Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77664 times)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #675 on: May 14, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

Dorna walked out of the room, moving over to the miners and rolling out a map of the Magma she had found.  "Alright, this is gonna be a bit risky at the start, but that's only because it's Magma.  Let's try not to screw this up TOO badly, m'kay?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Right now we're just going to make a small, temporary forge area while we make all the parts we need.  On the level shown I want you to mine out a canal here.  Don't break through the magma until the channel and all other mining is finished, however.  Don't need more accidents." She pointed at the blue walls. "This is the rough idea of the facility, which will be located one level above.  It will hold one magma smelter, one magma metalworks, and one magma glassworks, with space to add a kiln if we have any dwarves that need to add one.  It's simple, it's cramped, but it'll work for now."

She pointed at the ends of the magma canal.  "And before we finish I'm going to need a pair of magma-proof floodgates at the ends here and here that we can hook up to my control room with magma-proof mechanisms.  If any masons can get on the floodgates, Greymist and I will work on getting the mechanisms made.  I don't want to breach the magma until those floodgates are made and installed!  Are we clear here?"  The miners nodded, but they had a semi-vacant expression.  Dorna sighed and waved them off.  "Get to it then!"

OOC: Sorry about the delay, was bbusy all day yesterday with birthday stuff so this kinda escaped my mind.  Nontheless, we have the basic small temp facility here.  I'll see what I can do about the power facility once it's completed.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:19 am »

Also fortifications infront of the floodgates.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:37 am »

Also fortifications infront of the floodgates.
Good point.  That too.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 14, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »

Are you doing the turn now then? When it's out, I think we should finally have a traitor vote. Well. I dunno, we've still got no real idea or anything... I'm not too sure if this whole idea works, I mean there's no way to easily guess or anything.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »

Are you doing the turn now then? When it's out, I think we should finally have a traitor vote. Well. I dunno, we've still got no real idea or anything... I'm not too sure if this whole idea works, I mean there's no way to easily guess or anything.

Nope, but suspicion is all that was required in the first place. I wanted it to be a witch hunt.

I think I'm doing a poor job in my posts ::) but it's difficult to show who actually IS being a traitor when, thus far, they've been clever about hiding their handiwork. I'm always insecure about what I write, though. I think I'll ramp up the suspicious tones in the posts for the rest of the seasons until the fort finally gets blown to bits. My goal with the fort was to make something that would be self-destructing in six or seven different independent ways and see if the rest of the players could patch up the leaky holes before the whole thing sank. Thus far it's been much less eventful than I thought.

I'll start the turn now that Dorna has her orders up. Then we'll hope for some disaster next season to make things entertaining and have a witch hunt.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 14, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »

A witch hunt? Hahaha! Burn every innocent person for a crime which never happened! Dwarves FTW! XD

Anyway... maybe if we ever do it again, introducing some kind of point system or something... where in order for traitors to not seem suspicious they have to do loads of normal work. Maybe 1 small action per year or something, assuming they contribute to the fort or...? I dunno. Oh well... we'll see how the guys fk up the fort. It's a DF first, at least?

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 14, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

You're actually a very entertaining writer. The players just don't have a good incentive to take risks, like dwarves would. What motivates dwarves to take risks? Wealth and power. Since wealth and power aren't typically shared equally, the pursuit of these two things would create natural conflict between participants. The problem is how to implement it into a forum game.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2011, 05:36:44 pm »

You're actually a very entertaining writer. The players just don't have a good incentive to take risks, like dwarves would. What motivates dwarves to take risks? Wealth and power. Since wealth and power aren't typically shared equally, the pursuit of these two things would create natural conflict between participants. The problem is how to implement it into a forum game.

Yeah, there's no real "reward" here for anyone. I figured people were most entertained by Fun and thus the format would bring on the hilarity but I think it's actually caused people to be very conservative for fear of their dorf being killed off either by being a traitor or by dying in one of their schemes.

