Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make an Asylum?  (Read 1669 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
How to make an Asylum?
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:37:19 am »

Why do I make an insane asylum for my failed moods,miserables, etc.? I want to do this for teh lawls, and also so I can release them as a final resort
 :D

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an Asylum?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:01 am »

I think maybe the best way would be burrows, but I don't know if the insane respect burrow limitations.

otherwise, I'd say you might have to dig out an area, make sure it's only accessible via drawbridge, then catch the insane with cages, build the cages in the asylum, and release them.

And make sure there's a food/drink stockpile with a channel above it. That way you can drop food/drink down there. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the insane eat. . .in which case they might just all starve to death and an asylum isn't worth it.

Any experts on the insane?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

I think maybe the best way would be burrows, but I don't know if the insane respect burrow limitations.

otherwise, I'd say you might have to dig out an area, make sure it's only accessible via drawbridge, then catch the insane with cages, build the cages in the asylum, and release them.

And make sure there's a food/drink stockpile with a channel above it. That way you can drop food/drink down there. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the insane eat. . .in which case they might just all starve to death and an asylum isn't worth it.

Any experts on the insane?
!!SCIENCE!! is required immediately!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:16 am »

insane dwarfs do not eat or drink
/science

:P

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:57 am »

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to restrain any dwarf on-command.  In the case that you did, in fact, manage to stun/unconsciousatize an insane dwarf on a cage trap, and s/he was captured, would they eat or drink the food brought to them while they were imprisoned?  I'm not sure if "Give Food" requires any action on the part of the receiver, and I'm not even sure if anyone would even bring them food, at all, since they don't try with normal, wandering insane folk.  I can't say I know anything about Berserk dwarves eating (I've never had one survive more than a minute or two), but I assume they don't.  And, melancholy and stark raving mad dwarves would provide an extremely short "last resort," basically as meat shields for maybe 2-5 hits.  Berserk ones would be cool, at least as long as they didn't start attacking each other.

What I'm trying to say is, this would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do.  Interesting idea, though!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:51:03 am »

No, insane don't eat, they just wander around aimlessly (or violently) until they die of starvation or dehydration, unless *cough*something else*cough* kills them first.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

Perhaps you could hospitalize them through cave-in or something. Any normal dwarf would get fed and given water in such conditions, so perhaps the insane too.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

onart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:57 am »

bezerk dwarves are counted as enemy right ? then you can make an construction of bridges that close when he walks over the pressure plate and then you just use the lever to make the retangular bridge dissapear so he falls into the water and then you use the other lever to make the water go away. <edit> hey! another dutch one! <edit>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:57:11 am by onart »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:35 am »

In theory, berserk dwarves (but not melancholy or babbling) should trigger cage traps.  I don't think your other dwarves will feed or water him even if he's in a cage however, so you'll only have your caged insane dwarf for a limited time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:59:47 am »

In theory, berserk dwarves (but not melancholy or babbling) should trigger cage traps.  I don't think your other dwarves will feed or water him even if he's in a cage however, so you'll only have your caged insane dwarf for a limited time.
Force feed water?  :P

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:20:07 pm »

Do berserk dwarves starve? I had the baron's heir trapped in the noble bedroom for two seasons with no consequences.

Though I guess I kept tossing him pets I thought he'd like.  He generally tore them into pieces but I don't think he ate them.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »

I guess what you would do is first make a large room with a 3 by 2 passageway out. Fill that passageway with cage traps, and make a burrow. Whenever you see a miserable dwarf, assign him/her to that burrow. So if s/he does go insane, the cage traps will catch him/her before they get out!

And to the starving thing, magma solves everything if y'know what I mean ;D

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:31:45 pm »

Do berserk dwarves starve? I had the baron's heir trapped in the noble bedroom for two seasons with no consequences.

Though I guess I kept tossing him pets I thought he'd like.  He generally tore them into pieces but I don't think he ate them.

Berserk dwarves will die, usually of thirst before hunger, unless they recently had a good drink before going insane. My broker tried to have some sort of smithing mood in my wooden-buildings, no-metal-ore-on-the-entire-map-says-DFprospector village. He was walled in almost immediately; if I'd just had one more bismuth bronze battleaxe, he might not have had to be contained...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 07:44:30 pm »

cant you just build the Cage with the berserk dwarf inside it and then declare it to be used for justice? This way, he could be feeded, if the game accepts him as Prisoner.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:44 pm »

cant you just build the Cage with the berserk dwarf inside it and then declare it to be used for justice? This way, he could be feeded, if the game accepts him as Prisoner.
I think he would be treated like a goblin  :-\