Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your Worst Video Game Luck  (Read 7597 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Your Worst Video Game Luck
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin- What's your worst luck in a video game been?

Ex. Finding a shiny pidgey; with no pokeballs on hand.

My most recent bad luck has been in Dragon Warrior Monsters (I found an legit emulator for it, and was in the mood for nostalgia.) and I got a two room level. (For those not in the know, it means a bard will be spawned on the next floor, which means if you win you get +20 to a random stat.) The problem? It was in a dungeon before other masters are allowed to be spawned. FUUUUU-
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Your Worst Video Game Luck
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:19 pm »

I started a game of Nethack on top of a scroll.  I picked it up and read it.  It was a scroll of earthquake, and a rock fell on my head and I died.  Two turn death.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

Ja2, The enemy entered the sector I was attacking at the time. Entered right next to my squad.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth.
My hero mage had 70% chance to hit enemies with fireball.
He missed 63 times in a row.

I should play at lotteries, and pick ALL the numbers that will NOT be picked.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:54:17 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:18 pm »

Ah, Nethack. Strolling through the dungeon, killing monsters, finding gold - TRAPDOOR - SOLDIER ANTS - Do you want your possessions identified?
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:43 pm »

My most recent bad luck has been in Dragon Warrior Monsters (I found an legit emulator for it, and was in the mood for nostalgia.) and I got a two room level. (For those not in the know, it means a bard will be spawned on the next floor, which means if you win you get +20 to a random stat.) The problem? It was in a dungeon before other masters are allowed to be spawned. FUUUUU-

Hahaha.  Sucks for you.  I actually got a Goldslime bred once on that thing.  Took forever.  Also made a dracolord(The hooded one) from the ??? family.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »

I was setting up a challenge in ArmA 2, to put some mines and pipe bombs around a road, to destroy a convoy. One tank, one artillery truck and an AA-rocket tank thing.
Only the tank has the fire-power to shoot a lone infantry. I setup the trap, figuring if I take out the tank the other two can be taken out with any power I deem fit, that in mind, I try to save time and set up one mine, with several pipe bombs, enough to take out the trucks once the tank rolls over the mine. So I wait.
Tank rolls over the mine, and "bang!", at which point I count to three and set off the pipe bombs. I look around the corner, and the tank shoots me.
With the death cam, I see: The tank took no damage from the mine or bombs... And the other two vehicles had decided to take a different route.
Needless to say I was not happy that with that challenge. :P
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »

Medieval 2, Total War.

Playing as England, I'm attacked by France then threatened by the pope (who I elected!) to cut that shit out or I'd get excommunicated. I do as he says, meanwhile France builds up a huge army and almost steamrolls one of my castles. Striking back after the mandatory 7 turns the pope told me to wait, I proceed to take every single settlement the Frenchies have with my king, now a uber-general at the age of only 29. The final castle I take from them has a single pair of ballistae, and in the beginning five minutes of the attack gets a lucky shot on my general and kills him instantly. I still take the castle though, and make plans to bring a new general to the front to attack Milan, who's giving me funny looks.
    The faction heir, now newly appointed king I send from Paris to Metz (The castle I just took) to support the troops and make sure they don't turncoat. I send him with a few hundred knights, figuring that a two turn journey can't be that dangerous. As soon as I send him on his way, he's ambushed by a full stack of rebel armored swordsmen. Holy Shit.  :o He dies as I try to withdraw him from the battle, using the other knights as bait, again from a lucky shot by some peasant archers.

Finally, deciding that I have had enough of this bullshit, I gather up a huge-ass two stack army, with my 16 year old newly fledged king, and send them on their way from London to deal with those rebel fucks. As soon as the army touches down in northern France, boom, earthquake. It kills half my dudes, turning a 7,000 strong army into about 3,500. For those of you who are not aware of the frequency of earthquakes in France, here's a picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
     Now I don't even have enough men to take the first Milan city. Figuring I can still retrain them, I send the army back to a nearby castle. It's a two turn trip. Praying and crossing my fingers, I click the 'end turn' button. Boom, king assassinated, remaining army turncoats, and Spain, France, and Scotland all invade at the same time. Cue throwing monitor through window.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

Hahaha.  Sucks for you.  I actually got a Goldslime bred once on that thing.  Took forever.  Also made a dracolord(The hooded one) from the ??? family.
Now use that gold slime (Which actually isn't that hard to get, if you have a empty box, a inventory full of sirloins, a kickass team, and access to the bottom floor of the slime dungeon.) to get DarkDrium. I tried that once, and then freaked out when I found my Wataboo and DeathMore3 were the same gender.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

More than once have I encountered full stacks of King Metal Slimes in Dragon Quest VIII. My namesake is the countless hours spent finding ones that wouldn't all flee on the first turn.

