Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77827 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »

I approve. :D Palisade is how much nearly done?

Also, bees aren't so valuable any more.

It's . . . about a quarter of the way to done but if you consider the river as an impassable border then its halfway. I just need to build 'round the pseudoplug then back to the river. Then a bridge, then finish the other side. We'll have an enclosed length of river from which we can draw mighty power.

Even microcline would be a godsend right now. Microcline.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:55 pm »

I love microcline.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

Don't suppose you feel like having my chap sort out the bees? He'll need some hives though and a place which isn't too exposed to tend to them :] Mead is delicious!

Are those orders? If so, I'll set you to all manner of beekeeping duties and have you make the beehives themselves. It may draw goblins, but our palisade will be done soon . . . ish.

Yep they are indeed. Though expect poor quality hives - my dwarf isn't much of a craftsdwarf :p
He'll need jugs too, and eventually a screw press!
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2011, 04:42:31 pm »

Well, during the week I'm unable to post in the 'day', I'm usually not available until 4.30/5pm here in the UK, so I'll give my orders now for what to do once the palisade is bigger...

1. Initiate all livestock into pasture zones. Give individual zones for each animal to prevent fighting. Yaks and such may need a large area.
2. Supervise the setting up of workshops for farming, for the Urists.
3. Help to build a defendable entrance to the palisade. Don't channel or whatever, so it won't look out of place if we expand.
4. Once stone is available, build a wood furnace, and set a group of Urists collecting and burning wood.
5. Once metal is available, begin to smelt it.
6. Once we have bars, I shall personally begin creation of lots of copper or whatever picks, this shall gain me reasonal exp., allow for mining operations to expand, and use metal not too important.
7. If steel production is possible, I shall begin to produce steel weapons and armor, but only once my levels are reasonable.

If anything else is happening, and I've got nothing to do, stick me in to help on anything.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

I'd like to take the one at the bottom as my apprentice caus eI don't think anyone else will want her. Name her Water Building Designer, and change her labor enabled to Architecture.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »

Why process the Yaks now? We can just milk them.

Because we are quite low on food.
If you want to take care of the food situation I can retract that order.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2011, 08:46:56 pm »

Oh dear, I'm glad I'm saving seasonally. I didn't follow Valrandir's aquifer instructions properly and I'll have to re-do them. So, next update shall be a bit late.

Agh. Autobackup was turned off. So we don't have a seasonal save. I'm not sure I've totally screwed up though: I just ended up channeling out more than I should before the first drop. Specifically, I channelled the very middle of the plug out down to the aquifer. Don't ask me why I did this: I . . . thought the rings were dropped separately.

Here's a pic of my n00bish fumbling:

I didn't realize that the whole thing had to be dropped first, THEN the channelling would be done section by section. So, can I plug the very middle up with some walls/floors or will they deconstruct on impact, leaving all this work completely wasted?

We can easily repeat this process but it'll take another two seasons. I can't believe I didn't have Autobackup on.

This picture looks fine, its ok to do all the channeling first.
if you did not yet construct the support and can no longer access the ring, then build some floors to get access, then build the supporting architecture and finally remove the floors.

Or is there's another problem? YOur picture looks fine.

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:15 pm »

I would like to join.

Dwarf: Rath

Initial Professions:Butchery, Animal Training, & Bone Carving.

Bio:Likes dogs for their ability to be trained as war dogs and the bones for his "art" bone carving.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:33 am »

If we're low on food set CrazyTeddles to hunting - practice for when goblins come. If we have a sword then have him hunt large creatures, but if not have him wrestle small creatures. Either is good practice.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2011, 06:32:48 am »

Question: Can we ask apprentice dwarves to use other skills they may have had?  For example, "Oi!  Urist!  You used to be a mason, right?  Think you can whip up a floodgate for this project and then hook it up to the lever we need?" As said by a mechanic.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2011, 08:49:07 am »

Question: Can we ask apprentice dwarves to use other skills they may have had?  For example, "Oi!  Urist!  You used to be a mason, right?  Think you can whip up a floodgate for this project and then hook it up to the lever we need?" As said by a mechanic.

Aye, of course. They're just not going to respond to orders that have nothing to do with you and your personal goals. Therefore, someone taking the Captain of the Guard post and using his squad to patrol for suspicious activity in the future might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:36:31 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:43 am »

Aye, of course. They're just not going to respond to orders that have nothing to do with you and your personal goals. Therefore, someone taking the Captain of the Guard post and using his squad to patrol for suspicious activity in the future might be a good idea.

Valrandir hasn't responded to if the breach is screwed or not, so I'm going to look it up on the wiki and continue playing. No need to delay things, we've got a lot of people waiting.

