Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77721 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

Ok, if we're starting I guess a smith has not much to do? So, I dunno, I'll work on building a big stone/wood/whatever wall around an area around entrance, and engineer the ramps and walls and such so that it's not possible for gobbos to get inside the walls, on the walls, or shoot over the walls. Then we can keep all the animals outside, and build a trap entrance and a safe road to the edge of the map.

If there is metal to play with, I'll pump out some copper picks for the incoming Urists so we have a big miner team, nice to gain some experience.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Am i on the list for dwarfing? just my post was near the end of the page so may have been unseen

Added!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

This is what Doc Valrandir will be doing for the first season.

See my first season post
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81510.msg2160030#msg2160030

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Powder Building Designer drew on his tablet, creating ideas for his masterpiece- it would take a while to think up though. So after assisting another architect, he decided he'd get the mundane things done. He decided to make a Trade Depot- to get it out of the way- and help with whatever else needed doing. He continued writing.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

So far, I have orders from:

Valrandir
Powder Miner
EmperorJon
EddyP

Waiting on Bdthemag, JoshuaXI and mepe9. If they haven't given orders within a day or so they'll be considered Urists and given a second chance next season.

I like Valrandir's entryway plans. They're vital and well thought out.

I would also like to draw some attention to the dynamics of traitors and non-traitors: I have to truthfully answer any question that a forumite asks in this thread. Questions are A-OK. However, I cannot give you information your dorf wouldn't reasonably know personally. In a sense, you can keep a close eye on anything that has to do with your own orders but that's it.

Examples: you can check your own constructions for flaws while you're building them but not if you've moved on to other projects. You can give me orders for your dwarf to stay in a burrow and watch everything in it but s/he will be unaware of anything else happening in the fort besides what I choose to add if your dwarf has been socializing and thus would have heard rumours. You can tell me to have your dwarf join the military and patrol the surface looking for suspicious activity, naturally, but you can NOT ask me to just tell you what's happening in some corner of the fort unless your dwarf has walked there as part of his written orders in this thread or I have seen them in the area. Your dwarf must be physically present in an area to have visual knowledge of it, or at least in reasonable eyesight range of it. This goes for everyone, traitor and non alike.

Also, no non-traitor can give orders via PM. They MUST be public. That's what makes the traitors such slimy weasels: they have to go behind the fort's back to accomplish their goals. Therefore, if you want to look out for saboteurs, you should orient your activities around that . . . but a dwarf can only do so much in a season. If the traitors have made you all so paranoid you can't get any work done, they've won haven't they?

Traitors may seem like they have the upper hand with being able to PM me, but remember that everything they do has a chance of getting them punished in any way the fort can imagine and if they do anything blatant in sight of others I am 100% obliged to tell you what's happening in your fort.

Also (to emulate that MMO feeling) Urists are stone-dumb tools with all the grey matter of an NPC from the first Final Fantasy, the one for the old NES. They don't share rumours on their own and they don't have personalities except what I give them. They can't be asked detailed questions: all they'll answer with is a general review of their recent activities. "Cut some stones. Hauled some lumber. Made some booze. The usual. Who told me to do it? Some guy. I think he was a mason or something." Questioning the populace could be useful for general information on what they've been doing, especially if they start giving strange answers, but it'll cost your dwarf time socializing in the meeting hall. The nobility may want to do this if they want to seem useful.

Apprentices will be useful for both traitors and non-traitors for their own purposes as they can be given more specific orders and be questioned in more detail than Urists.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:19:57 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sounds good! :D
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Stiric muttering to himself begins gathering the materials needed to build a Mason's Workshop.
"We do need door's after all."
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

What about the intellect of Apprentice Urists?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I'd assume Apprentice Urists have a singleminded devotion to their jobs and fantasize about becoming legendary.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

What about the intellect of Apprentice Urists?

Okay, time to address the issue of apprentices:

I meant to address that in more detail, actually. Apprentices are no longer Urists, they're sub-PCs and thus communication between you and them can have much more depth. You nickname them and involve them in your personal orders (I emphasize) as much as you like. What you tell them to do should be reasonable. By "reasonable" I mean related to you and your skills and goals. It wouldn't make sense for you to send your own apprentice off to join the military if you're a cheese maker and expect him to stay your apprentice, nor would it make sense for you to tell him to spend day and night roaming the halls searching for suspicious activity . . . unless you're the Captain of the Guard. That's his job, after all.