If DF was actually able to keep track of personal dwarf wealth (if the economy wasn't broken) then it would be a game of making your guild wealthy while trying to keep your pot safe. THAT would be a great game. I should have encouraged more involvement with that from the start: you're here to make your guild proud by building something amazing or producing something great related to your job, and the traitors are trying to destroy that. So the traitors would go to further and further lengths to mess with various projects while the players go to even further lengths to protect them.

Maybe next game I run should be in the vein of "Assassin," run similar to this one, but instead of the traitors just trying to screw the fort over they're each trying to covertly end the life and/or plans of ONE other dwarf. That would probably work much better!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 14, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »

Yeah, there's no real "reward" here for anyone. I figured people were most entertained by Fun and thus the format would bring on the hilarity but I think it's actually caused people to be very conservative for fear of their dorf being killed off either by being a traitor or by dying in one of their schemes.

If DF was actually able to keep track of personal dwarf wealth (if the economy wasn't broken) then it would be a game of making your guild wealthy while trying to keep your pot safe. THAT would be a great game. I should have encouraged more involvement with that from the start: you're here to make your guild proud by building something amazing or producing something great related to your job, and the traitors are trying to destroy that. So the traitors would go to further and further lengths to mess with various projects while the players go to even further lengths to protect them.

Maybe next game I run should be in the vein of "Assassin," run similar to this one, but instead of the traitors just trying to screw the fort over they're each trying to covertly end the life and/or plans of ONE other dwarf. That would probably work much better!
I've been viewing this as being like a game of Paranoia, but with Dwarves instead of Friend Computer.

Happiness is mandatory!  If you do not have sufficient happiness, you shall enter the magma pit Happy Fun Room.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 14, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »

The only real incentive for the traitors here is either assassination, or other attempts to just wreck the fort to its end. Being that this is a forum game, and this is a bit of a cloak and dagger deal, it turns into a game of paranoia. Just trying to figure out who is up to what is hard. Even then, there have been no real clues to point to who a traitor might be after a scheme. Other plans can be put into action so fast, it gives little time to react (Bed smasher anyone?)

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:51 am »

at least they didn't get ALL the beds. even though i may be a dwarf of simple taste, i do prefer sleeping in a bed rather than the dirt.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 15, 2011, 05:17:03 am »

in the case of the bed smasher, I doubt it could be done quietly, unless it was only one time. Even then, someone should have seen the beds being moved.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 15, 2011, 06:31:47 am »

in the case of the bed smasher, I doubt it could be done quietly, unless it was only one time. Even then, someone should have seen the beds being moved.
Except it was the Urists who were doing the moving.  Someone would have had to see the person telling the Urists what to do, and since nobody did, nobody knows who gave the orders.  Hence why I was looking at something else: Specifically, just how QUICKLY it was used for the purposes of sabotage.  It's a loose link to the people who constructed/planned it, but it's the only possible link there is.  Hence the accusation.

Besides, it's not just that people are being careful or not doing much, so much as there's also so many willing stooges who blindly follow orders and conveniently can't remember who gave them the orders.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:42 am »

I must admit, despite the waste of wood I did find it quite amusing how the incident happened in the same post-report-thing of the SMASHER actually being constructed... "Build me a smasher! Now smash everything! Now... er... me? No... how could you suspect me!?" No offence to whoever made it anyway. I dunno who you are. I'm still voting Dorna... I think? I dunno, that Captain of the Guard was preeetty mean to me...

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 15, 2011, 08:31:05 am »

I must admit, despite the waste of wood I did find it quite amusing how the incident happened in the same post-report-thing of the SMASHER actually being constructed... "Build me a smasher! Now smash everything! Now... er... me? No... how could you suspect me!?" No offence to whoever made it anyway. I dunno who you are. I'm still voting Dorna... I think? I dunno, that Captain of the Guard was preeetty mean to me...
Agreed.  And it was made by Greymist at the request of Lezka (The latter of whom was who I was accusing, for the reasons mentioned).  Hence why I accused.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48