Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Diversity In Media  (Read 8699 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Diversity In Media
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:47:23 am »

I could name a few, most of them Whedon or Whedonesque.

But I always get the feeling that those shows are doing it specifically so they can go against the stereotype and get that "Wow" impact. Which is a pretty shallow reason to do something.

e: It's like. You know when the knight in full plate comes and kicks the forest beast's ass then takes off his helmet to reveal he is a she?

Also: women do not have to have to kick ass to be strong. Neither do men for that matter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:49:12 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 01:51:21 am »

But I always get the feeling that those shows are doing it specifically so they can go against the stereotype and get that "Wow" impact. Which is a pretty shallow reason to do something.

Yeah, well. Like I said, it is the easiest way to make a show different. I have a pretty low opining of the media industry as a whole anyway, maybe I am too easily impressed by them because of that.

Edit:
e: It's like. You know when the knight in full plate comes and kicks the forest beast's ass then takes off his helmet to reveal he is a she?

Oh you mean like that? Eh... I don't really think that is what I was talking about. On the other hand, I don't have a issue with that if it is treated with respect for the rest of the show or whatever. And if you do have a midevil type show with a strong female lead I think exploring the shock value of such to the society the show takes place in is a legitimate venture.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:55:50 am by Criptfeind »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:31 am »

Yes.  I am really tired of this trope.  It basically says "A woman is more interesting when she is doing a 'man's job' and her sex is indistinguishable."  And then, inevitably, they have the episode where that woman has to realize that she can't be strong all the time, and is saved by a man.  I've never seen it where she's saved by a woman--it's always a guy.

Just once, I'd like to have someone write a sitcom from the mother's perspective, or from the daughter's.  Just once.  Not a shared thing where everyone rotates, but something where the main character is a woman, doing a "woman's job."  Just... once.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:45 am »

Oh you mean like that? Eh... I don't really think that is what I was talking about. On the other hand, I don't have a issue with that if it is treated with respect for the rest of the show or whatever. And if you do have a midevil type show with a strong female lead I think exploring the shock value of such to the society the show takes place in is a legitimate venture.
I was just making a comparison. It feels like they're doing it for the shock value in the same way.

Yes.  I am really tired of this trope.  It basically says "A woman is more interesting when she is doing a 'man's job' and her sex is indistinguishable."  And then, inevitably, they have the episode where that woman has to realize that she can't be strong all the time, and is saved by a man.  I've never seen it where she's saved by a woman--it's always a guy.
Yeah, I can't stand it either. It's almost always presented as demeaning to the male characters and you know, full plate with a helmet is pretty uncommon in fiction except in those situations (or on villians) because full plate is expensive. Expect never to see her put the helmet on again. It's just a cheap gimmick.

I don't think you'll ever have any luck with that sitcom wish though. I've never seen a sitcom without a rotating perspective. I don't think it's too much to ask for a sitcom with a main female lead in a show that isn't aimed exclusively towards women though. That seriously annoys me.

Also, while we're on sitcoms, can we stop the whole Stupid Husband/Bitchy Wife thing? Because that's one of the few tropes I've seen that is simultaneously misogynistic and misandristic.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:39 am »

What kind of diversity is this talking about? Racial diversity in media? Thats just silly. The majority of people in most Western countries are white. Therefore because it is a democracy, majority rules. And the majority want to see white people on TV. But women in media? Yeah theres not enough I think. I just get tired of the meatbag personality characters.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:30 am »

I'm sorry but...what?

First, and don't think you actually believe this, but it sounds like you're arguing for everyone on television to be white. I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE ACTUALLY SAYING THAT. It just sounds like it.

Second, fiction isn't a democracy. It isn't "I win you lose". There is plenty of room for a huuuuge range of perspectives.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 02:33:33 am »

Again, mathemagician is a general term I use for all mathematicians. It's not really a condescending term, I was just making a rapid transition. There was no 'supposed to be' in there. I was directly stating that you know math. It wasn't really necessary (we both know you know math) but I like to preface things. I'm confused, though. How am I subjugating women by making this argument? Nothing I've said is directly preventing women from running for public office, making a name for themselves, or other such things. Basically what I'm advocating is a meritocracy. Instead of fulfilling quotas of minorities, I'm of the opinion that the important characters should be the best characters. Best is open to interpretation, but in general the words I'd use to describe a 'best' character are 'interesting' and 'unique'. If a monocultural cast is interesting enough, I say go for it. If a multicultural cast is interesting, I say go for it. The differing perspectives and such add to the interest value of a character, so generally diversity helps a story.

