Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your Worst Video Game Luck  (Read 7593 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Your Worst Video Game Luck
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 11:40:13 am »

Nuffle bathes in your rage.

I swear, Bloodbowl is the epitome of Murphy's Law in gaming. It is the Event Horizon where all things, the epic and the suck, become possible.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:42:28 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »

Somewhat similar is Jagged Alliance 2, slightly less than a couple weeks ago.  He was dual-wielding, but even then, my IMP guy had ambidextrous and maxed-in-chargen marksmanship, and it was still pretty rare for him to hit anything.  Fox, who only had... 73 marksmanship, I think - 12 less than the IMP guy - was hitting near everything I told her to shoot.  And Bull, the real soldier of the group, was a pretty terrible shot as well.

What is the character's dexterity?  Dexterity has a strong impact upon success and failure of gunfire.  Agility may also play a part, but dexterity is one of the key areas that both affects accuracy and is easy to ignore.  Level also plays a part, in which Fox usually starts with a boost.

The size of the firearm *may* also effect whether your character can use the ambidextrous skill effectively.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »

Back when I was a wee lad in early middle school on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy VII when it was the shiniest of shiny new games for the original playstation console, I had FINALLY gotten to Sephiroth after an intense week-long session of gaming. My friend and I were sitting on my couch with our eyes glued to the screen when I killed him. The final FMV started. We leaned forward, waiting to see what would happen...

My dog then proceeded to run full-tilt into the room, tripping over my controller cord and pulling the entire system off of the stand in the process. The playstation landed on the floor and flew open, ejecting the disc completely. Not only that, but it landed directly on the memory card in the first slot, irreparably snapping part of it off. Not only did we not get to see the ending of the game, but my save (along with a bunch of others) was corrupted, and I had to replay over half of the game because the last save I had on another memory card was waaaaay the fuck back in the plot at about the point that you first meet Cid.

The dog spent the next week hiding from me.
That's a whole lot worse than mine. The only problem I've had is that the save somehow corrupts when saving in the Icicle area shortly after the start of the second disk(glad I kept a backup right before Aeri(s/th) dies). However, my copy isn't the only copy of the game I've seen do that, so I think it's an issue of the game.

On the other hand, with Legend of Dragoon, the second disk is deteriorated just to the point where at it completely locks up right after the fight with Regoyle and Lenus, meaning that it gets stuck at the cutscene at the end of the second disk, halfway through the game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:23 pm »

Playing good old DotA for Warcraft 3, I join up on a -AREM game.

The match starts, and as soon as the first wave of creeps spawn, I realize my entire team is AFK. I then get the "Kick AFK Player?" message five times in a row a few minutes later, and proceed to have to kick my entire team from the game. Needless to say, I lost 1v5.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 03:55:49 am »

Oh... yeah, I think I dumpstatted Dexterity.  He was also using MP5Ks, which I assume are pretty unwieldy held one-handed.  When I got him the rifle from the guy on the roof of the Drassen SAM site, though, he did much better.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 04:08:28 am »

Back when I was a wee lad in early middle school on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy VII when it was the shiniest of shiny new games for the original playstation console, I had FINALLY gotten to Sephiroth after an intense week-long session of gaming. My friend and I were sitting on my couch with our eyes glued to the screen when I killed him. The final FMV started. We leaned forward, waiting to see what would happen...

My dog then proceeded to run full-tilt into the room, tripping over my controller cord and pulling the entire system off of the stand in the process. The playstation landed on the floor and flew open, ejecting the disc completely. Not only that, but it landed directly on the memory card in the first slot, irreparably snapping part of it off. Not only did we not get to see the ending of the game, but my save (along with a bunch of others) was corrupted, and I had to replay over half of the game because the last save I had on another memory card was waaaaay the fuck back in the plot at about the point that you first meet Cid.

The dog spent the next week hiding from me.

Yeah, you win this thread.

Now we know why wireless controllers were invented.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:26 am »

Europa Universalis: Rome

This title is one of the odd dogs in the series. It is far more character driven than even, say, Crusader Kings, but actually getting a good sense of what's going on at any given time amongst the dozens of important people in the court of your country is like herding cats. So, not at all inaccurate at least.

This string of bad lucks comes from a mechanic that says, basically, regiments of soldiers that are frequently lead to victory under a general will become loyal to that general over time. This means, that it doesn't always pay to have the best general in charge. Why? Well, I'll get to that as part of the string of bad luck.

