Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77690 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #645 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »

Blah blah blah same orders blah blah blah. Nothing interesting happens to me, but that's a good thing around these parts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:33 am »

i will volunteer my squad to defend the bridgehead. i would like as many recruits as my skill levels allow, preferably with some military skills to start.

a forward military base must be built at the bridge crossing as per this plan:

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWW
WBBABBW
W>++++W
WA++++D
WR++++W
WR++++W
WWWWWWW

Legend:
W = Wall
B = Bed
A = Armor Satnd
R = Weapon Rack
D = Door
+ = floor
> = down staircase

on the z level below will be a small (6 squares max) food only stockpile and a second small drink only stockpile. these piles will take from the main food/drink piles and a 1 wide underground corridor is to be dug (if possible) to the fortress, so that the Urists can haul food/ drink to the base in safety. the base will also need a roof, access to the roof will be via ramp on the outside of the wall (ramp to be removed once construction is complete).

i will personally oversee construction of this base and will defend the surrounding area with my life. door is to be locked only when all hope is lost for defending the post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:26:30 am by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:40 am »

Blah blah blah same orders blah blah blah. Nothing interesting happens to me, but that's a good thing around these parts.

Unfortunately some dwarves get less focus, but your carpentry zone IS now a useful depot for subterranean logs! In general you've been making beds and stuff: a carpenter's work is never finished until there's 1000 in every food stock.

NO WORK ON PROJECT? RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I'm going to set up a construction burrow with 3 dedicated workers on it to make sure it progresses well. If you have the time could you whip up a crude MS Paint diagram of how you want it constructed so I don't make any mistakes?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:11 am »

How major are these injuries? We need doctors... I mean, that kid had a broken leg, but I'M BRUISED!  :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:13 am »

As you probably guessed, carry on training. Anyone can join in if they want.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:41 am »

As another batch of soap was stamped, Besmar headed for a drink. And promptly fell over a lump of rock. She cursed as she scraped the dust off herself. Boulders everywhere. The place had never been properly cleared, and no URISTS had emerged to do anything about it. "This is ridiculous," she declared, as no fortress could possibly be clean and tidy with heaps of stone and gravel everywhere.

Moving into the dining room, she spotted a large group of dwarves surrounding a heavily beaten and battered dwarf - the blacksmith, possibly, but she didn't like to get too familiar so she didn't know for sure. "URISTS!" Besmar demanded. "Aren't you haulers meant to be working? Do you have any idea how much junk there is around this place? How are we meant to keep the dust off the surfaces when they're buried under twenty tons of stone?"

The dwarves looked at her blankly. Eventually one of them volunteered "Erm.. making blocks, out of them..."

"This won't do! Clearly our masonry dwarves are overwhelmed with the amount of work they have. How about piling it all into one place out of the way?"

"Oh... um... never thought of that..."

OOC: If I read the screenshot aright there's an awful lot of stray rock left lying around. Most unsightly. Therefore, since we don't seem to have proper stockpiles I suggest dumping them into a corner near the masons' workshops so they're both accessible and out of the way.The Urists can do that of course, Besmar has more important things to do in the form of more soap :P A clean fortress is an organised fortress...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

OOC: If I read the screenshot aright there's an awful lot of stray rock left lying around. Most unsightly. Therefore, since we don't seem to have proper stockpiles I suggest dumping them into a corner near the masons' workshops so they're both accessible and out of the way.The Urists can do that of course, Besmar has more important things to do in the form of more soap :P A clean fortress is an organised fortress...
Yes, because if there's one thing we need it's dumping tasks for every single stone swallowing up our labor.  Genius.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:31 pm »

It doesn't take all that long, if it's only the major living areas that are being cleared. If necessary Besmar cand do it all herself, but IMO that is what a couple of Urists are for...

Also, and perhaps of rather more major concern, was that a GCS in one of the cavern screenshots?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That could have gone better. Next time you assign a new captain of the guard, make sure the jails are built. At least EmperorJohn seems to be ok-ish. Just to be on the safe side, could you post a screenshot of his wounds ?

Now then. It seems that someone has forgot to build a jail space before assigning me to the position of Guard Captain. And since the contracts say "If there is no more jail space, the guards are FORCED to apply corporal beatings. Hope EmperorJohn forgives me for slapping him around in front of all those spectators. And for...biting him in the heat of the moment. But enough ramblings. We need to assign some patrol routes. Patience, you'll be stationed in the mayor's mechanical center. She might object to this, but that place is to traitors what a bin full of artifacts is to kobolds. Puffchest, you should patrol around the palisade, just to make sure no joker tries to remove logs from it. Bubbles, you should keep EmperorJohn 'company', just to make sure no one will be tempted to kill him after the "incident". Also, keep an eye on the forges, noting anyone that is removing substantial amounts of metal bars. As I understand it, there are enough militia members both deep underground in the caverns and on the surface to discourage any attempts of sabotage, as soon as we recruit more trustworthy guards we will be able to supervise them better. Who will work on the Gatekeep while you are patrolling ? Well, since "Bring your child to work season" was such a big-ish hit, we'll extend it indefinitely.

