Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Defense mod: how do you do it?  (Read 1657 times)

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Defense mod: how do you do it?
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »

I've been playing Fortress Defense mod lately and I'm curious how you guys deal with triple sieges. Without cheap tricks like drawbridge traps or simply wallinf off the entrance of course!

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Defense mod: how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »

Axes, migrants and coffins.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:56:41 pm »

migrants and coffins.

Here, you said one unnecessary thing there. Let me help you out. Let me add one more:
Repeating Spikes.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »

As you install this mode for the purpose of fun, I assume you don't use trap-lined corridors or danger rooms or any other kind of cheat-like stuff. As I play with this mod too, I found out that:
- Catapults are useful against enemies en masse
- You can have races fight each other, slightly changing ethics in raws (didn't try it though) and goblins still fight any other race, so get your population over 90
- Training military on dark stranglers and white tigermen is not really dangerous, as long as you have metal armor and weapons.
- Marksdwarves on posts behind fortifications are really good until nagas with bows show up
- Forest fires are damn good. Flooding areas with water will be fine too.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

Flood walls. Water on the inside, pumps to push it up over the walls to flush away the enemies.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »

Magma cannon. Enemies come in, iron comes out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:47:46 pm »

No military needed eh?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »

No military needed eh?
Military is having fun shooting from fortification towers and sometimes finishing something that doesnt want to go to front doors :) .

theMij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »

I danger roomed it up.  I also started with access to iron, flux, sand and a volcano with no aquifiers on my first world gen after installing the mod, so that was probably a bit much.  Next time, I'll try things the regular way. A word to the wise, though...  Don't get too cocky after you take out a few sieges and an FB.  Or do and season your candy with a dash of FUN.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »

I like to use many marks-dwarves - with specially prepared firing positions that can be opened and shut with cunningly designed bridges - so that I can rain death, then block return fire.  Then my melee dwarves are waiting behind a field of staggered single wall tiles (to block archery attacks) so they can counter attack the enemy archers when they get close.  I like to make sure that there is only one way in (well - there are others, but they can only be accessed when other cunningly designed bridges are extended - otherwise they are sealed) and that there is no way at all for fliers to get in other than by the designated killing of the bad guy entry.  I try not to use traps or magma or any mass slaughter technique - entirely military and passive defensive systems.

It is a hard mod - and it is a lot of fun - mostly I die.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 05:11:23 am »

I use danger rooms in Fortress Defense and still lose tons of guys. If you play with the Challenge Mod enemies, maxed non-spoiler_mat dwarves are still outmatched by the most powerful enemies without cunning strategy, which for me involves use of corridors and bridges to divide up enemy sieges so my military can engage them in manageable numbers while my marksdwarves fire upon them from safety. Hellfire Imps need shields. Great Fiend Spiders must not be engaged when they are in large numbers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:40:47 am »

lots and lots of ballista hallways

I also have the evil race/civ supplement mod installed so I get trolls and ogres that siege and sit on the outskirts of the map with massive weapons/bows that can make short work of danger roomed dwarves so I put ballista emplacements covering the corners of the fortress so they can perforate the siege camps.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 06:07:36 am »

I had a 20-dwarf steel-clad military (and another 30 handpicked dwarves waiting for equipment) and a long ballista hallway for enemies to walk down. For the first couple of years or so, I only needed my military - they trained up well on stranglers, frogmen and tigermen.

One good thing to do is check EVERY dwarf's attributes as they come in on migrant waves - their strength, agility and toughness. Any with good attributes go into the military. That's how you get superdwarves. Don't use actual military skills to decide who goes into the military - it's perfectly possible for an unquestionably weak, very clumsy dwarf with great military skills to migrate in. I had a couple of dwarves - unbelievably strong and very agile - with about 50 killls each who could probably have taken on a siege by themselves.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:11 am »

I had a 20-dwarf steel-clad military (and another 30 handpicked dwarves waiting for equipment) and a long ballista hallway for enemies to walk down. For the first couple of years or so, I only needed my military - they trained up well on stranglers, frogmen and tigermen.

One good thing to do is check EVERY dwarf's attributes as they come in on migrant waves - their strength, agility and toughness. Any with good attributes go into the military. That's how you get superdwarves. Don't use actual military skills to decide who goes into the military - it's perfectly possible for an unquestionably weak, very clumsy dwarf with great military skills to migrate in. I had a couple of dwarves - unbelievably strong and very agile - with about 50 killls each who could probably have taken on a siege by themselves.

This is definitely true. Most of my surviving champions are incredibly muscular. The last time I tried to send random migrants with military skills into battle, they were slaughtered to the last man - but they're still good as trainers, at least.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:50 pm »

As you install this mode for the purpose of fun, I assume you don't use trap-lined corridors or danger rooms or any other kind of cheat-like stuff. As I play with this mod too, I found out that:

One of the reasons that I'm not interested in fortress defense mod is because the majority of the later sieges are all filled with trap-immune critters.  So trap-lined corridors are right out.

(Not counting upright spears/spikes hooked to a repeater.  Those still work.)
Pages: [1] 2