Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A glacier volcano  (Read 2080 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
A glacier volcano
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »

I've seen them on a tundra in the middle of a glacier, but not on the actual glacier. This could be a lot of fun. Has anyone else seen this? Also, in the same world, I have volcanoes in 3 adjacent squares, forming one big island.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: A glacier volcano
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »

I've seen them on a tundra in the middle of a glacier, but not on the actual glacier. This could be a lot of fun. Has anyone else seen this? Also, in the same world, I have volcanoes in 3 adjacent squares, forming one big island.
Dig a whole in the side of it, and melt the whole map  :D

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »

Build a above ground fort out of Ice and then melt the whole map.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:17 pm »

;D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:07:46 pm »

Can we have some screenshots? (or perhaps save/gen data?)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:31:43 pm »

;D
But how do you dig a whole?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »

I wan't to upload the genned world. What's the default name of the file? Does world.save look right? You can tell I don't usually do this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:20:17 pm by Lagslayer »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »

;D
But how do you dig a whole?
Dig a hole in the side of the volcano...

Oh, typo.  ::)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »

Its easy to generate. Just up the volcano count a lot in the worldgen parameters. You're almost guaranteed at least a few glacier volcanos.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 01:52:08 pm »

Back in 40d I had a rather long-lived fort that was built upon a glacier, and had a volcano. I don't know if it would appear differently now, but back then it came all the way to the surface of the glacier, and was capped with obsidian.

Ah, yes, I remember that fort well. I carved the entire fortress out of the ice, then dug a chasm around it, with a moat of water, kept liquid by a magma reservoir underneath. I had hoped that this would provide a supply of liquid water for injured or imprisoned dwarves, but in practice, the water froze in the hauler's bucket long before it could be delivered. In this way, a stubbed toe or failure to meet a noble's mandate was essentially a death sentence by dehydration.

Despite this, the fort eventually surpassed any challenge the game could throw at it, so I just let the thing run, occasionally sabotaging it by breaching the magma vent. Really interesting things happen with ice and magma, I wish I still had the save so I could upload pics. Regardless, it was pretty spectacular by the end. For almost 20 years, orc and goblin sieges swept through the fort, killing most of the dwarves, except for a handful of legendary warriors who had never had a single injury, ever.

At the bitter end, when the food stockpiles were finally empty, a handful of survivors, following the same pathfinding, walked from room to room, hunting for vermin (and finding none: glacier fort), huddled together in their last moments by some trick of the program. One would starve, and the others would look at him for a moment before moving, together, to the next hall. The last dwarf, the philosopher, walked outside to the graveyard and looked up through the blizzard at a well-crafted statue. I remember checking his profile - he was "quite content," despite having watched the slow collapse of such a massive and long-lived fort. Then he died.

So, uh, tl;dr: go for it, there's plenty of FUN to be had.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.