I started up the grand campaign, the Fledgling Roman Republic is set to conquer the Greek city states that sit on the bottom tip of the peninsula, Magna Graecia, and from there, at least a portion of Sicily. It also sits at war with Epirus, and Pyrrhus the Great sits across the Adriatic Sea, his extremely high martial talent making me a tad nervous, despite the paltry size of his army. In this game, Martial Skill counts something like twice as much as it does in, say, Crusader Kings, for comparison, if you've played it.

I have an army of over twenty thousand, and appoint the best military minded character I can find in the court of Rome as general. It consists of a few archers, a few light infantry, and mostly heavy infantry. No Calvary, as horses are unfortunately a bit tough to come by in the peninsula. The nearest source however, is near Epirus, and I make it my plan to conquer that country, and move on to conquer the other petty states that dot the Balkan Peninsula all the way to Thrace.

There are a few problems with this. A complex web of alliances and guarantees amongst the despots of the peninsula meant declaring war on one was tantamount to declaring total war on the whole peninsula. This isn't really too bad, though, as the army I can muster, and the general I put in charge of it, is certainly enough to scrape by, and in the mean time, I can begin organizing a second one, as I have the manpower and money to spare, and will only have more after conquering a few of those states, and with a few cavalry divisions this time.

Thus, after subjugating Epirus and throwing Pyrrhus the Great in prison, I declare war on the Illyrians, and consequently, the rest of the peninsula, with confidence. The armies that move upon my general's army are fairly small and are all routed and destroyed one by one. If they had operated on a cohesive scale there might have been trouble, but since they presented themselves in easily digested chunks, things went smoothly and I was able to begin occupying territories while they rebuilt their armies. This goes on for a while, in cycles, and I fail to notice that every single unit in this army is now loyal to the general, whose victories are beginning to give him a bit of a delusion of grandeur.

At the conclusion of this great war, the whole of the Adriatic Coast, and most of the Greek States have fallen under my thumb, annexed. The Roman territory over the course of this conflict possibly doubled in size. Then I notice something. As my second army is in the process of being built, a huge horde of Barbarians appears on the fringes north of Italy on course straight for the heart of Rome. I mobilize the small second army and begin moving it to intercept, and order my experienced army under the great general to get on board the boats that took him to Greece and return to Rome and drive off the barbarian horde.

His Reaction? He proclaims himself Consul.

The whole of the territory that he conquered, all of Greece and Magna Graecia flips over to Roman Rebels, and that general, with all his elite veterans, and his own great military skill that has only grown, do indeed get on those boats to sail for Rome. The fledgling second army is routed twice by Barbarians, and retreat deeper into my territory, only to be intercepted by the rebel legions. Barbarians sack the city of Rome, then the Rebel General moves in and destroyed them all, before taking the city for himself. The remains of the Republic are occupied and annexed by the rebel legions with barely a fight after that.

Game over.
!!&!!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »

Well I guess he was totally justified in proclaiming himself Consul then :)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

The whole of the territory that he conquered, all of Greece and Magna Graecia flips over to Roman Rebels, and that general, with all his elite veterans, and his own great military skill that has only grown, do indeed get on those boats to sail for Rome. The fledgling second army is routed twice by Barbarians, and retreat deeper into my territory, only to be intercepted by the rebel legions. Barbarians sack the city of Rome, then the Rebel General moves in and destroyed them all, before taking the city for himself. The remains of the Republic are occupied and annexed by the rebel legions with barely a fight after that.

Game over.

Quote from: Roman General
The nickel dropped when I was on my way beyond the Rubicon. What did I do?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 04:01:00 pm »

Chrysalid at the bottom of the ramp down from the skyranger

Two rookies in front
two autoshots on each

Not one hit

Cue face full of Alien Wing Wong the next turn
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 04:37:45 pm »

Well I guess he was totally justified in proclaiming himself Consul then :)
Wait a minute, didn't that actually happen in ancient Rome?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »

Little Brother Deleted Save File x10
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »

Little Brother Deleted Save File x10
You have ten little brothers? Hiding all of the bodies must have been difficult.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »

My Skink just ran out of MA in the clear, two squares from the end zone!  Well, he's got Sure Feet, and good AG, so he might as well Go For It.

Roll: 1...
Reroll: 1...
Armor check: Failed...
Injury check: Casualty...
Casualty check: Dead.

Yeah, ran too fast, fell down, broke his neck.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »

My Skink just ran out of MA in the clear, two squares from the end zone!  Well, he's got Sure Feet, and good AG, so he might as well Go For It.

Roll: 1...
Reroll: 1...
Armor check: Failed...
Injury check: Casualty...
Casualty check: Dead.

Yeah, ran too fast, fell down, broke his neck.
Err... What game, so I know what to never ever play?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4