Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77726 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #585 on: May 03, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »

4 bars of steel?

I would say use them to make shields. Steel is superb for making armor, and a fighters first line of defense is the shield. If we don't have access to bronze however, I am not against turning them into spears.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »

4 bars of steel?

I would say use them to make shields. Steel is superb for making armor, and a fighters first line of defense is the shield. If we don't have access to bronze however, I am not against turning them into spears.

i'm more inclined to use the iron/steel for armoring purposes, until you hit a sizable vein or two that is. for some reason i'm getting a feeling that you'll have to trade for military grade metal for a while.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 04, 2011, 07:23:53 am »

No shields no shields! The only dfference between one shield material or another is can it catch on fire if a dragon comes!  If you use for military purposes, I suggest weapons.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 04, 2011, 07:41:13 am »

I suggest mail shirts for coverage.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 04, 2011, 07:41:46 am »

4 bars of steel?

Use them for weapons. Material doesn't matter for shield as long as it's metal, and we need weapons that can penetrate goblin armour.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:06 am »

So far I've only found a couple of veins of tetrahedrite. I think iron ores are located in igneous rock and we embarked in a mild circle of aquifer hell so any iron to be found will be close to the magma sea. Mining down to magma seems like a good goal to set for this year.

Aaronius' carpentry workshop has already been carved out so we might as well use it! I think setting the wood stocks to accept only underground trees would work well. We could make barrels out of the nether caps and have consistently frosty brew at all times!

Not everyone has chimed in on the thread yet so I'll give it a little time.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:53 am »

Iron ores are most common in sedimentary layers. Hematite can also be found in igneous extrusive layers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 04, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »

I'm most curious how this will turn out. Keep it up, everyone!

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 04, 2011, 03:51:19 pm »

"Now that the wood issue has been fixed, we need to focus on getting this keep built. We'll need to adjust it a bit though. In the dormitory we should build a 2X2 upward staircase in the middle, cover up the rest of the floor with wood. The gym should get an 8X8 basement digged out, also with an 2X2 upward staircase while the ground level will have an up/downward staircase. Finally, on the upper level, consult the attached schematics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, that should REALLY put us back on schedule. Oh, and Bubbles ? Start pumping. I've seen the way you were dragging logs across the ground and that might be enough for a normal keep. Not Gatekeep ! Pump along for about 2 months then resume the logwork.

CotG speech and concerning traitors

"Unibot has a preety clear idea of what being a Captain of the Guard means. Have guards patrol key areas, look around for law-breakers, throw them in jail and generally respect the "Hammer is law" ideology. Too bad that that's the basics of what a Captain of the Guard should know about his job. Let's cut to the chase and say why YOU should vote me as Guard Captain.

Everybody knows dwarven law can be a bit absurd at times, case in point EmperorJohn's sentencing to 76 days in prison. Now, is this fair ? Well, mostly...he IS responsible for the metalworking in this fortress. BUT, it was not his fault that we didn't have any gold. I'd honestly let him go if that was not in itself a crime worthy of a hammering. So, my policy ? First, wait a bit until building the jail cells, maybe our "benevolent" mayor would exempt him of the crime he is accused of commiting. Secondly, construct the jail cells as "humandwarfely" possible: a bed for every cell, soft cave spider silk restraints, food and booze regularly delivered to each cell AND a chair and table. It's the least we can do for the wrongly accused. Make them feel like they are taking a vacation from their normal daily routine. For now ? EmperorJohn can go about his business, I heard he was regretting his sentencing just as goblins brought gifts in desperate need of reforging into useful items. And if the mayor goes batshit insane and orders me to beat the crimminals ? I'll do it, since strenght is not my forte and slaps on the back are not particularly painful, right ?  ;)

As for real criminals, well, let's just say that they won't go unpunished. I'll let you guys decide on the exact punishments, although my suggestion would be: "Don't kill them. Make them regret ever betraying us. Make them toil away in a dark, dank pit filled with refuse of all kinds, endlessly working on pumps that will further our own needs." But I suspect that won't be a really popular idea since it is not acutally exciting.

