Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizations n armys  (Read 397 times)

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilizations n armys
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »

Ok im pretty nooby to dwarf fortress, and I have 2 questions.

Im trying to start in an area with as many nearby civilizations as possible. Before I start it says I have several nearby civilizations. As soon as I start, I hit c to check nearby civs and it says the only nearby one is dwarfs. Is this because the dwarfs are the only ones ive encountered so far? Ive done this twice, once with medium history, once with short history. Both with the very many civilizations.

Also, what exactly are army arcs?
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations n armys
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »

Im trying to start in an area with as many nearby civilizations as possible. Before I start it says I have several nearby civilizations. As soon as I start, I hit c to check nearby civs and it says the only nearby one is dwarfs. Is this because the dwarfs are the only ones ive encountered so far? Ive done this twice, once with medium history, once with short history. Both with the very many civilizations.

The spot you are trying to embark probably doesn't have Elves, Humans, or Goblins in a reachable distance. Perhaps you're on an island. Check around your world, you'll find other races in range (assuming you didn't do something weird and they all died in worldgen)

Also, what exactly are army arcs?

A development term. It's basically a time-period that toady will be making big changes to the military aspect of the game.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:54 pm »

The civs screen in game only lists civs you've made contact with. The civs screen on embark shows everyone that can reach your fortress, and their peace status.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:38 pm »

So is it possible for my dwarves to have already made contact with several civilizations when I first start? Because in an earlier game I had goblins listed as a civ in game even though at 80 population and 4 years into the game, not a single goblin had shown up.
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »

Goblins will start showing up once you've exported enough wealth to look like you're worth robbing, I think.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:47 am »

Because in an earlier game I had goblins listed as a civ in game even though at 80 population and 4 years into the game, not a single goblin had shown up.
Maybe you had something spawn invisibly on the opposite side of a river or other barrier and it got bored and left? Seems unlikely that things would keep turning up just where they can't reach you, especially since you should have had sieges, but that's the only thing I can think of.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:52:57 am »

TAB key during embark shows neighbors rather than minerals (beware if it says "no trade" next to the names, it's a spot no caravan can reach), during the game itself, civilizations only appear as the send their first caravans etc

I've had laggardly Goblins occasionally, one factor is probably how quickly you gain wealth.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:55:57 am by Reelyanoob »