Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Recycling Center  (Read 1852 times)

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Recycling Center
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:38 pm »

Since cage traps are the most abundant form of defense for my fortress, I always end up with a large surplus of goblins equipped with precious metal. What I usually do is strip them of all their metal belongings by dumping then reclaiming them through stocks menu and then assign each prisoner to a pit which contains magma. But this process is quite cumbersome, especially when dumping all that equipment then reclaiming it. So I've come up with an idea of a magma chamber to dump the prisoners into, then drain the magma through grates once all but molten metal is left. Would this work? Is molten copper usable? Can you think of a more efficient way of reclaiming all their weapons and armor to be smelted? I thought about using glass serrated disk traps but I don't feel like keeping all that dumb rubbish clothes, but I could use the goblin bones.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Recycling Center
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:38 pm »

iron will nоt melt and copper is useless anyway.
you may also dump gobs into a 100z shaft down to your magma steel mill so that your haulers will have less work bringing their stuff to smelters

Abyss, Holder of Light

• Bay Watcher
  • [DARK_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:58 pm »

AFAIK, molten objects are unusable.

Also, can't you just trade/atomsmash the clothing?
Clearly now all we need added are dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you. Thus we can release them along with the dogs & bees themselves when unwelcome guests come to your fortress.

And then lock the door.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:45:43 pm »

Why not just unforbid their metal stuff with the stocks menu, then mark it all for melting without having to deal with their clothing at all?
As for the molten copper question, you can melt it for bars once it has solidified into an otherwise unusable glob of copper.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »

I believe magma will leave bones and iron goods intact. Is it important to keep the copper?

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »

Why not just unforbid their metal stuff with the stocks menu, then mark it all for melting without having to deal with their clothing at all?

Thats what I usually do, its just time consuming.

Also, I use copper to train smiths.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »

I believe magma will leave bones and iron goods intact. Is it important to keep the copper?
nope, bones dissolve into smoke in magma. however, goblin bones are 1x so no much use in them except that they are goblin bones

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

nope, bones dissolve into smoke in magma. however, goblin bones are 1x so no much use in them except that they are goblin bones
+Bone bolt+ [50]

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »

iron will nоt melt and copper is useless anyway.
you may also dump gobs into a 100z shaft down to your magma steel mill so that your haulers will have less work bringing their stuff to smelters

Don't diss copper. D:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:21:16 pm »

Also you can't use goblin bones without modding the ethics of the dwarven entity.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »

Thats what I usually do, its just time consuming.

Here's what I do: claim and then mass-dump all items on the battlefield, then mass designate all items as Melt. This overrides the Dump order on all metal items while leaving the crap you want thrown into your magmapits designated for dumping. Easiest way I to get rid of battleclutter that I have found.
You should ofcourse be careful not to dump/melt high quality equipment dropped by your own casualties.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 07:46:43 pm »

You could either make a really high tower and push the gobbos off.  What I do is make a trap corridor entrance to my fortress, then a room above that trap corridor where I store captured gobbos and have my dwarves kick them into the pit when it gets full.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »

Also you can't use goblin bones without modding the ethics of the dwarven entity.
Unless you use hacked-off bits from when they were alive, last I checked.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:20:26 pm »

That reminds me... what would I need to edit my dwarf raws to so they will use the goblin/elf bones I manage to aquire so I can turn them into bone bolts to get more goblin/elf bones?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

Something to do with ethics and sentient creatures. And butchering.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.
Pages: [1] 2