Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77734 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

Well that went really well! :D I hope this palisade gets up and we punch the the aquifer. I think the best defence... is a wooden wall round the whole map area we need. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

I might be too late to the party, but I'd like to join. Here's my dwarf.

Always room for more! Er, I . . . hope! Make sure you read all the wordy crap I've typed up about the fort, especially the bit about things slowing down later in its development. But yes, I like your concept so you're in.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Can I join?

Name: dhokarena56
Profession: Gem Setter, Broker. Choose somebody who's a little bit introverted.

I am already a Gem Setter and Broker, please choose something else.

I can make you a Gem Setter if you absolutely insist, but the broker position is taken as Val has shown. We do need a gem cutter, though, and we'll need nobles in the future as well. I'll add you as soon as you reply to this post.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 12:01:10 pm »

After reviewing the plans... I have no bloody idea how we're going to solve this aquifer prob.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »

could always do the old aquifier trick, and then seal up the roof later.  :P
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »

After reviewing the plans... I have no bloody idea how we're going to solve this aquifer prob.

It's a sticky wicket for sure because we're lacking sufficient Z-levels to do the cave-in method and soil can't be smoothed. I suggest everyone involved check the wiki for dealing with aquifers. By the way, the biome map didn't mention an aquifer at all here so I'm a bit stumped. It's entirely possible that there's no aquifer to the south of the river, though, so you guys could possibly brick off this fort area and reposition yourself where there is no aquifer.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile

Always room for more! Er, I . . . hope! Make sure you read all the wordy crap I've typed up about the fort, especially the bit about things slowing down later in its development. But yes, I like your concept so you're in.

Oh, sweet! Cheers.

By the way, his name is such because he hasn't got one, since his parents passed on before they could name him. It's more of a given title by the other dwarves who were unfortunate to experience his handiwork first-hand, but blessed enough to live and tell about it. In the end, the name stuck.

It's good to be back making characters and writing backstories. Reminds me of my younger, more creative years.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Great Update!

Doc Valrandir is pondering the aquifer situation.

I got a few question to our GM:
- Is there's any tame animals that we could all agree to butcher?
- Do we have
  - Threads
  - Cloths
  - dimple cups seeds
  - pigtail seeds
- How much of food and drinks are in stock?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:22 pm »

Doc Valrandir is designing his blueprints on how to break the aquifer.
Do we have any ways of getting mechanism? They are optional but useful.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:35:59 pm by Valrandir »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:44 pm »

Great Update!

Doc Valrandir is pondering the aquifer situation.

I got a few question to our GM:
- Is there's any tame animals that we could all agree to butcher?
- Do we have
  - Threads
  - Cloths
  - dimple cups seeds
  - pigtail seeds
- How much of food and drinks are in stock?

We're planting Dimple Cups, we have 2 units of thread and cloth each, and we have seeds for all underground plants. We have two yaks and two war dogs. We could slaughter a yak if necessary.

We did not embark with any stone for mechanisms so we'll have to either trade for it or do exploratory digging for an aquifer-free area. We're in the middle of three biomes, so it is likely there's some dry spots around; they're probably to the south since we're digging for the aquifer in the north.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:37:27 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

It's good to be back making characters and writing backstories. Reminds me of my younger, more creative years.

I can get behind any character whose primary personality traits involve faces and the punching thereof.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:54 pm »

Dimple cups are pretty useless - you can't eat or brew them. As for the aquifer, are you sure we can't punch through?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2011, 01:08:28 pm »

Dimple cups are pretty useless - you can't eat or brew them. As for the aquifer, are you sure we can't punch through?

Well . . . we could, but we'd have to do so from one of the hills. Is there any nice topography utility I could use to show the landscape? That should help everyone see the situation we're in. Maybe I could just use stonesense since I've got the Lazy Newb Pack and all.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »

Well . . . we could, but we'd have to do so from one of the hills. Is there any nice topography utility I could use to show the landscape? That should help everyone see the situation we're in. Maybe I could just use stonesense since I've got the Lazy Newb Pack and all.

There's the Fortress Overseer visualizer. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63484.0
Here's an example of how it'll look like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0UKBtm6o_c

Personally, I haven't tried using it yet. You could try fiddling with it, though. If it doesn't work out, there's always stonesense to fall back to.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:30 pm »

I will be posting Doctor Valrandir blueprints and steps to pierce the aquifer.
They will be ready sometime today.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48