Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for Game, Need Suggestions  (Read 1858 times)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for Game, Need Suggestions
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

I'd like something that combines the open sandbox universe, exploring, trading and so forth of Oolite, with the command your crew ability of Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

Pretty much, I don't want something that relies on my twitch skills to play the game...I have a crew for a reason, let me command them and let them do their jobs, a la, piloting, firing, navigating, scanning and so on.  I want to manage it all from my nice comfy chair, I am the captain after all.

Actually, Bridge Commander would be perfect if it didn't have a storyline and was in an open sandbox universe...well, it would need trading added to it, but you get the idea.

Take care,

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Game, Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

*arms flame-shield*
The Battlecruiser series is something like that. Only they're buggy as hell, and fall a bit short of what they really promise. Plus, I heard the developer is an absolute prick. I wouldn't know for sure, though, he got banned from here long before I came.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:43:53 pm »

Wot, has Derek Smart been on these forums? Yes, he is a prick and surrounded by an echo chamber of blind fans. I thought the game was dead and buried though. Are you talking about Battlecruiser 3000? It has a... good idea, but fails to carry it through. Too much micromanagement, not enough AI, horrible UI. I'll be interested in same kind of games too, by the way.

OP, have you tried X-series? Combat is twitchy, but you can mostly avoid it. There is a storyline, but you can avoid it. You can just concentrate on trading and building your own space empire.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:45:37 pm by Majestic7 »

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:17 pm »

I'm going to be checking out X series (which one would you recommend?), as well as, Battlecruiser Millennium, Starshatter and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

There are a number of tactical/RTS style games (Homeworld 2) that sort of fit the bill, but I don't want to micromanage multiple ships.  But from looking round with google, I might be out of luck.

This looks interesting too...http://www.3000ad.com/gco/

Thanks for suggestions guys, if anyone has any more, please post.

Take care,

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »

some one should really make a general thread for "looking for game"/"game request" threads
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:10:14 pm by mcdonaldjord »

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:28 pm »

Shores of Hazeron fits that bill rather perfectly, with the addition of adding a crapload of other stuff.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »

Everything I've seen from SoH you control the ship.  The wiki says stuff about commanding units (though the info is sparse and not really helpful), but I haven't seen anything (maybe I just haven't found it yet) about these units piloting the ship, firing weapons and all that.

Take care,

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »

You control it similarly to the way you use the command console in the X games, but you can take command of any individual station.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »

Hmm... Well, GalGen Trader certainly has trading, though you do control your ship yourself. Twitch might not be the word for it, but ship-to-ship definitely isn't about telling someone else to do it for you.

In the future, though, I'm planning on adding turn-based strategy battles, ala XCOM.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »

Space Rangers 2 :)

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »

Quick update, maybe you guys can help me with a couple issues.

I am running windows 7 with the latest updates and or SPs.  My rig is pretty kick ass, I play Mass Effect 2 on full settings, Crysis 2 pretty near full settings, Shogun 2 maxed out, Test Drive Unlimited 2 maxed and so forth.

I have the Starshatter Demo, it loads up fine, all menus work great, setting video options work and take effect as they should.  But as soon as I start a new game, it pops up the loading pop-up and bam, it sort of CTD, but doesn't actually crash.  I know, weird explanation.  I lose all mouse button functionality, though I can move the pointer fine, though it now has pointer trails.  Esc brings up the in game options menu and I can scroll using the keypad, but none of the options work.  I have to alt+tab to desktop, the end the process.  Oh, I have tried running in XP SP 3 compatibility mode, nothing changed.

Battlecruiser Millennium is now freeware, but I am getting the same results more less as Starshatter.  All options work fine before starting a new game, when I get in game I get some slight random texture tearing lines and have some sort of vocalization (assuming NPC) repeating on top of each other, sort of sounds like maybe 4 or 5 voices saying the same thing, but like they are in an arena or large warehouse.  Again, had to alt+tab and kill the process.  Also tried XP SP 3 compatibility, same results as above.

