Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dented leg  (Read 1603 times)

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dented leg
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:25:31 am »

ok there was a kobold thief who decided to steal something so I sent my military after it as soon as they catch up it turns around and with one hit slashes my militia commanders leg open and breaks his arm. I've been taking care of him for a long time now and the only injury he has is a dented leg. how do I fix a dented leg? He is in a hospital with splints and a crutch in the same zone. I also have a chief medical dwarf and a bunch of dwarves with all the medical skills enabled, whats up?
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dented leg
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

Oh great!! :D he is still not walking and its winter so there is no water supply. How do i get water in winter?
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:19 pm »

remove the bed/table he is in and he will walk away to get some beer and forget about the leg

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »

I tried removing his bed and he just layed there till someone brought him to another bed.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »

Oh great!! :D he is still not walking and its winter so there is no water supply. How do i get water in winter?
Water underground does not freeze, so you'll need to seek out an underground water supply. There is almost always water in the caverns, so if you need water right now, go do some exploration around the first cavern layer. Note that only underground water is protected from freezing; just putting a roof over surface water isn't enough.

In the future, if you believe it likely that your outdoor water sources will freeze, dig out an underground water storage chamber and direct water into it. If you're filling it with an unlimited surface water source, make sure you build in some means to negate the water pressure so your fort doesn't flood.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

Dents are harmless.

b_boy_212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

Are they? I checked him out in the health screen and it said he has lost the ability to walk. And when I remove the bed someone "rescues" him.

ikarsai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »

I have one dwarf with both leg is unusable + nerve damage. Have you updated to 31.25? When I did it, my crippled soldier left the hospital almost promptly using crutches. Before the upgrade he could not do that. Now he is retired and brew and work on the fields. A bit slower but he deserve a second chance and not MAGMA.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

Are they? I checked him out in the health screen and it said he has lost the ability to walk. And when I remove the bed someone "rescues" him.

On the dwarf's health screen, is he showing motor nerve damage on the dented leg? That could be preventing him from getting up.

And if you need an idea of what the game means by "dented", think about that kobold's knife cutting off a large chunk of that dwarf's calf. That sort of boo-boo doesn't grow back.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:28 pm »

I had a dwarf lose his right foot after an encounter with a goblin.  A diagnostician evaluated him 6 times, cleaned him once and had someone else dress the wound then gave him a pair of crutches.  I noticed that the first time the Chief Medical Dwarf (CMD) prodded the dorf something changed.

Evaluated
Cleaned
Evaluated
Wound dressed
Evaluated
Smashed open wounds became "Cut open"
Evaluated
Cut Open wounds became "Torn apart"
Evaluated
Torn apart wounds stopped being wounds
Evaluated
Crutch assigned

Dwarf got up and went on his merry way.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

It looks like a dwarf is now evaluated after every treatment, which is a good thing. While treatment does take longer the odds of an infection killing the dwarf are lower, because anything that occurs while he's visiting the hospital will not be missed.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:56 pm »

I honestly have no idea how to set up a hospital. All my dwarves are covered in scars from healing by sleeping and drinking water. When a dwarf gets infected I pray he isn't "vulnerable to disease", and if he is I make sure to get him a metal crypt to make his spirt happy.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »

Fill a room full of beds and create an activity zone over the room. Toggle the hospital option. Ensure you have about 5 dwarves with all healthcare enabled but no other jobs, including no other hauling.

This is because 4 out of 5 dwarven doctors will be boozing. Hopefully 1 out of 5 will already be drunk enough to perform critical, life saving surgery.

You will also need a source of water and some buckets, some thread and cloth, and a few splints and crutches. Soap is helpful but not absolutely required.