Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: those damn traders. -.-  (Read 3021 times)

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
those damn traders. -.-
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:32:26 pm »

Why are they so grumpy? xD Every time i trade with them, i give them a profit of around 200, and they still don`t want to trade. why?

also, i have read that nobles comes only if you export enough wealth. can anyone please explain the nobles for me? :)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: those damn traders. -.-
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:33:50 pm »

Why are they so grumpy? xD Every time i trade with them, i give them a profit of around 200, and they still don`t want to trade. why?

also, i have read that nobles comes only if you export enough wealth. can anyone please explain the nobles for me? :)
The elves are picky (look at my avatar), the humans are greedy, and the dwarves are stupid.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »

The elves are picky (look at my avatar), the humans are greedy, and the dwarves are stupid.

In this case, it was the Dwarves. :P

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »

In this case, it was the Dwarves. :P
I think you get the idea  ;D

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »

It could also be the skill of your broker.  If not skilled enough they tend to think their goods are worth more than they really are.  And/or that the trader's goods are worth less.

And if your broker isn't good with the social skills, the merchant gets angry quite quickly at your attempt to make a profit instead of the trader doing so.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »

To elaborate a bit on what Necro said, dorf traders are usually pretty easy going, though you should probably let them off with at least a hundred dorfbux in profit, up until your broker gets some epic skills. Humans are greedy bastards, and will often make counter offers that give them hundreds/thousands more dorfbux in profit. And they'll get pissed if they do so too many times. Elves aren't very greedy, but they'll have an aneurysm if you offer them anything related to wood. Even though all they sell is wood. Fuggin hypocrites.

Also, nobles are currently semi-bugged. You won't ever get nobles via migration, but they can be appointed. Nobles like the broker and bookkeeper must be appointed manually, and can be replaced at any time, mayors get elected every now and then (though you can still switch them around), and baron and above are appointed one single time, when you've reached a certain amount of wealth and dorfs. Really, you only appoint the baron, who then gets promoted when possible. If you lose a baron/count/duke/monarch, you probably won't get another one.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it's not an issue of the amount the trader is making in profit, but rather the percentage of the transaction's value that they profit.

I've always had success by giving them at least a 50% profit on a couple small transactions until they hit "ecstatic with the trading", and then buying everything else that I need en masse and at a small margin while the merchant is in a good mood. If they're just "willing to trade", it seems like they will generally reject anything that gives them under 50% profit unless your broker is really good.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »

They determine an acceptable profit margin based on a percentage of the goods they are giving up. 200 profit on a 100 trade would go over very well, but a 200 profit on a 2000 trade, less likely. The social skills of your broker and the mood of the traders also makes a big impact. You can see the trader's mood if your broker has some skill in "Judge of Intent". A better profit margin makes the traders happier, but I don't know if there are other factors involved.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:14 pm »

Wait..
You guys want to keep the +stone flute+s yourself? i always give the merchants as much as possible.
Except (Sylvan) Elves ofc. They just die.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:03 pm »

Eh, i just keep the stuff around for the next batch of traders. I've coached the dorfs to bring huge loads of alcohol, so it's worth having a bit of junk to sell. That being said though, i mostly go with absurdly valuable plump helmet roasts. Worth more than their weight in pure fuckin' gold!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »

Eh, i just keep the stuff around for the next batch of traders. I've coached the dorfs to bring huge loads of alcohol, so it's worth having a bit of junk to sell. That being said though, i mostly go with absurdly valuable plump helmet roasts. Worth more than their weight in pure fuckin' gold!
So let me get this straight... a plate of +burnt mushrooms+ is worth more than a Gold bar?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 02:23:28 pm »

So let me get this straight... a plate of +burnt mushrooms+ is worth more than a Gold bar?

legendary lavish meals are among the most profitable goods in the game, often more than 10,000 dorfbuck$.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 02:25:36 pm »

Indeed. Even with something as simple as plump helmets, a masterpiece lavish meal is usually worth 2000-8000 dorfbux, sometimes more. Gold bars are something like 200, if i'm not completely wrong.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 02:29:47 pm »

Indeed. Even with something as simple as plump helmets, a masterpiece lavish meal is usually worth 2000-8000 dorfbux, sometimes more. Gold bars are something like 200, if i'm not completely wrong.

So four plump helmets are worth forty gold bars. Huh.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:40:45 pm »

Forge a golden barrel, stud it with gems and menacing spikes of bone and shell, then pack it full of masterpiece (minced dwarf wine, minced dwarf wine, minced dwarf wine, minced plump helmet) roasts. Watch the trader's jaw drop in astonishment at the wealth of your fortress as you buy everything in their pathetic caravan!

Next year, they'll bring more stuff, but by then, your quarry bush leaf and cheese industry will be in full swing. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3