On a more reactionary note, it'd be nice if you would blame the people that are actually subjugating women instead of lumping me in with them. You say you care not for people referring to you as objects, but then you treat me as just another misogynist. You brought up an interesting point about the man who was joking about trading sexually explicit pictures for tech support, but no, I have never dated anyone. I have tried, but I failed. Again, however, you lump me in with the men who objectify women. I resent that. I want no part of such a group, even the ones who merely jest.

If it makes you feel any better, Vector, you do a darn good job of playing the heroine of every argument you get in to. People generally agree with you because you seem to pick the 'right' options to support. When you get into something this sticky and ambiguous, peoples' opinions vary wildly. Your opinions on this matter are noted, and they are digested and contemplated. However, I do not agree with all of them.

Quote from: Vector
Y'all thank me so long as I argue against the obvious things, but as soon as I start saying "Okay, guys, the way you use language is seriously fucking problematic" it seems like you're not interested anymore.
That's just the thing. When you're championing an undeniably just cause, you aren't going to hit much resistance. When you start getting into subjective matters like the usage of language, the various shades of gray are going to have their own opinions too. The problem herein, I believe, is that people just don't want to be wrong. Imagine if you are wrong on this. (I'm not saying you necessarily are.) Wouldn't you also defend your position until the sheer weight of the opposition forced you to change? Humans are stubborn creatures, myself included.

As for strong female characters, Haley Starshine of Order Of The Stick is one of my favorite characters in any comic. The Codex Alera has a many good female characters at certain points, but far too many of them revert to 'normal' and 'womanly' professions, which frankly made me mad enough to stop reading the series halfway through, something I rarely ever do.

What kind of diversity is this talking about? Racial diversity in media? That's just silly. The majority of people in most Western countries are white. Therefore because it is a democracy, majority rules. And the majority want to see white people on TV. But women in media? Yeah there aren't enough I think. I just get tired of the meatbag personality characters.
Race, Gender, et cetera. Just because the majority of people in the West are pale doesn't mean they all want to see pale people. I personally don't mind what a character looks like. You can't discount minorities, either. In the U.S., minorities as a whole make up nearly half the population. It'd be silly to just ignore a huge bunch of people, for both economic and moral reasons. There definitely need to be more women, too. Women make up more than half the population of the world. Somehow, they make up less than a quarter of the action movie world. A strange issue that should be fixed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:14 am »

First, and don't think you actually believe this, but it sounds like you're arguing for everyone on television to be white. I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE ACTUALLY SAYING THAT. It just sounds like it.

Second, fiction isn't a democracy. It isn't "I win you lose". There is plenty of room for a huuuuge range of perspectives.

He said it pretty poorly. But the point is, media is not made to 'show something' or whatever. Media is made to make money. You target your largest demographic, even if that means you lose some others.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 02:47:54 am »

See, but I don't see how that is an argument against diversity. Your target is not only your largest demographic but as many other demographics as you can fit in without compromising the integrity of the show. And by targeting niche demographics exclusively you'll have less competition. Both are sound business strategies.

Also, I think Barbarossa said it well.

Just because the majority of people in the West are pale doesn't mean they all want to see pale people.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 02:50:15 am »

You seem to act like all shows are all white all the time. And yes, generally we do in fact want to watch people like ourselves.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 02:54:40 am »

No, that would be a ridiculous thing to believe. Actually I think racial diversity is becoming less and less an issue since there's been a huge push towards it recently.

But no, we want to watch people we can identify with. It's easier for a white person to identify with a white character, yes, but as long as the character is identifiable in some human fashion it isn't really a problem for most people.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 02:56:33 am »

But, if we can idenify with them even more so, all the beter in most peoples minds.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 02:57:50 am »

Maybe. But identification is only the first thing we look for. We also want something that brings us an experience that we wouldn't have in our normal lives.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 02:58:20 am »

I'm also going to add one last thing, having seen that a lot of Barbar's argument is about "why I keep on bringing up my gender."

I keep on bringing up my gender because I have to think about it, constantly, and I am yelling because no one seems to understand that privilege is invisible to the privileged parties no matter how many times I speak politely.  If this were about simple probability, I'd say, sure, whatever.  But it isn't about simple probability.  It's about the mechanisms of power and how they exert force on me and the people around me.

