Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Real" Language files  (Read 3077 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
"Real" Language files
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:19 am »

So far the only two language files I've found in any mod that are representative of real earth languages are English (from Hunter's Moon) and Finnish (from Genesis).  Does anyone know of any real languages that have been translated into the language_*.txt files?

Sounding real doesn't count for much more than cool points (see the "orcish" language file for an example of that.  Xinglingwanchinlantonwaitonfal is NOT freaking Chinese).
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: "Real" Language files
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:35 am »

It was not supposed to be chinese :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:54:15 am »

Nipponese then? Either way it's not remotely real.  The words that end up comming out are rediculously long and repetitive.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:07:00 am »

Nipponese then? Either way it's not remotely real.  The words that end up comming out are rediculously long and repetitive.
Doesn't look anything like Japanese to me (mainly because of "x", "l", "ng", and a few other oddities).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:42:18 am »

There was a mod somewhere out there with a latin language file, but I forget which one.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:03 am »

Latin would be perfect for humans.
Or ancient Germanic, or even ancient Greek?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:00:06 am »

Well, translating English would be easy - all the words start out in English, anyway.  You just need to copy all the words over and over again.

Code: [Select]
[TRANSLATION:ENGLISH]
[T_WORD:ABBEY:abbey]
[T_WORD:ACE:ace]

As for the rest, just strip out the "[T_WORD:", file headers, and then ":*]" to create the list of words, ram that list of words through a free translator program, and then pair up the words again.  (That last step would probably require a fairly simple script, since I can't think of a pre-existing function of a common program to do that for you.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »

Kohaku, you're a genius!

I could probably do this pretty easy now that I realize that I have the english files already!

Ugh maybe not as easy as I thought.  I don't have access to a compiler or a good computer to run it on.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:41:15 pm by Jeoshua »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

There was a mod somewhere out there with a latin language file, but I forget which one.

I don't know about previous sources, but Aspectus Lolin has a language_LATIN.txt file. I do not know where Alluvian found it. I got it from him after I lamented that english sounded off for the Angels.

If it helps track the source down... originally it had all the 'Real First Names' ie Xavier (and somewhere the real first names added to the words file. I don't have that, so I zapped that content from the language file).

As for English being easy... yes and no. It was a pain removing the 3 or 4 different 'extrabits' ie verb, v, _verb. Once that was done there was only looking up 'odd words' that at first I thought were typos... like Hame. `-`;

https://github.com/EldrickWT/My-Crazy-Dwarf-Fortress-Mods/blob/master/raw/objects/language_LATIN.txt My copy.
https://github.com/EldrickWT/My-Crazy-Dwarf-Fortress-Mods/blob/master/raw/objects/language_ENGLISH.txt My English file. Too bad I didn't think to search for one before I tackled it myself. `-`;

Note LATIN is DF Sorted. English is Alphabetically sorted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:41:34 am by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »

As for the rest, just strip out the "[T_WORD:", file headers, and then ":*]" to create the list of words, ram that list of words through a free translator program, and then pair up the words again.  (That last step would probably require a fairly simple script, since I can't think of a pre-existing function of a common program to do that for you.)

I typically use a spreadsheet for such things.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »

"Real first names" eh?

You mean people will stop being named "Dagger" (Urist)

By the way I'm getting a 404 on those files, but I am in the midst of download Aspectus.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:49 pm »

I typically use a spreadsheet for such things.

Oh, I never thought of trying that.  That might be a good idea.  I'll have to experiment with that sometime - I've always kind of liked spreadsheet programing.

Anyway, it's not like a quick script in something like Python is difficult either, though, it's just a matter of what you're used to.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:51:29 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23881.msg264660#msg264660
Has Latin I don't think anyone working on it but it works 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »

There was a German one around in a thread containing a couple of other languages, one of them Latin, but I can't find it anywhere. You'd think it would be pretty easy to find... do the forums here ever get purged?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:05 pm »

There was a German one around in a thread containing a couple of other languages, one of them Latin, but I can't find it anywhere. You'd think it would be pretty easy to find... do the forums here ever get purged?

I believe I've found it.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35842.0
Pages: [1] 2