Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77910 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #330 on: April 17, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »

I am going to see if I cant find an apprentice out of the urists to help me a little in smoothing the walls out, not that the long task of doing it myself is a huge bother. If there is no spare men, no matter. No engravings yet.

For the poor drowned ghost, I want to at least engrave a proper slab for her. I nag the mason for a single slab.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »

Current update on Babalos's skills/the number of stone blocks?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »

Great update - you're a very good writer.

As CrazyTeddles hauled stone towards his tower under the hot midday sun, he cast furtive glances towards the other soldiers. Training already! It was imperative that the tower should be finished as soon as possible, so that he too could begin advancing his swordwork. Otherwise the others would be better than him and he wouldn't get any goblins at all. Unacceptable! He redoubled his efforts, and dreamed of a time when goblins would come.

Orders - keep building the tower, obviously, and when it's done set it as CrazyTeddle's barracks where he'll train all by his lonesome. Though if we get some cagetraps up maybe he'll have some goblins to keep him company?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 17, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

Alrighty, guess it's time to find another sparring partner. I'll let you choose this time. XD

2 months training, in a barracks away from any lake cliffs. And 1 month fishing/idling.

I'll also start thinking about bedroom items, and see if Aqua can't get a statue of some sort of water beastie in his room. (non-reptile)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

Assign me to help with the carpentry. RP post tomorrow.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »

"Another dead dwarf?"  Dorna cried out when she heard the news.  "Unbelievable!  I'm starting to wonder how many of these dwarves are fully in posession of their senses."  She shook her head.  "I'm going to have to lock the doors of the control room at this rate, or some dwarf will get their beard caught in the gears or something."

OOC: orders remain the same, but once the control room is completed I'll start my work in it.

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2011, 04:26:57 pm »

Spera walks back to the fort while rubbing the peacock blood off of her crossbow, while grumbling about how few bolts were left. She would at least need her own workshop to make more to boot with all of the URIST using the standing ones, and that would take awhile to build! At that she begins scanning as she walks, hoping to see somthing that she can club to death with her crossbow, because she would need to get better at it if amunition shortages were going to happen again.

OOC: have her club critters to death for 2 months before going off to build her workshop. and may i request a view of her stats?
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:06 pm »

Epic Update plisskin

Valrandir actually documented our inventory for fucking three months?? LoL
How's his block making missions going, is he any more than a dabbling mason yet?

I see that more rooms have been planned for mining, excellent.

For the next Season, Doctor Valrandir will focus on making stone block.
His mission is to make blocks until we are out of rough stone, which will take a while with all the mining going on.

Valrandir also has more plans for further blueprints, but our miners have plenty of work assigned to them for the time being.

Make blocks, Repeat.
Disable all other labors.
Keep the stockpiles updated, manage orders and broker.

So shall it be for the next season.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:14 am »

Alas poor Vabok! He will be remembered...

Plisskin, sure, I'll go with another soapmaker when one turns up. Let's call this one Besmar McHolmes :P Once we have the metal supplies available (actual military dwarves getting priority, of course), can he be equipped in a basic set of copper armour (via putting him in a squad that never trains or is active)? Just because I envision him to be extremely paranoid after the fate of his kinsman.

To be precise, by set of armour, I mean helm, mail shirt, leggings and boots. Gauntlets would interfere with his work!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2011, 06:13:35 am »

Dorna walked in to Valrandir's office, looking at the massive piles of stone blocks, and seeing him working on another in his workshop.  "Valrandir, I wanted to talk about... ok, WHAT are you doing?"

"Making blocks," Valrandir said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"OK I can see that," Dorna said. "But WHY?  Don't you think we have enough?" She gestured at the storage room that was literally filled floor to ceiling with stone blocks.

Valrandir shook his head.  "Nope.  Could always use more stone blocks."

"For WHAT?  Building things?  Regular rock works wonders for that, and it doesn't take extra time to do."

"It's smoother!"

"So you're saying dwarves can't smooth rock when they make their constructions?  Or take advantage of the natural inconsistencies in natural rock to make a more interesting and unique construction?"

"What?  No I..."

"Then tell me, please... WHAT is the benefit of so many stone blocks?  I have to hear this."

((Serious inquiry, Val.))

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:05 am »

It's OCD...

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

IpunchFaces stood over the mangled corpse of his first kill in this fortress, breathing heavily. Warm blood dripped from the tips of his fingers, slowly pooling beside his feet.

His mind was still abuzz with the adrenalin going though his system, the excitement of the peahen's desperate attempt to struggle from his calloused hands, the thrill of having it's thin neck between his fingers, the satisfaction of his knuckles slamming hard against live, bleeding meat. Again. And again.

