Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider deployment ideas?  (Read 592 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spider deployment ideas?
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »

I have two now, so far both untamed, both female, one significantly larger and stronger than the other. My first experiment with having them web cage traps for F.B. capture went badly (as in i had to get 5 dwarves and a goose out of cages).  I understand the design principle for containment, and pastures make it rather easy to get the spiders to shoot, but how the hell do you keep your dwarves from being captured? Should I tame one (maybe the named one, who killed many dwarves before we got her?)?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spider deployment ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »

By capturing you mean...? The GCSs are webbing your Dwarves...? Not sure if tamed ones web correctly, + one who has already killed Dwarves will have a Dwarf flesh fixation.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »

No I mean I have two caged giant cave spiders, I put one in a little fortification bunker in a strategic but not pathway location, put an armor stand in front, and some cage traps in a semi-circle 2 spaces away. then I pastured a goose near the armor stand.

Then I pulled a lever, the spider shot a bunch of webs, which I forbade. Then dwarves started freaking out and running into cage traps, so I got worried we were going to run out of active cages to recapture the spider, unlocked the spider's door and she landed in her own personal trap.

And thus I was left with
a. the same (thankfully uninjured) spider,
b. several annoyingly caged dwarves,
c. No F.B. trap! :(

I heard tame spiders don't shoot webs unless attacked, but I'd probably use it as a frontliner, i just worry the webs would get my people too.

Also--flesh fixation?  As in once they're killers they'll always be hostile even if tame?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:16:04 pm »

Also--flesh fixation?  As in once they're killers they'll always be hostile even if tame?

It will gladly chow down on your dwarves, who will think it's tame and do nothing to stop it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!