Minni, Winni, if you two want to cut the trees due south, and want to build an acces bridge for that purpose, please build it OUTSIDE the pallisade until proper walls would be erected to protect that side. 

I'll keep an eye on the gate from here, as soon as I carve some furniture.

Orders: Construct 1 wooden chest, 1 wooden weapon rack, 1 wooden armor stand, 1 wooden cabinet.
Build up/down staircases on the second floor above the old ones, then start flooring it too. Do it with green glass blocks if some people want that wood so badly.
Over the Gatekeep dormitory build a bedroom with an armor stand and a chest and designate as my new bedroom.
Over the Gatekeep gym, build a table with a chair, weapon rack, cabinet and designate as a study / dining room.
pacience, Puffchest and Bubbles will patrol their designated routes, Minni and Winni can have their bridge.

I'll need a couple of screenshots of the Gatekeep, on different floors, the basement especially. If it has been carved, build 4 ropes down there, each with a quality bed, chair, table adjacent to them.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2011, 07:48:09 pm »

Also, and perhaps of rather more major concern, was that a GCS in one of the cavern screenshots?

Yeah. I want it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »

As Unibot and Oldtimer made their way to their new position they decided to stop by Doc Valrandir's office.

"Excuse me Doctor Valrandir, i have heard about your dislike of all things dirty, and i may have the solution to your problems"

"Eh Uni, i dunnah think he can hear ya"

"Very well Oldtimer, I'll just leave these plans on his desk for his approval"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:35 am »

Gordy bit the bullet and made the crazy fool his damn glass.

"Get, er, get out of here, you cheap hack!" accused Gordy the glassmaker, trying to shoo away the frantic Urist. The crazed dwarf verily snatched the raw glass chunk out of his hand. Clutching the wounded fist the glassmaker wandered away, muttering.

(orders this month - do whatever it takes to get the offending dorfs out of Gordys workshops, or build another. continue to build collect and build raw glass for blocks, corkscrews and pipes.)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 12, 2011, 09:50:46 am »

How far down is the magma?  Is it the sea? 

It's the sea at 59 Z-levels down from the surface.

That could have gone better. Next time you assign a new captain of the guard, make sure the jails are built.

Nobody told me to build any jails  :P and I forgot that beatings happened immediately without them. EmperorJon has made a full recovery on his own from the beating. Bayar's got some really low physical stats. It was more of a "slapping about" than a beating.

As you probably guessed, carry on training. Anyone can join in if they want.

I'm still reorganizing burrows and labours so that things happen much more smoothly but the whole military is getting ready for a giant goblin-and-mandrill beatdown party.

Can I see my skills?

You'll improve when you take part in the aforementioned goblin beatdown party. You should be a better fighter than you are since you've been training for seasons and seasons. I don't know what's up.

*ahem*

I DECLARE THAT FROM NOW ON EVERY PROJECT/SET OF ORDERS WILL HAVE ITS OWN BURROW AND WILL HAVE A MINIMUM OF ONE URIST DEDICATED TO WORKING ON IT IN THE ABSENCE OF APPRENTICES.

Thus far I assumed that just letting a ton of URISTs run around with a ton of labours activated would do the job. I should of known that it'd be too much chaos and not enough "things getting done" so I hope that all delays in projects from this season forth will be fixed with that good ol' DF standby for success: incessant micromanagement.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:15 am »

Well I'm pleased I can get back to work. Maybe it's better than imprisonment. Please let me oversee the construction of the smelting areas down by the magma sea. If you can produce some pictures I shall design the area for you.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:50 am »

Dorna rubbed her chin.  "60 levels down... hmm... I'm thinking we should build a small pump stack to bring it closer to the surface, perhaps just under the cavern layer.  For now though we'll need a temporary forge area so that we can make the materials for the pumps easily.  And I'm going to need to start work on the Power Facility...  Greymist, Urist, I need one of you to find out the power consumption levels for a thirty-to-forty-level pump stack!  And have one of the miners get me a map of the Magma, if we can get one.  I want to figure out where we'll have room for the temporary forges.  Now I need to get working on the plans for the Power Facility... hmm, maybe I can make use of a looping water wheel pump system using those lakes..."

OOC: Get me a map of the area where we found the magma, I want to see where I can make room for the temp facility and the pump stack.  Also, how far below the surface are the caverns?
Mmm, I can tell already the hard part will be getting the power through the aquifer... hopefully we'll be able to find a place to punch through on that hill.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48