and then do some building, which I plan to do at my own pace. Stay tuned for occaisonal updates.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »

I've decided that the people who like "critter people" will be allowed to pick a critter person that is *implemented in DF*. However they must remember that it's a dwarf fortress, not a critter person fortress, and they'll need to find a good IC way for being there (traded by elves, captured & enslaved, befriended [needs a IC reference, by that I mean a character to be the befriender, who is able to befriend this character]) to not get kicked out by the admins.

Instead of kicking people out, it's probably better to make people go through an app process where the admins vet their concept before they're allowed IC.

Also, plump helmet men do exist in DF.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »

I don't normally play on full-on RP MUDs, but this would be worth a shot given that it's exclusively Bay12. The only thing I think I would like is if you had some sort of OOC chat-channel or something in addition to the regular role-playing. Though it's by all means not necessary.

I'm not much for writing MUCK code but I've done a little MU* world-building and hosted several private servers before so while you'd be better off asking other people, I believe that I might be able to help some if you'd like.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »

My point about the crittermen was an attempt to make it less one sided, but it doesn't really matter too much. (I.E: People playing Elves, or humans. Traders maybe?)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »

Also, sorry for being a douche, I'm not usually like that.  I'm just torn between conflicting and very strong impulses of "I need to write MUCK code" and "FOOL, you need your free time".

Still, I can at least poke at stuff if you ever need.  :P  Just not, like, head-code-wiz or anything.  That...well, yeah, I've done that a few too many times.

Don't bother, it's an immense waste of time. Real code is an exponentially more valuable way to spend your free hours. I say this out of experience, having coded multiple MUSH, MUX, and MUCKs. Hell, I still have a completely functional (and pretty goddamn well-done, if I do say so myself) Fallout MUX sitting on my desktop in Michigan, replete with a fully coded original SPECIAL-derived combat and inventory system, a mostly-finished GM command set, a completely described world with maps that display location from anywhere the character types +map, a... ah, crap, I'm making myself depressed just thinking about it.

Long story short: stay far, far away from MU* coding.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 10:22:09 pm »

I've built areas for a MUD before so I'd be interested in building an area for this.  I don't have meaningful programming experience so don't ask me to write major code, though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 03:15:09 am »

I dont know why this is all talk about making it RP oriented. Why not just make it a social mu*, that allows users to make a small little personal world for RPing or what not.

I wouldnt mind hanging out there, as I generally have my mu* client open. I wont be doing any sort deving work on their though, with working on my own Mush, Navitas, and working on over hauling another mush from scratch.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »

Hmm, all very interesting.

I think I'll have to wait a while on starting this up, as I need to figure out how to get my own server space (VPS?) I'll definitely try to work on it a little now and then, but as for actually playing it, that will have to wait until I get a server.

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 02:56:48 pm »

Instead of kicking people out, it's probably better to make people go through an app process where the admins vet their concept before they're allowed IC.

Also, plump helmet men do exist in DF.
They do? Darn. And I was gonna have wizards view the proposals, et cetera...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

The basic rule of thumb is if its an animal in DF, it probably has an animalman counterpart, as well as a giant counterpart if its small.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »

The basic rule of thumb is if its an animal in DF, it probably has an animalman counterpart, as well as a giant counterpart if its small not a megabeast.
Fixed.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »

I've got a little question for ya.

What is the intended level of RP?  Are we talking D&D style, chatroom RP style, or elitist RPI style.

I highly prefer the latter myself and was simply wondering what to expect from this.  I think the terms speak for themselves, but I can clarify what I mean by each if you like.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »

Umm... roleplay. By this I don't mean DnD type RPG's, as far as I can tell they're more about fighting than actual roleplaying. What I mean is the MUCK style of roleplay, where you just... play roles. I don't know a specific name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3