And another thing. Unlike some other figure that has risen to power recently, I won't demand anything from my fellow dwarves. You won't have to worry about building chests or armor stands or levers or any of that nonesense simply to satisfy me. In fact, I'll make sure of it, I'll just craft my own stuff, out of wood. As a sign of humility towards my fellow dwarves and one of passive defiance towards the treehuggers. You just worry about your duties as normal and, uh... finding some gold I guess.

Now on to the matter of the traitor among us. My vote would have been for nobody until concrete evidence is found if not for this little piece of trivia: that idea won't work. We NEED to point out suspicious individuals from our own perspective and hear their defense in hopes that someone will slip out something incriminating. By not pointing fingers we won't be able to gather any information that might uncover the betrayer(s). Personally ? I don't know who might have done these things. I suspect some dwarves, but not ready to actually scream out "THE BETRAYER ! FLAY HIM ! FLAY HIM !!". Now I know this might sound strange, but I'd like to hear Doctor Valrandir's arguments as to why he is not the traitor. I know, I KNOW, his workshop has been vandalized, but apart from that, there is no other reason why he might not be one of them. First of all, he is in a position of power as overseer. He is responsible with work orders, he is responsible with keeping the stocks updated and he is responsible with trading with traveling merchants. And he mostly uses the "crafting blocks, go away you are unclean" excuse when he is neglecting some of his duties. Now a dwarf in his position can easily place some work orders like: disassemble every bed in the fortress, stockpile them in this location then begin to pull this particular level. I'm not saying he did it, but that he was in a perfect position to do it. I hope the good doc won't take this the wrong way, but we really need to focus on this "betrayer among us" issue.

OOC: well, that was longer than intended, but whatever.
Orders: Supervise the construction of Gatekeep. Patience and Puffchest continue building it. Bubbles will pump out for the first 2 months then join the first two in building the keep.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »

Dorna cleared her throat.  "With all due respect, I apologize for sentencing Jon, however my hands are tied.  With the position of mayor came a notice from the seldom-spoken-of Noble's Guild, which includes a list of requirements of how certain nobles are to perform, including making requests of materials and objects chosen from a wheel.  I am not making this up.  Failure to anyone to produce them requires the dwarf to sentence another dwarf to prison.  There's also some other rules in there I'm supposed to follow, like requesting fancy rooms and such.  And I can't NOT do this because... well suffice to say the bones of the last noble to refuse those orders were never found.  He was buried with honors."
"Wait, if they never found the body, how did they bury him?"
"Oh they found the body, more or less intact.  They just never found the bones."
"Oh.  OH.  OH MY GOD."
"Exactly."

OOC: STILL waiting on that Cavern map, Plisskin.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:18:00 pm by Chessrook44 »

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:02 pm »

Uhhhhhh i didnt request for captain of the guard, I wanted her to be (rightfully) voted in as militia commander, which is her standing official position right now...
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »

Don't actually lock down the soapmaking workshop (though a door on it would be handy), Besmar would be too concerned if anyone "forgets" to keep the food supplies running :P

Besmar can carry on with her paranoia, keeping as little contact with the other dwarves as possible. Trust no one...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

XD That was hilarious Chessrook.

"Oh, they found the body more or less inteact. They just didn't find the bones."
"Oh.  OH. OH MY GOD!"

XD

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »

"Oh, they found the body more or less inteact. They just didn't find the bones."
"Oh.  OH. OH MY GOD!"

XD
Thanks!  OOCly I figured this could also be used as a reasonable way to excuse nobles from being suspected of traitors JUST because they're doing noble stuff.  No matter WHAT fort you're in, the Noble's Guild has its eye on everyone.  EVERYONE.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 04, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »

"Oh.  OH. OH MY GOD!"

XD
Thanks!  OOCly I figured this could also be used as a reasonable way to excuse nobles from being suspected of traitors JUST because they're doing noble stuff.  No matter WHAT fort you're in, the Noble's Guild has its eye on everyone.  EVERYONE.
i thought nobles were still broken.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48