Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Side-Effects of new Nobles with duplicate responsibilities?  (Read 1367 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Side-Effects of new Nobles with duplicate responsibilities?
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:17 pm »

Ok, so in a recent modded game I noticed that if I have more than one noble who has the TRADE responsibility, only one of them will actually trade, and I was wondering if there were similar problems with other duplicated responsibilities or any other side effects that anybody else has noticed.

In short, what I'm most concerned about are:

1.) If I have multiple positions filled with the ACCOUNTING, HEALTH_MANAGEMENT, or LAW_ENFORCEMENT (etc) responsibility tokens, withh they both be able to do that job, or will only one of them do it

2.) Are there any other problems that could arise from multiple positions with the same responsibilities?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Side-Effects of new Nobles with duplicate responsibilities?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:12 pm »

Ok, so in a recent modded game I noticed that if I have more than one noble who has the TRADE responsibility, only one of them will actually trade
First or last position?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »

I think the newest one.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:23 pm »

I believe the position with the higher [PRECEDENCE] value is chosen to carry out the task.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »

So if you made a noble with PRECENDENCE:0 and every task they would be the go-to-guy if there was nobody else who could do it?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:21 pm »

I believe the position with the higher [PRECEDENCE] value is chosen to carry out the task.

That's also a possibility. I think my noble who suddenly became my only trader had a better precedence value in addition to being newer.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

The question remains, however, of whether this applies to all responsibilities, or just to trading?

EDIT: added questionmark
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:36:03 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »

Because I'd like to add a bunch of extra bookkeepers and managers, to expediate management and bookkeeping, and I want to know whether this would be useless. Has anybody already tried this who can tell me what the result was?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:48 pm »

You can appoint more than one of each noble position. It won't let you have overlapping responsibilities, but they should all individually do the jobs of their position.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:01 pm »

You can appoint more than one of each noble position. It won't let you have overlapping responsibilities, but they should all individually do the jobs of their position.

So then increasing the number of bookkeepers or managers would work, but adding subordinate bookkeepers and managers with lower precedence wouldn't?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:41 pm »

I presume you'd run into the same problem you had originally, since they'd have to be different positions.

I'm not sure how the [COMMANDER:] tag works (does it stop you appointing new underlings if the commander dies, or does it sack everyone if the commander dies?), but having one head manager without the managing responsibilities and then several subordinate proper managers would work if you wanted the command structure above everything else.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:21:12 pm »

Just whack [RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING] on the manager, CMD and broker in entity_default, generate a young pocket world real quick and see what happens, all you need to do is build a bunch of chairs, appoint them and let them do the stocktaking. Then equalise their precedences and do it again. Maybe let it run a few months and compare the stock-taking quality accumulation to vanilla if multiples seem to be doing the work at once.

tl;dr: time for !!SCIENCE!!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:32 am »

What if you mod civs to have multiple ambassadors? Will they all arrive to your fortress? Will you then be able to strike different agreements with every one of them? How will that affect the next year caravan?

Can you mod several traders, by the way?

King with several consorts would be easy though, I think.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:27 am »

What if you mod civs to have multiple ambassadors? Will they all arrive to your fortress? Will you then be able to strike different agreements with every one of them? How will that affect the next year caravan?

Can you mod several traders, by the way?

King with several consorts would be easy though, I think.
The last agreement should be the only one which counts. You have that info in the civ. screen and it is updated with every agreement.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository