Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77776 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

Prospector is Cheating! No prospector! Be a real dorf!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »

Seven dwarfs: five women and two men.

1 Male Talented Mason

1 Male High Master Grower/Armorsmith

1 Female Hammerdwarf/Dyer

1 Female Peasant

1 Female Talented Woodcutter/Carpenter/Bowyer and Adept Leatherworker

1 Female Clothier/Armorsmith

1 Female Dyer with Novice combat skills

THUSLY I SHALL DWARF AUTOMATICALLY, BASED OFF OF POST DATE, SKILL AND GENDER REQUIREMENTS:

tcei - Greymist the Mechanic/Engraver shall build her skills off of the useless Peasant.

Johnny Digs - Gets the High Master Grower, will build his skills in mining and stonecrafting

USEC_OFFICER - Gets the male Mason/Architect

Bayar - Gets a random female dwarf due to a lack of specificity

Chessrook44 - Gets the clothier, for her personality is most friendly of the immigrants

goukaryuujin - Gets the bowyer, as requested in her description.

Until summer is up they're all Urists for assisting in the completion of necessary set-up tasks.

Let me know if anyone wants to claim any of the remaining female Urists. I shall dorf them and continue and I hope to post soon!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:55:00 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2011, 02:19:13 pm »

I get a clothier?  Ah jeez, what happened to mechanic?

Ah well, perhaps it was just a mixup in the paperwork.  I'm supposed to be a mechanic darnit!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2011, 02:50:55 pm »

I get a clothier?  Ah jeez, what happened to mechanic?

Ah well, perhaps it was just a mixup in the paperwork.  I'm supposed to be a mechanic darnit!

I can de-dorf you if you like, there just weren't any female mechanics on the first wave. Let me know if you'd like her to remain a Urist and I'll take your name off of her.

This goes for everyone, in fact.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »

1002U - SUMMER

"We need perimeter defence," EmperorJohn repeated. Doc Val, across the table from him, raised an eyebrow while supping some fresh dwarven wine. He and Powder Building Designer, whom the rest had taken to calling PBD out of simplicity, had made a veritable tablecloth out of their sketches for how to breach the aquifer.

"Really, now? We're seven-all living in a gnome hole with water in the basement, nobody knows we're even here except our respective guilds and you're planning fortress defence. Keeping out the plump helmet thieves?"

The doc slapped his hand down on the table directly under the mug of Stiric before he could place it on top of a sketch.

"Don't put that there, use a . . . coaster."

EmperorJon continued, "It may not seem important now, but it'll be when we start making a name for ourselves. Which I plan to. This place is going to be the most important mountainhome yet built. And I don't want to see it crumble."

The Doc sighed placing his hands a centimetre behind his head with fingers interlocked, "As long as you don't take the miners away from their digging duty."

EmperorJon's gaze lifted to the ceiling as he replied, "Kidding, doc? I'm going to build the damn thing myself if I have to."

"Stone should be our first priority," the Doc said, "We're not going to have much to show for the months we've spent here when the caravan shows up. And I simply refuse to sleep any longer than necessary in our dormitories."

"Filthy, filthy," he muttered to himself, picking a stray hair off of his sleeve. PBD stopped sketching for a moment when it drifted in the way of his pencil, stared at it, blew it off the table and said, "When did we get five tables?"

"Last night. That's why none of us got any sleep," Stiric said rubbing his left eye, "Crazyteddles was hauling them in."

At that moment Mipe entered looking even more muddy than usual complaining that the walls were bleeding water.

Everyone exchanged glances before turning to the doc, who wrinkled his nose at the news, "That's . . . unexpected. It must be a pond above ground."

"No pond," said Mipe, "none that I've seen anyway. It's just raw earth up above, and dry too. The stairs aren't wet, just that one corner. Looks like we decided to build our fort on a damned spring."

Valrandir pondered this before nearly leaping out of his chair at the sound an explosion. Steam poured out of the farming area as the lot of them ran down the hall to find Cap'n Blunderbooze coughing and waving his cap at the still, from which poured gouts of steam. "Nothing! Nothing! Back to work, everyone! Back to bloody work! Pay no mind! Nothing to see here!"

Mipe stayed to help him clean up the mess while Valrandir and PBD returned to the dining hall now empty. EmperorJon had stolen off to somewhere, presumably to work on the palisade. Glad to have the place to himself, Valrandir gave the tables a once-over with his eyes before resting to ponder the issue of reaching stone.

"Two layers of groundwater, plus the hillside isn't flat. We're going to have to change something in our plans. Perhaps pumps would do the trick? No, not enough mechanisms. Can't count on the caravan, can't rely on anyone here. Have to change something."

"The hillside," offered PBD without looking up.

"Eh?"

"Change the hillside."

EmperorJon and Mipe were tasked with flattening out the hill in order to make the doc's plans possible. CrazyTeddies continued to hack away at the forest starting with the hillside they were cleaving away.

"I'm not feeling secure out here without a wall," he said to Mipe as they laboured.

"Hey, look on the bright side. At least the weather's nice."

In the distance, pelted by the downpour, grey ominous shapes lumbered across the land. The dwarves did their best to avoid them, uneasy about their presence but uncertain as to exactly why.

Cap'n Blunderbooze, after the accident, turned his attention towards processing the sweet pods into something slightly less explosive than rum.

With mid-summer came an end to the rains, and the approach of some very welcome faces: namely, unfamiliar ones.

They took up residence in the dining hall much to the initial annoyance of the doctor, who warmed to their presence when he saw that the majority of them were, in fact, female.

"Welcome to the Hill," Cap'n Blunderbooze smiled as they began setting their various things in the corner, "Have a bite of biscuit. A free mug o' wine for anyone who can guess what's in 'em!"

"Why are there yaks in the dining room?" puzzled an aspiring mechanic who had introduced herself as Greymist, "They . . . look a bit on the slim side."

"I, eh?" is all the response she received before they were hauled out onto the grasses.

The new immigrants were as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All seven of them quickly went to task in assisting Crazyteddles with hauling lumber while EmperorJon oversaw the construction of the new, larger palisade. Lacking any personal chambers or workspaces, they set aside their specific goals as guild members to assist the efforts of the fort.

Johnny Digs, lacking a pick to mine with, went to investigate the possibilities of fishing the rivers. Food reserves being low as they were, nobody objected. He returned at the end of the day with a mad look in his eye, refusing to say anything about his day besides, "Lets try to get used to plump helmets and yak meat for now, eh?"

By the end of summer, the hillside had been smoothed down by a single dwarf-height, ready for the trenches to be dug for the cave-in.

Valrandir estimated the location where the breach would occur, off to the east side of the fort.

EmperorJon's palisade, with the aid of the extra seven pairs of dwarfy hands, was progressing rapidly. The northwest corner had been erected and the yaks grazed peacefully behind it. Only a few holes had to be plugged before the entire west side of the fort would be safe from invasions. Wood was in as ample supply as labour.

The upper hills would also be cordoned off with no room for any intruders to pass or fire down upon any hapless citizens.

The Trustworthy Guild had need additions, showing that their goal was far from fruitless. Already the various faces from the myriad old guilds were finding themselves at home. Hope was in the air at this new beginning: a chance to become something greater than the society that had spawned them.

STOCKS:

THE FORT AS IT STANDS

We've got some basic workshops, lots of lumber and a plan. I had to rearrange Valrandir's cave-in plan a little because of bumpy terrain but it'll still be performed as per his instructions with the concentric collapse method. I don't know how I got damp stone on a hill. I guess this area is just that wet.

I need everyone who has a dorf to give me their Autumn orders. Include what you want your orders, and tell me if you can what labours you want activated on your dorf. Even if it's not important, it'll help me organize things. Tell me each time you give me orders what labours you'll have activated for the season, even if it's just "same as last season."

Mipe, JoshuaIX, and anyone else who hasn't given me orders within the past couple of days: let me know if you need more time to get yours ready.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:11:14 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »

I'm not secure with working outside with no wall! :P I quite like my paranoid personality.

Anyway, you know what I should continue with. Palisaaade. Then after that, if it gets finished, I'll help with the cave in thing.

Maybe being a smith was pointless. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »

Dorna looked around the fort as she walked in.  "Dirt, dirt, and more dirt.  What, is there no stone in the ground?"  She muttered to herself.

"Fraid not," She heard one of the seven original dwarves say.  "Or well, there should be, but there's a goddang aquifer under the fort.  We're trying to find our way through."

Dorna sighed.  "Fan-freaking-tastic.  How the hell are we supposed to defend the fort without any stone for bridges or traps?  I can't even ply my trade here without any stone."

One of the dwarves raised an eyebrow.  "Stone?  Paper here says you're a clothier.  What, you gonna make clothing out of rocks?"

Dorna gasped.  "Clothier?  What are you... oh jeez, they messed up the paperwork.  I'm a mechanic, not a clothier!  Jeez, you think simple walls are going to work here?  We need bridges, traps, levers, mechanisms, all that stuff.  And lava if we can pull it in!  Ugh, at least I can get SOME preparation done in the meantime."  She walked over to a dwarf with a picaxe.  "Oi you!  You're a miner, right?  When you got some free time I need you to mine out a room for me.  It'll be the control room, hear?  Find a place on the map to put some 21 by 21 room and mine it out.  I'm gonna get a drink, maybe haul some stuff around."  With that, she headed off to find a room.

((OOC: Yeah, that's pretty much it.  Want to get one of the miners to start on the creation of a control room for me, 21x21 in size, one door in.  Just find a little room for it somewhere if you can.  As for me, keep me on hauling and such for now, but build a Mechanic's workshop ASAP by me, and once stone is found, I'll be cranking out the Mechanisms.  It's my trade, and I'm gonna make this fort the most mechanical fort this side of the Hills.))

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »

This fort is already more horrifying than most evil embarks. Elephants and Carp? Those of us who played the older versions know how scary that is. XD
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2011, 05:02:43 pm »

I'm not secure with working outside with no wall! :P I quite like my paranoid personality.

Anyway, you know what I should continue with. Palisaaade. Then after that, if it gets finished, I'll help with the cave in thing.

Maybe being a smith was pointless. :P

We're gonna get to that metal and turn it into great things. We're just limited in terms of labour by having exactly two picks and a big digging project to go through with.

The wall will probably be almost done by the time we're down to stone, so we'll be snug and safe inside our giant box.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »

Babalos will do hauling for now. Once we actually get some stone, turn off all hauling labours and turn on Masonry. Construct a Masonry Workshop, and churn out stone blocks.

Architecture should be the only thing else activated as a labour. (I'll probably do some in-character stuff or something next update.)

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:12 pm »

As Spera entered the fort, she was jittery with excitment, from all the nice big animals, to the copious ammounts of wood outside the fort! Seeing a dwarf who hadent been traveling with the band of migrants, she quickly runs over to him, a look of child-like joy spread acrost her face. "Hey, do you know if there are any bowyers workshops built yet?"

"Not that I know of." Was all the other dwarf replied before resuming what he was doing.

"Would anybody have a tantrum if i built one then..?" She quickly asked back, a hopeful glint in her eyes.

The dwarf shrugs before muttering "I would ask the PBD first, you never know what he is planning..." before walking off and going about his own buisness, leaving Spera standing with a look of bewilderment and not so subtle annoyance.

(( Have her build a bowyers workshop and a craftsdwarf's workshop next to eachother somewhere where they wont get in the way, then have her make about 3 crossbows befor spending the rest of the season making bolts out of wood or bone. and leave her hauling off. 
skills: Bowyer, woodcrafting and bonecrafting enabled. ))
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:08 pm »

Greymist stood outside the fort and sighed, the whole venture had been a disaster, what kind of fort had no rock?

"When you get a chance can you build me a bed, and place it in the dorms with the founding 7 for now?" She asked to a passing dwarf, before returning to her brooding.

As the sun set, she heard the distant calls of an elephant. "Perhaps this wont be so bad after all" She said. Looking into the distance with a fey gleam in her eye, she turned and reentered the fort. "Lessee.. need cages..and mechanisims..and.."

______

OOC: For the time being have Grey chill out socializing with the others.  If absolutely needed she can do some hauling/wall building. If/when the aquifier is breeched and Dorna has started making mechanisims have Grey go out and build some cage traps to catch a few elephants. One of the urist or a carpenter (do we have one?) can make the cages - and the bed. I will have a pet elephant! Also keep me updated on who she likes/hates. I freaking LOVE her profile :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:21 pm »

The wall will probably be almost done by the time we're down to stone, so we'll be snug and safe inside our giant box.
Or are we all just trapping us in so the traitors can get us?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »

Or are we all just trapping us in so the traitors can get us?
Fixed your quote, and I think if you just sealed yourself off it would turn into a more-chaotic-than-normal fortress with a Mafia game in the middle, except none of the mafia would know each other's identities.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »

Powder Building Designer would help as much as possible with the projects going on, but he would also build a pole sticking straight up 8 dwarf-heights, with a spiral staircase going up it, and then another one on the other side of the area. And then 2 more to form a rectangle shape. He would then build a floor connecting the four poles. Yes, his masterpiece would hopefully be going well.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48