And again.

Until the poor fowl's skull came crashing down into itself, sending shards and splinters of bone directly into it's brain. Only then, was he satisfied.

IpunchFaces stooped down, picking up the limp body, wanting to examine his handiwork. Not bad, he thought to himself. He looked toward the fortress, at the base of the hill. The butchers might want this. With a smile, he turned his head back at his prize.

His uncle's bleeding head stared back at him, blood seeping from his sockets. His mouth opened and closed, wordlessly.

Gasping, IpunchFaces dropped the body, fear clawing at his heart. He turned away, about to run. He came back!, he thought in a panic. Came back to get revenge, to drag his brother's son down with him, but i'll show him,i'll showthat iamnotadwarftobetrifledwithnosiriwontgodownwithoutaFIGHT. With a shaky yell, he curled his fear-stricken hands into rough approximations of fists, turned back to his Uncle, and swung wildly.

A wind-driven leaf smacked him across the face. And nothing else came.

He stood battle-poised in silence, as the winter winds howled it's song down through the hills. After a minute, a smile crept up on his face. Then, with a suddeness, he laughed. A near-shrieking laugh that joined the wind in a chilling duet, with only the trees, the stars and the peahen's body as his audience.

Wiping tears away from his face, he struggled down the slopy hillsides of the fortress, leaving the peahen's body to be claimed back by the earth it was made from. And all the events that happened here, with it. But he knows that he'll have to speak to the good doctor about this. Someday.

OOC: Give him an extra month off right after this, but after that continue as per normal (All year military w/ one month break in between
while chasing wild wabbits and other wildlife). A few shots of Dwarven ale would do him good to get his mind off things.

Edited for spelling. derp.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:15:15 am by IpunchFaces »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2011, 09:53:09 am »

Valrandir made zero blocks last season. He literally spent every moment he could doing paperwork. He's still, therefore, a dabbling mason. It actually took kicking him out of his office to get him to eat and drink. I think after trading with the liaison he finally went "On Break."

Babalos' rustiness I can't explain, but might be due to the fact we're low on masonry workshops.

No clue why she won't use her bolts! She's got them assigned to her and everything!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:39 am »

Dorna walked in to Valrandir's office, looking at the massive piles of stone blocks, and seeing him working on another in his workshop.  "Valrandir, I wanted to talk about... ok, WHAT are you doing?"

"Making blocks," Valrandir said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"OK I can see that," Dorna said. "But WHY?  Don't you think we have enough?" She gestured at the storage room that was literally filled floor to ceiling with stone blocks.

Valrandir shook his head.  "Nope.  Could always use more stone blocks."

"For WHAT?  Building things?  Regular rock works wonders for that, and it doesn't take extra time to do."

"It's smoother!"

"So you're saying dwarves can't smooth rock when they make their constructions?  Or take advantage of the natural inconsistencies in natural rock to make a more interesting and unique construction?"

"What?  No I..."

"Then tell me, please... WHAT is the benefit of so many stone blocks?  I have to hear this."

((Serious inquiry, Val.))

Blocks are good.
Rough stones are bad.

Rough stones, when left unchecked, are found in every halls and every rooms.
They are the ugliness of any fortress.
They hinder stockpiles efforts, and twist the ankles of unwary dwarves.
They pollute everywhere by their presence.
What good is digging in stones compared to dirt, if we get stones all over the floor all the time?

With blocks, we organize 10 stones into one big square pile of order.
With blocks, we _process_ the stone.
With blocks, we can build worthy constructions.
How exactly would you clean a rough stone floor?
The dirt and everything hides in the cracks.
What would you do, when some goblin brains gets splashed against your rough staircases?
Nothing, it will be soiled, forever.

Smooth constructions are, by definition, cleanable.

Then, when the times come to build a majestic tower in the sky, to store our gold and gems and tombs, we shall have smooth blocks! We shall move them close to the construction site not one by one, but 10 by 10 with bins!!

We must have clean corridors.
We must have smooth everything.
We must have storage space.
We must organize rough things into pile of smooth squares in bins.

You would have me perform surgery next to a random rough wall, standing on a rough floor?
Now be silent and leave me to my important work.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2011, 10:16:03 am »

Plisskin here's the link to my orders for the next season.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81510.msg2198197#msg2198197

I would like to enrich them with the following.
- Change the bookeeper settings from max accuracy down to medium.

Doc Valrandir needs to focus on making blocks.
How's the bins going?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 48