I've responded a few posts above yesterday, and also sent you a PM.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:55 am »

1002U - AUTUMN

EmperorJon and Doctor Valrandir sat in the dining room across the table from one another. Surrounding them was the bustle and commotion of a fort at its beginnings, but they sat silent trying to avoid eye contact. Valrandir was sketching up another copy of an aquifer plan while EmperorJon chewed on a plump helmet.

"So," EmperorJon said staring off into space, "Why don't we have stone yet?"

Valrandir's pencil stopped its scribbling. He sat there frozen for a moment before pinching the bridge of his nose right between both squinting eyes and said, "I'm trying to concentrate."

"No no, explain it to me if you can. I'm no engineer. I'm a smith. I work with metals. Metals, stuff that you find in stone. So I'm interested in finding out why there's nothing for me to do right now."

With the air of a man on the edge of his patience Valrandir sighed and pushed himself back from his work to stare at the smith in silence. Babalos had enough time to walk in and collect the stray plump helmet spawn before the doc spoke.

"It's not a magic spell you cast. We're almost there."

"There was some confusion about whether or not it would actually pierce the aquifer, but I cleared that up with the miners. Everything will work as long as we drop the rings in the proper order."

Several puppies ran yipping and yapping at each other through the tables and the doctor's legs, causing him to instinctively raise them up.

"These dogs are a sanitation nightmare. Someone should . . . do something about them."

"So what do we do in the meantime, doc?" asked Greymist, entering from the direction of the dormitories, "I can't get much sleep with all the work that's being  done around here. New bed is nice, but there's noise 24 hours a day."

"I don't know. Make yourself useful. We've got to prepare ourselves for the caravan incoming at the end of the season."

Outside, Crazyteddles slammed down another haul of lumber next to Spera who had just erected a bowyer's shop.

"You say you need how much lumber again?"

"As much as you can spare."

As she sat carving out the stock she saw Cap'n Blunderbooze dragging a yak in towards the entrance.

"Pasture's that way," she pointed.

"Oh believe you me, I know. I've stepped in enough yak to know what's the pasture and what's not. The doctor told me to cut these up, though."

"Cut it up?"

"Yeah, I'll uh . . . learn as I go I guess. I've seen it done before, can't be too difficult."

The newly-established trash zone outside quickly filled with rat corpses and the various inedible parts of yak.

"Cap'n," Spera said, seeing the bones of the yak pile up just meters away, "Cancel some of that lumber. I think I'll be set."

"Sure thing. It's not like we're short on it."

Midsummer, three more guild members appeared over the lip of the hill. They were pointed in the direction of the aquifer zone and told to erect the supports.

Babalos spent some time out in the fields making sure that Sodel was well fed.

And not scaring the bull that the newcomers had brought.

The breaching zone quickly evolved after the hillside had been cleared. Even with just Mipe and Stiric working the rings were carved out in short order.

EmperorJon grumbled over the fact that the palisade had been put on hold for the creation of the wooden ring supports.

Progress halted with the sudden arrival of something everyone expected but nobody was prepared for.

Cap'n Blunderbooze ordered some of the random idlers to go crank out as much dwarven syrup as they could in as little time as possible.

An effort impossible in the absence of Sweet Pods.

Spera's bolt-making efforts were put on hold for the production of wooden crafts, a request that went unanswered for days while the merchants milled about in the depot. Doctor Val tried to stall them for as long as he could while barrels were hauled in.

Ultimately, a tiny pile of scraps was all that could be brought together for the caravan. Some of the pieces of trade were as-of-yet unused military equipment of shoddy workdwarfship in copper. The Doctor, desperate for even a small amount of trade, did his best to convince them that it was worth their drink and cloth.

They'd need to think quickly in order to make out with any sort of goods from the caravan. Winter was upon them and they were still trying to crack the earth.

OVERVIEW:

STOCKS:

THE FORT AS IT STANDS

We're still in the middle of trade, but we've got almost nothing to trade. I'll try to produce some wooden crafts before they leave. Valrandir says that the breaching will work anyway, so we'll have stone soon.

Some have already given me their orders. Others have a little bit of time to do so. I'll play the next season ASAP and we'll have stone come second year.

Dorna's control room and PBD's four-posts will commence as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:26:58 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:04 am »

I want to do better with screenshots, but I use Windows 7 Snipping Tool and it doesn't allow me to resize the screencaps it takes. Does anybody know of a program that allows you to screencap sections of screen and then edit them?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:19 am »

Just printscreen it and resize in paint? I dunno.

Anyway, in future we'll try to keep some livestock. Also, that palisade looks like things could get on top due to ramps and such... Hmm.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48