Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77826 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2011, 10:38:00 am »

Just printscreen it and resize in paint? I dunno.

Anyway, in future we'll try to keep some livestock. Also, that palisade looks like things could get on top due to ramps and such... Hmm.

I'm going to make sure to double-stack the palisade where there are ramps, so nothing can climb over it. It's still in the middle of construction so it probably looks about as secure as a tin pot helmet. Oh yes, and I'll be removing the ramps where it connects with the hills before it's complete.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:42:29 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:03 am »

Dorna lugged a log from outside back into the nearby stockpiles and set it down, grumbling.  An entire season passed and STILL they hadn't breached the aquifer.  One of the guys in charge seemed to be cooking up some cockamamie scheme that involved a lot of channeling and dropping stuff, but she didn't get it.  Why not just keep mining around until they found some dry part of the aquifer to mine through?  It would be faster and she'd have access to the stone she needed.

She'd glanced over the trade depot when the traders arrived and spoke to one of the merchants, only to find out they didn't have anything she could use.  Unsurprisingly.  Moody about the development, she went outside to haul some more of the chopped-down wood inside.  Well... she thought as she lifted up another log, maybe I can at least get started on building the mechanic's workshop.  Not like I have anything else to do.

((OOC: No change in plans for me.  Keep hauling and idling until the stone is found, then I'll make as many mechanisms as I can.  Though if you decide to make a mechanic's workshop in the meantime (Like, when I have nothing better to do and am just idling) I'll take care of that.))
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:54:07 am by Chessrook44 »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:52 am »

You can always alt-prtsc. That just saves the current window, then just edit in paint.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:59 am »

Good Progress  :)

Here are my orders for Doc Valrandir for Winter.
- Have a table and chair constructed somewhere inside out of the way
- Declare this as an office for Doc Valrandir, and set him as manager and bookkeeper with max precision
- Continue breaching the aquifer

Security

If we have any spare Urists, form a squad of two with them.
Build two wooden armor stand and weapon rack in the barrack and declare it as such barrack.
The new squad will train non-stop with one wooden sword and one bone helm each.

- 8 -> empty space
  - A -> Armor Stand
  - W -> Weapon Rack

A 8 8 8 W
    8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8
    W 8 8 8 A

Edit:
Finally skulls should be made into totems, horns into crafts and bones into bolts.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:28 pm »

Am I doing this aquifer thing correctly?

Here's what's going on:

Here's the floor where I dug out the bottom of the rings. I thought I could collapse the outer one and then the water wouldn't be able to get into the middle, so I could channel downwards and collapse the ring into the next level of the aquifer. But . . . well. I think there's something I'm missing. Some important fact about this process.

I channel down, there's water. Do I just drop the next ring into it? I think I did completely screw up by channelling the rings out beforehand. If I drop the rings, there'll just be three walls with an aquifer still beneath them. I appear to have accomplished nothing more than creating a bullseye pattern on top of the aquifer.

I don't understand what I did wrong, but I don't think we're getting anywhere. Thankfully I did find a bit of sandstone beside this. We could make pumps and try to do things that way. I think it'll be necessary.

The Winter update is going to be low on screenshots because I couldn't focus on what I was doing, due to me panicking over this project and I haven't been able to get other people's stuff done while I focused on it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:20:47 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2011, 01:31:03 pm »

Did you channel down in the aquifer before dropping the first ring?

1. Channel down into the aquifer to make room for the first ring to drop in
2. Next channel everything inside the dropped ring, pump out the water and no new water will flow in, because that the first ring is stopping it.
3. Channel for the second ring, if the aquifer was only one level deep, then it is done. If not you will get water, repeat the process.

Soo I missed one important fact, we will be needing at least one pump to drain the center before proceeding to the next level.
Surely we can get some kind of stone from the traders to make a mechanism? We can use wood for the block, corkscrew and pipe.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

er.. If we are going to use pumps, why are we bothering with this huge ring design, and not just digging a small shaft, pumping water out until we can shore up the water with walls?

*still waits on a fisherdwarf, any fisherdwarf... :D*
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »

Did you channel down in the aquifer before dropping the first ring?

1. Channel down into the aquifer to make room for the first ring to drop in
2. Next channel everything inside the dropped ring, pump out the water and no new water will flow in, because that the first ring is stopping it.
3. Channel for the second ring, if the aquifer was only one level deep, then it is done. If not you will get water, repeat the process.

Soo I missed one important fact, we will be needing at least one pump to drain the center before proceeding to the next level.
Surely we can get some kind of stone from the traders to make a mechanism? We can use wood for the block, corkscrew and pipe.

Ha ha! Excellent! Thanks, Val. The pumping was the part I missed and we have everything we need for a mechanism with the sandstone we just found.

I'm going to make next update less fort activity based and more character based due to the focus on the aquifer.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2011, 01:39:43 pm »

er.. If we are going to use pumps, why are we bothering with this huge ring design, and not just digging a small shaft, pumping water out until we can shore up the water with walls?

*still waits on a fisherdwarf, any fisherdwarf... :D*

It was due to the possibility of there being multiple aquifer layers present. The ring method would make things go faster. Now that I know what I'm doing we're off to business.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »

I suppose in a fort with a lot of player involvement with all thsi traitor stuff, character building is a good thing, that's nice. I really like it. :) You've written this well, and with the aquifer puncher under way we'll be doing well. :) It'll be nice to see us develop into a community. Even if it may end in... fun? !!FUN!!? XXFUNXX? Who knows. What with this aquifer, I vote for ~Fun~.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »

We have sandstone?  Excellent.  Dorna shall thusly be pumping out mechanisms faster than a consort pumps out babies!

....that metaphor sounded better in my head...

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:24 pm »

STONES !?!
We are saved!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:09 pm »

21 migrants! Armok be praised!

Prepare for dorfing announcements! Prepare for me to attempt to re-organize everyone's orders and priorities after the next seasonal post!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »

21 migrants! Armok be praised!

Prepare for dorfing announcements! Prepare for me to attempt to re-organize everyone's orders and priorities after the next seasonal post!

O M G

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »

I would like to join.

Dwarf: Rath

Initial Professions:Butchery, Animal Training, & Bone Carving.

Bio:Likes dogs for their ability to be trained as war dogs and the bones for his "art" bone carving.

I'll find you a dorf as soon as one is available. There's a very nice hunting dwarf from the latest migration wave if you're interested!

Everyone except for UristImiknorris, SethCreyld and flieroflight were just dorfed. In 21 dorfs, there were no good observers, mechanics/architects or beekeepers. Let me know if you guys can settle in terms if your skill or if you want to wait.

Wow, I've got a lot to do. I'll update a double season Winter - Spring post after dinner.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:39:29 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48