Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77768 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #510 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:55 am »

Holy... I go away for the week on holiday and come back to find we've breached the caverns and... NO BEDS!? :O Grrr... I vote bed and Breakfast on them too. >:D Whoever it is. We're gonna have to take a vote on it soon.

Anyway, caverns means open explored area, means minerals, means LET'S GET SOME IRON LADDY! I'll need to make armor and such if we're going to want our brave defenders survive. (Which we do, I'm guessing?)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:11 am »

Holy... I go away for the week on holiday and come back to find we've breached the caverns and... NO BEDS!? :O Grrr... I vote bed and Breakfast on them too. >:D Whoever it is. We're gonna have to take a vote on it soon.

Anyway, caverns means open explored area, means minerals, means LET'S GET SOME IRON LADDY! I'll need to make armor and such if we're going to want our brave defenders survive. (Which we do, I'm guessing?)

Yeah, we need to find some stuff that's not copper.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 01, 2011, 08:57:00 am »

Yeah, we need to find some stuff that's not copper.

I'm starting the turn now. I sincerely HOPE there's some iron down there.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 01, 2011, 09:14:22 am »

What are the relative locations of the soapmaking workshop and the food/booze stockpiles?

Not very close, unfortunately. Aquifer issues. It's several flights of stairs and two hallways away. Your workspace has three stocks that take from other piles: one takes tallow from the main food stocks and doubles as a lye stock, another takes nuffin' but ash, and the third is just dedicated soap. There's an ashery, a wood furnace and a soapmaking shop down there and your bedroom has been dug out behind the soapmaking shop and will be established post haste.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:34:04 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:20 am »

Can i get a shot of some of the more compatent marksdwarf/hamerdwarf URIST?

RAG-TAG RECRUIT POOL - WINTER 1004U

INCLUDES ALL URISTS WITH MILITARY EXPERIENCE:
SKILL POSTINGS AND RESULTS OF CURSORY PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

MILITIA LEADERS TAKE NOTE

ASOB SOLDIERSHOOT - DORFED AS UNIBOT

A former grunt from the other side of the mountain range who always wanted to be a doctor. Constant goblin assault on his home fort led him to take up the hammer in defence, and it became his primary profession until the offending dark fortress was obliterated in a raid. He turned his skills towards healing the sick. His physical reports show he is quite out of shape but his skills remain sharp. Suddenly, new back story!

IDEN FLAGMODEST:

A former noble child from the First Fort. Her father trained her in battle axe combat theory and wrestling for sport. She never experienced real combat except for light sparring but demonstrated an innate talent for combat. Her physical turned up poor and her skills have suffered for a lack of use since arriving.

ILRAL LIONTOME:

A simple farmer from a backwater fort. Spent his spare time with a hand-me-down crossbow taking pot-shots at wandering goats. He understands through self-teaching the basics of ranged combat and use of light armour. His physical exam showed that he is a tad overweight and has never received proper physical endurance training.

INETH METALFERNS - HIRED BY SPERA

A life-long hunter with prior military experience in both live combat and archery training. She has little close-combat experience but is a dead-eye shot with a crossbow. Her personality involves chewing rusty nails and spitting out clean steel bolt heads. Constant trekking through the wilderness has made her a brick wall of a woman but a wounded lung from an old conflict has left her a bit out of breath.

KUBUK ARMORTANGLES - HIRED BY IPUNCHFACES

A young soldier, originally conscripted to hunt crundles, who is still fairly green. He's been trained in crossbow use and has gotten used to operating in light armour, but his skills have suffered from a lack of training. He catches colds often but has kept up his physical training in his off-time.

KULET QUAKETOME:

A machinist who went through basic combat training before migrating. She is untrained in any manner of weaponry or close combat skills but knows the basics of operating in armour and has a natural talent for combat in general. Her immune system is terrible and her resperatory health has suffered for it but she's good at shrugging off the pain of wounds.

