Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTF? Abandioned food items in barracks  (Read 663 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
WTF? Abandioned food items in barracks
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:32 pm »

Why the hell are dwarves dropping food items in my barracks and leaving them to rot (and then refusing to dump it)? This is really weird. There's plenty of space available in stockpiles, so that's not the problem. And its only in the barracks... Could it have something to do with orders for my military to carry food? I told them to carry it, not throw it on the floor.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF? Abandioned food items in barracks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:48 pm »

Yeah, it's a buggy thing, that.

The only way to avoid it that I know of is to order your squads to carry no food.
Which really isn't that bad, since another bug prevents dwarves on active duty (other than training) from eating or drinking their carried supplies anyway.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:30:09 pm »

Step 1) Check to make sure no active miners/woodcutters/hunters are in your army. They have a hidden "civilian uniform" that can conflict with a military uniform.

Step 2) Ensure everybody has backpacks to stash their food in.

Step 3) Ensure everybody has containers to stash their food in.

Step 4) ???

Step 5) Tidy!!!

... if not you have a bug. Sorry.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:40:14 am »

Why the hell are dwarves dropping food items in my barracks and leaving them to rot (and then refusing to dump it)? This is really weird. There's plenty of space available in stockpiles, so that's not the problem. And its only in the barracks... Could it have something to do with orders for my military to carry food? I told them to carry it, not throw it on the floor.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?
I think they throw it on the floor as they sense more awesome food in your fort and decide to carry that instead.  Same thing with how they know there is better gear around to use.

Easiest thing to do as Krelos said is to tell your squads to carry no food.  I've never had my military starve to death because of it.  Flasks and drink seem to work fine.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:49:08 am »

Which really isn't that bad, since another bug prevents dwarves on active duty (other than training) from eating or drinking their carried supplies anyway.

I think this bug may have been fixed.  My military dwarves will eat when stationed outside the fort.  They then drop the plump helmet spawn on the ground.  Idle dwarves rush outside to pick up the seeds, falling foul of whatever menace my dwarves were stationed out there to deal with.

Must set up civilian alert burrows.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:25 am »

Step 1) Check to make sure no active miners/woodcutters/hunters are in your army. They have a hidden "civilian uniform" that can conflict with a military uniform.

In all likelihood, this is the problem - when a soldier decides to switch to the mining/woodcutting/hunting "uniform", any equipped backpack will be dropped on the floor along with any food contained therein, and even when the dwarf acquires another backpack, the food will simply be left to rot (or eventually be stored in a chest or cabinet in the dwarf's room).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.