As far as if either of those might fit the bill, no way to tell with Starshatter, but Battlecruiser Millennium's commander mode/career might be pretty close.

Also, the Nexus demo is more of an RTS where you command from a distance selecting a ship then giving it orders, which is not what I was looking for.  This is sad as the game looks awesome and has the sort of feel I was hoping for.  If there were a mod that put you in a captains chair of one ship and with crew commands, well, that would be sweet.

Take care,

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:12:22 am »

Quick update, maybe you guys can help me with a couple issues.

I am running windows 7 with the latest updates and or SPs.  My rig is pretty kick ass, I play Mass Effect 2 on full settings, Crysis 2 pretty near full settings, Shogun 2 maxed out, Test Drive Unlimited 2 maxed and so forth.

I have the Starshatter Demo, it loads up fine, all menus work great, setting video options work and take effect as they should.  But as soon as I start a new game, it pops up the loading pop-up and bam, it sort of CTD, but doesn't actually crash.  I know, weird explanation.  I lose all mouse button functionality, though I can move the pointer fine, though it now has pointer trails.  Esc brings up the in game options menu and I can scroll using the keypad, but none of the options work.  I have to alt+tab to desktop, the end the process.  Oh, I have tried running in XP SP 3 compatibility mode, nothing changed.

Battlecruiser Millennium is now freeware, but I am getting the same results more less as Starshatter.  All options work fine before starting a new game, when I get in game I get some slight random texture tearing lines and have some sort of vocalization (assuming NPC) repeating on top of each other, sort of sounds like maybe 4 or 5 voices saying the same thing, but like they are in an arena or large warehouse.  Again, had to alt+tab and kill the process.  Also tried XP SP 3 compatibility, same results as above.

As far as if either of those might fit the bill, no way to tell with Starshatter, but Battlecruiser Millennium's commander mode/career might be pretty close.

Also, the Nexus demo is more of an RTS where you command from a distance selecting a ship then giving it orders, which is not what I was looking for.  This is sad as the game looks awesome and has the sort of feel I was hoping for.  If there were a mod that put you in a captains chair of one ship and with crew commands, well, that would be sweet.

Take care,

If you have a 360 controller, or something of the sort, try unplugging it then restarting it. :)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 05:24:44 am »

I'm going to be checking out X series (which one would you recommend?), as well as, Battlecruiser Millennium, Starshatter and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

There are a number of tactical/RTS style games (Homeworld 2) that sort of fit the bill, but I don't want to micromanage multiple ships.  But from looking round with google, I might be out of luck.

Take care,
Homeworld and Homeworld 2 don't really fit the bill at all from your first post, but in my opinion they are the best space RTSs around, so if you haven't already you should give them a try anyways.  The first has a better story, but is showing its age graphically.

As to the X series, I would recommend the latest one (X3: Terran Conflict),if only because I haven't played the rest.  There are tons of mods for it that can modify how trading and automation thereof work, and combat can be avoided (as was previously stated).  Manual trading runs can get boring fast though, and it can take a while to build up to the point where you are setting up factories, especially on your first game.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:07 am »

Take care,
Homeworld and Homeworld 2 don't really fit the bill at all from your first post, but in my opinion they are the best space RTSs around, so if you haven't already you should give them a try anyways.  The first has a better story, but is showing its age graphically.

As to the X series, I would recommend the latest one (X3: Terran Conflict),if only because I haven't played the rest.  There are tons of mods for it that can modify how trading and automation thereof work, and combat can be avoided (as was previously stated).  Manual trading runs can get boring fast though, and it can take a while to build up to the point where you are setting up factories, especially on your first game.
Unless you invest in a small but profitable trading ring and then let it run while you sleep :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:46 am »

you have your own fleet of traders in the latest X3?

I've jumped off the franchise to early, dammnit! :P
Pages: [1] 2