Using probability masks the fact that there are people out there damaging my rights, as a human being, and one of the ways in which this damage is exerted is through the media.  "Political correctness" is a nice word for "not fucking over other people intentionally or unintentionally."  Reviling the concept of diversity and equality in media is a damaging strategy.  Period.  End of story.

I'm not saying that people get it right, most of the time.  Usually, they are "politically correct" just to be "politically correct."  The secret is that while doing this, they still usually end up working into the schema anyway.  They just express the old tropes, again and again, and they get points for being "edgy."  The secret is that they're still failing the groups that they're theoretically trying to support, almost 100% of the time.

Therefore because it is a democracy, majority rules.

Nope, but nice try =)  If that were true, we'd have mostly female leads.  Because there's more women than there are men.

There was no 'supposed to be' in there. I was directly stating that you know math. It wasn't really necessary (we both know you know math) but I like to preface things.

Right, and it was that "supposed to be" that set me off.  Because it completely changed the meaning of what you were saying, and made it not about your probability argument, but about my skills.

How am I subjugating women by making this argument? Nothing I've said is directly preventing women from running for public office, making a name for themselves, or other such things. Basically what I'm advocating is a meritocracy. Instead of fulfilling quotas of minorities, I'm of the opinion that the important characters should be the best characters. Best is open to interpretation, but in general the words I'd use to describe a 'best' character are 'interesting' and 'unique'. If a monocultural cast is interesting enough, I say go for it. If a multicultural cast is interesting, I say go for it. The differing perspectives and such add to the interest value of a character, so generally diversity helps a story.

Because by most people's standards, "best" often means "the character I can relate with."  Those who have the power and the money thus create or fund narratives that they can identify with.  Those people are usually not women or other marginalized groups.  Sometimes, we get lucky and have narratives funded by people interested in those diverse stories, but usually we don't.  Usually, we don't have good, interesting stories about women told.  We fund the stories about men.  Because they're "better."

As I said, shows from other countries that come here are often whitewashed or written to be more male-centric.  Because that makes them "better" narratives, more worthy of our time.  They don't change anything else, though.  They won't allow even those superficial differences.

If it makes you feel any better, Vector, you do a darn good job of playing the heroine of every argument you get in to. People generally agree with you because you seem to pick the 'right' options to support. When you get into something this sticky and ambiguous, peoples' opinions vary wildly. Your opinions on this matter are noted, and they are digested and contemplated. However, I do not agree with all of them.

Do they agree with me because I pick the right options, or because I actually espouse those opinions?  Am I playing the heroine?  Rhetorically speaking, you are saying that I am putting on an act.  That I don't believe what I feel, and that I am "performing" to gain popular opinion.  That may not be what you want to say, but it is what you are saying.

Once again: pay attention to your language, please.

That's just the thing. When you're championing an undeniably just cause, you aren't going to hit much resistance. When you start getting into subjective matters like the usage of language, the various shades of gray are going to have their own opinions too. The problem herein, I believe, is that people just don't want to be wrong. Imagine if you are wrong on this. (I'm not saying you necessarily are.) Wouldn't you also defend your position until the sheer weight of the opposition forced you to change? Humans are stubborn creatures, myself included.

Well, let me put it this way.  To me, the usage of language is very clear and not at all subjective.  Like the difference between purple and orange.  I believe what I am saying.  I will defend it.  I will continue to defend it, because I know very well that I am right, and that I can argue for as long as I have to.  Should someone somehow manage demonstrate me incorrect, I will--as I usually do--apologize and move on.

Remember that?  I give out a lot of apologies here, more than I see anyone else give.  There was one in the happy thread just today, because I was wrong.  So I apologized.  No, I don't defend my position until the weight of the opposition forces me to change.  I defend my position until I can see that I am wrong, because one of the things we students of mathematics are taught to do is, indeed, to attack and rethink our own positions as violently as we attack anyone else's, and to instantly give them up or change them once we have seen their flaws.

And yes, generally we do in fact want to watch people like ourselves.

The question then becomes:  Do you value watching people like yourself over equality for other people?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:33 am »

The question then becomes:  Do you value watching people like yourself over equality for other people?

Nope. But I sure will watch people like myself if I believe doing so does no harm to others.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7