LORBAM MINEDTAXED - HIRED BY REV

Another conscript from Kulet's fort who went through basic without specializing in any weapon or combat skills. He and Kulet trained in the same unit and are similarly talented. Lorbam is slightly anaemic and clumsy but is physically durable.

MEDTOB FOLDWORK:

A multi-talented dwarf, Medtob did carpentry training in tandem with being a recruit at his former fort. He received three months of hammerdwarf training before migrating. He has complained that his skills have gone unused since migrating, and as such his physical condition has deteriorated.

MISTEM DRUMMEDSYRUPS:

An admitted former bandit, Mistem appears to be seeking some way to reform his ways by joining the fort. During his time as an outlaw he learned some basic combat skills in spear fighting. His skills have slipped a bit since migrating. Mistem has natural agility but has an overall poor immune system and tends to bleed a lot.

ONUL CLASHEDLASH:

A bit of a drunk. Everything Onul knows about fighting he learned in taverns and drinking halls: ducking, weaving, wearing something heavier than clothes on a bad night. He knows the basics of wrestling and punching but couldn't be called skilled in either. His habit of drinking copious amounts, what could be considered a lot for a dwarf even, has left him a bit fat and weak. Too bad pub fighting is no replacement for real combat training.

RAL GENIUSORB - HIRED BY CRAZYTEDDLES

Yet another conscript from preparations involved in the last gobbo war. Ral knows the basics of swordplay but is falling behind in his training. He's kept his muscular build but has a glass jaw and doesn't heal up too well.

REG GLAZEDBALLS - HIRED BY CRAZYTEDDLES

Although still green by military standards, Reg has good ground to stand on for improvement. Her ability with a crossbow is still novice along with her basic combat skills, but she's both tough and quick. She lacks any experience in close-combat.

THOB FAITHWINDS:

A strange case. Thob was the only survivor of a goblin raid on his home fort. Orphaned, he survived on his own for some time and learned much about basic combat in fighting off wild animals. He even learned how to mimic their vicious bites. He is untrained in any form of formal combat, however, and requires discipline to become a true soldier. It shows in his physicals: he's reckless and clumsy. His years spent on his own ended up with him suffering from multiple cases of pneumonia which had long-term effects on his physical health.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:26:01 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 01, 2011, 10:58:42 am »

I'll take Ral and Reg - again both swordsdwarfs.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 01, 2011, 11:55:39 am »

Rev's book was a lost cause. He tossed the pages across the dining room floor. As the gentle tunnel drafts blew them through the fortress, Rev couldn't help but feel he betrayed his grandfather's dream.

Then he remembered that his grandfather was dead.

Freedom at last!

Rev's stomach rumbled. He was hungry.

REV'S ORDERS ARE TO BUILD THIS WORKSHOP AREA!

The speech bubble diagonal to the front door is a slab I want constructed there. Place a note on top of the slab to pretend that it is a sign. The slab will read:

THE RALLOGEM COOKING COMPANY
NO NON-EMPLOYEE URISTS ALLOWED PAST THE SECOND DOOR

I would also like to hire two urists, since Rev is a talented cook. Requesting to view candidates with cooking skill, and a separate candidate pool of urists with good observation.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:18 pm »

Lezka will weave dyed threads and make craft with the resulting cloth. As soon as she's out of her trance, she will craft uniforms for each apprentice, as follows : for women, a midnight blue robe and a red cloak. For men, a midnight blue coat and a red cloak. All of these should be decorated with sewn images. Assign them to dwarves via the military screen.

kzel, do you have any advice on how to make sure that I use the right dye for the right item? Should I just make robes and decorate them until I get ones of the correct colour and décor, or is there a way to specifically request items in detail?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 01, 2011, 12:14:13 pm »

I would also like to hire two urists, since Rev is a talented cook. Requesting to view candidates with cooking skill, and a separate candidate pool of urists with good observation.

Asob, on the military requestion sheet, is a Proficient Observer. There are two Competent Observers as well with no skills that apply to farming.

