Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your Worst Video Game Luck  (Read 7584 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Worst Video Game Luck
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

My Skink just ran out of MA in the clear, two squares from the end zone!  Well, he's got Sure Feet, and good AG, so he might as well Go For It.

Roll: 1...
Reroll: 1...
Armor check: Failed...
Injury check: Casualty...
Casualty check: Dead.

Yeah, ran too fast, fell down, broke his neck.
Err... What game, so I know what to never ever play?

Blood Bowl.  It's a game that revels in bad luck and utter brutality.  Just for the record, that had a probability of...  1/6 * 1/6 * 5/12 * 3/36 * 1/6, I think.  Or 5/31104 (0.00016%).  Kind of like meeting a gnome with a Wand of Death by the staircase in Nethack, life just plain sucks sometimes.  You still gotta laugh, though, because while it's very deep and strategic, it's just plain not a game you take very seriously (unless you do).

To put it into perspective, the probability is very similar to rolling three consecutive 1s on a d20, which will also get you terrible results and a tableful of facepalming in most gaming circles.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »

Is that the sports/war game on steam?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »

Is that the sports/war game on steam?
Yeah, the one that there's a league getting started for in another topic here.  It's $10 right now.  If you like turn-based games and don't mind weird rules, it's fun.  Basically completely faithful to the board game, so it uses a lot of interesting conventions that you don't normally see in video games.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »

F%^^&%$& Intel...

I'm getting that as soon as I've saved up for a new graphics card.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:49 pm »

I was playing bad company 2 and every game I entered was full of aimbots.
Honestly I spawned and they killed me through concrete walls and hills from across the map and on closer inspection were facing the wrong way too.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »

That's not bad luck, fren.  That's cheating...  dirty bloody cheating.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 12:53:08 am »

Back when I played Wurm Online (right after the first release of it) I was trying to make a longsword for my friend. I had built my skill up quite a bit, and I had a really good chance of making them (95% IIRC). So I gathered a bunch of high quality metal and started work. Failed a bunch. Got more metal. Failed more. More metal. Failed more.

All total, I failed over 40 times, wasted many hours of my day, and never made the sword. I reported it as a bug, since the odds of doing that if it really was only a 5% chance of failure were astronomical, but they told me it was working fine and I just had a run of bad luck. Lets see, .05 to the power of 40... 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000009% chance? To this day I still believe it was a bug in the RNG that they wouldn't admit to.

The really funny part? Another guy I knew who only had a small chance (like 10% or something) of making them churned out a dozen or so in a row with no failures the next day and gave me some of them to improve their quality with my higher skill.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:55:24 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:27 pm »

The remains of the Republic are occupied and annexed by the rebel legions with barely a fight after that.

Game over.
It's been a while since I played that game, but doesn't losing the civil war just change your ruler (and possibly government type)?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »

Yes, it does, but I felt that, after such a spectacular implosion of my realm, I really needed to just give up, restart, and figure out what I had done wrong, and how to manage things better. That run was really a learning experience, and I gained much understanding of game mechanics from it.
!!&!!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

this day I still believe it was a bug in the RNG that they wouldn't admit to.
I'm sorry Paul, but that that is a rather stupid conclusion. Just because it has a low chance doesn't mean it's impossible.
Hello Hunam

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 11:54:03 pm »

this day I still believe it was a bug in the RNG that they wouldn't admit to.
I'm sorry Paul, but that that is a rather stupid conclusion. Just because it has a low chance doesn't mean it's impossible.

Assuming what Paul said to be true, that's a (0.05)40 = 9.1x10-53 chance, or a one in (1.1x1052) chance. To put it in perspective, there are 'only' ~9x1049 atoms in the Earth. That is, the chance of failing that many times is the same as the chance of me picking a random atom somewhere in the Earth, you then randomly guessing exactly which atom that was, and then flipping a coin seven times and getting all heads.

Now, I'm not saying it's not possible - heck, for a system to be truly random, it must be capable of giving any valid response - but it seems very highly unlikely.  :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 08:11:47 pm »

If he had that kind of luck, he could walk on water. ("Hey look, my electrons are lining up to perfectly match the ones in the water, despite being repelled by them! Obviously my other electrons are lining up to lock them in place!")

The last time I played Wurm, it used a truly terrible system for making metal items, whereby you spent hours gathering ore and fuel for your forge, hours turning that ore into metal (not to mention the forge had to be fueled and then heated up, which also takes hours but could happen while you were mining or whatever, as long as you didn't forget to refuel it), and then 10+ minutes using that metal to produce nothing because you failed all the skill checks to make the easiest chainmail or whatever that you could make, and only gained a tiny tiny amount of skill as a result of an entire day of work in Wurm. It would be no easier tomorrow.

(Meanwhile, you have to eat, which means someone has to have been producing food or keeping farms going, and cooking stuff. Also, a bear and/or spider will spawn in your mine, inside your fence, and murder you. Repeatedly.)

In conclusion: Wurm is clownshoes.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:25:09 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]