A great deal of other miscellaneous misfortune comes from my teammates screwing up in multiplayer games. The only one that comes to mind is the stupid shenanigans of my Nazi Zombie crew, who have left me the last man standing more than once because of monetary greed/wasting amunition/suicidal tactics/general stupidity/forgetting to guard the GOD DAMN WINDOW I TOLD YOU TO GUARD YOU STUPID FOOLS WHY ARE WE EVEN FRIENDS GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Uh...sorry. Flashback.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:26:10 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:01:24 pm »

Doom: Roguelike, being denied to use the BFG in time, or realizing I was too stingy again. That, or killing off arachnitrons, only to be killed by a lost soul out of nowhere.

I also did a longplay of Sonic & Knuckles & Sonic 3 (from Angel Island Zone to Doomsday Zone, Sonic and Tails run, no 2nd player to play as Tails), only to short 1 million points by 50k-150k. I had all emeralds and such, and maybe going Hyper all the time afterward didn't help my score too well either. Just as bad, I was at the final parts of Lava Reef by then, and I knew the remaining levels were going to be moot with the collecting (then again, I hyper'd all the time in order to finish levels quickly for the high score from time (50k potential). I was so annoyed when I realized that. I think it was actually shorting by 50k (enough to earn from perfecting a Special Stage; if only I deliberately failed at least one post-perfect (I crossed at least 5-8 more giant rings en route, including Death Egg Zone), I could've 1M'd it >:( ).

In Zillion (Sega Master System), I don't know if I have the recording of it still in my Livestream channel or not, but I just about checked every corner, and am headlong towards the endgame (final zone maze left), I do my usual "abandon the elevator and drop down the shaft to the bottom" routine... only to find out I fell down the wrong shaft and into a dead end. Rage-firing into the walls also revealed a life-up powerup (which looks like bread stuck in the wall). Talk about insult added to injury.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:52:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »

A cyberdisc missed my soldiers, hit a gas station pump and made the entire thing go up in smoke. My entire squad died.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

Back when I was a wee lad in early middle school on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy VII when it was the shiniest of shiny new games for the original playstation console, I had FINALLY gotten to Sephiroth after an intense week-long session of gaming. My friend and I were sitting on my couch with our eyes glued to the screen when I killed him. The final FMV started. We leaned forward, waiting to see what would happen...

My dog then proceeded to run full-tilt into the room, tripping over my controller cord and pulling the entire system off of the stand in the process. The playstation landed on the floor and flew open, ejecting the disc completely. Not only that, but it landed directly on the memory card in the first slot, irreparably snapping part of it off. Not only did we not get to see the ending of the game, but my save (along with a bunch of others) was corrupted, and I had to replay over half of the game because the last save I had on another memory card was waaaaay the fuck back in the plot at about the point that you first meet Cid.

The dog spent the next week hiding from me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:49 pm »

Back when I was a wee lad in early middle school on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy VII when it was the shiniest of shiny new games for the original playstation console, I had FINALLY gotten to Sephiroth after an intense week-long session of gaming. My friend and I were sitting on my couch with our eyes glued to the screen when I killed him. The final FMV started. We leaned forward, waiting to see what would happen...

My dog then proceeded to run full-tilt into the room, tripping over my controller cord and pulling the entire system off of the stand in the process. The playstation landed on the floor and flew open, ejecting the disc completely. Not only that, but it landed directly on the memory card in the first slot, irreparably snapping part of it off. Not only did we not get to see the ending of the game, but my save (along with a bunch of others) was corrupted, and I had to replay over half of the game because the last save I had on another memory card was waaaaay the fuck back in the plot at about the point that you first meet Cid.

The dog spent the next week hiding from me.

Yeah, you win this thread.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:44:32 pm »

Turtling up during a C&C3 mission and then eventually uncovering the Fog'o'War to discover the CPU had apparently ignored all building and unit limits for the past two hours.

Aggro'ing an entire faction's army of warparties in Mount & Blade. They would not stop chasing me.

Travelling for three days across the world in a wagon carrying all my possessions in Haven & Hearth, finding a minehole, and then getting my character stuck in the palisade wall when I exited it.

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4