There is ONE sole URIST with cooking skill and she is a novice. Dub her with a nickname or I'll call her "Marthras McStewart."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:18:32 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »

There are two Competent observers as well with no skills that apply to farming.
There is ONE sole URIST with cooking skill and she is a novice. Dub her with a nickname or I'll call her "Marthras McStewart."

Asob is way too valuable to the military for me to take for such a low-profile role. I'll claim one of the competent observers and Marthras McStewart. I like that nickname. Have her make fine meals and render fat all season, but make sure she doesn't cook any booze or seeds. The observer, who I'll nickname Sherlock, will serve as my company security guard, watching for any suspicious activity in and around the company property until further notice. Rev is busy with the construction of his workshop, but he can just help with farming this season. Requesting to see Marthus's and Sherlock's skills/personalities.

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »

Ill take Ineth as Spera's apprentace, and Kubuk when her skills allow her to.
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2011, 12:43:26 pm »

There are two Competent observers as well with no skills that apply to farming.

Asob is way too valuable to the military for me to take for such a low-profile role. I'll claim one of the competent observers and Marthras McStewart. I like that nickname. Have her make fine meals and render fat all season, but make sure she doesn't cook any booze or seeds. The observer, who I'll nickname Sherlock, will serve as my company security guard, watching for any suspicious activity in and around the company property until further notice. Rev is busy with the construction of his workshop, but he can just help with farming this season. Requesting to see Marthus's and Sherlock's skills/personalities.

Turns out the other two competent observers are also on the recruit list. You could hire one as your personal bodyguard? There's also a couple of novice observers available too.

Turns out "Marthras McStewart" wouldn't fit. So it's Mitha McStewart! She just so happens to have created an artefact at one point and is an amazing metalsmith. In her off-time she may enjoy making statues.

Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »

Turns out the other two competent observers are also on the recruit list. You could hire one as your personal bodyguard? There's also a couple of novice observers available too.

I'll hire one as my bodyguard. That was my intention anyway.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:53 pm »

kzel, do you have any advice on how to make sure that I use the right dye for the right item? Should I just make robes and decorate them until I get ones of the correct colour and décor, or is there a way to specifically request items in detail?

There are multiple ways. The easiest is to have a workshop behind forbidden doors, and dump the right materials from above while the dwarf is locked in. However, the SMASHER already uses a dump zone so that may not be a possible course of action.

Another way is to forbid all cloth in the fort through the stocks screen, then unforbid the desired material manually from the loom or cloth stockpile.

There's no way that I know of to easily find one kind of dyed cloth among the others, so you will have to (V)iew them manually. I'm sorry to put so much work onto you, hopefully it won't take too long as it's only for ten items. If decorations are of a different dye, it's not a problem. Just make sure that workshop orders are set to use dyed cloth only.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 01, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »

There are multiple ways. The easiest is to have a workshop behind forbidden doors, and dump the right materials from above while the dwarf is locked in. However, the SMASHER already uses a dump zone so that may not be a possible course of action.

Another way is to forbid all cloth in the fort through the stocks screen, then unforbid the desired material manually from the loom or cloth stockpile.

There's no way that I know of to easily find one kind of dyed cloth among the others, so you will have to (V)iew them manually. I'm sorry to put so much work onto you, hopefully it won't take too long as it's only for ten items. If decorations are of a different dye, it's not a problem. Just make sure that workshop orders are set to use dyed cloth only.

The micro is no problem, I just wanted to find out how you would go about it. I want to carry out everyone's orders in as much detail as humanly possible. I think that making a large quantity of robes and cloaks from dyed cloth only will end up with what you're asking for since you want to make lots of trade goods as well. As long as they all get decorations, too. It may take a little while to produce them but it's unlikely you'll have your workshops assaulted now that you have a dedicated watchdwarf. Anything that happens to the burrow you've designated during the turn that's out of the ordinary will be relayed to you.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48