To answer Powder Miner's question: they have more intellect than a Urist. They will inform you of their opinions, what they've seen and done and so on.

Apprentices are part of your dorf's story. They're learning new stuff as you gain in skill with your help. Eventually, if you all survive, you'll end up all being Legendary Cheese Makers or whatever and be your own little "band of cheese-makers." I have to tell apprentices to do whatever you tell them, but I'm in control of their personality and writing their reactions to things. Think of them as "party members" if you will, were this an RPG.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:25:07 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

OKAY I have no orders from mipe9 or JoshuaXI but we need to get started so here goes.

I want to warn everyone that my play-time might get extremely slow as the 21 dorfs trickle in. Soon I will be managing the collective intentions of 21 dorfs PLUS their apprentices. I may be playing this game, at times, by pressing "." to skip frames in order to make sure everything is going as planned. What every dwarf has seen and heard will be very hard to keep track of with so many involved. So, I apologize in advance for any mistakes, mishaps, deaths, miscommuncation, death by magma, incomprehensible prose, late updates, screw-ups, disasters and general disappointment that may come from such a hectic undertaking. I hope I'm up to task.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

Can I join?

Name: dhokarena56
Profession: Gem Setter, Broker. Choose somebody who's a little bit introverted.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

1002U - SPRING

Powder Building Designer and Doctor Valrandir sat in the shade of some mango trees when the miners came out to offer their report. The Designer had been sketching beside the war dogs since they'd arrived and had only muttered "Need raw materials for the depot" when queried. The Doctor, having finished with his blueprints, spent the rest of the time trying to keep his personal affects as clean as possible.

"Doc, we've got a problem," said EmperorJon as he slapped mud off of his trousers.

It was the last thing that Valrandir had wanted. Not the problem itself, of course, but the mud dust flying all over his doctor's bag. With haste he pulled it aside and began fanning it with his handkerchief, making sure to not touch the leather itself.

"Yes? Yes, of course. Problems. We've all got problems. I've been sitting on a rock picking ants off of myself with a tweezer for the past 12 hours. Problems of all kinds, us. What's your problem? Is it serious? Does it require medical attention?"

"Well-"

"Because if it does," said the doc, "We'll have to amputate since the last proper medical facilities we could have used are a week's tromping through the forest back where we came from. Was there a pick accident? A cave-in? What?"

"Well," Mipe said lumbering out of the cool shade of the entryway they'd carved, "We've got the most of the place hacked out with no problems. Didn't even stub a toe."

"Excellent. Most excellent," the doc was still distracted by the mud dust, "I'm sure we'll be sleeping like kings in days. As soon as we've got beds, of course."

"Well, Crazyteddles seems to have taken a shine to downing trees. He's got a big pile of lumber going over there. Surely we'll have beds in no time."

"And tables, too," muttered the doc, "Something to keep the dirt off of my bag. So, wood isn't the problem. The mining wasn't the problem. You have a cold? I have some . . . honey extract . . . somewhere in here."

"No no, nothing like that."

"Well then, out with it man!"

EmperorJon and Mipe exchanged glances, "Well . . . we've tried to follow your plans to a T but apparently we're standing on a watershed. The basement is flooded to all heck. There's no way we'll be able to dig down to rock unless we find some way around it."

"An aquifer," Powder Building Designer offered, "We're standing on an aquifer."

"Whatever it is, we're not going to get very far unless we plan around it," EmperorJon said as he tapped one of the kegs, "And it's a damn good thing we brought a woodcutting axe."

"No rock?" Stiric looked dismayed, "I need to get my workshop up. My guild isn't going to like this."

"Aye, no bloody rock yet until we get ourselves a plan."

After swilling their booze down EmperorJon and Mipe began grinding the edges of the cliff back and flattening them. Jon seemed concerned about erecting a perimeter and getting the yaks penned in. As they set to work CrazyTeddles began propping up tree trunks to form a wall. In little time an enclosure was in place. Teddles, with a newfound affinity for wood, did his best to imitate what rumours he'd heard about how carpentry workshops might be set up. The result wasn't anything special but for a dwarf lacking any knowledge in the matter it was a fine woodshapin' shack.

By this time, everyone had been working tirelessly for long hours. The miners had told everyone "I just need to . . . sit for a moment," before collapsing drooling and exhausted in the mud. The Doctor, lacking a bed, had painstakingly constructed a cloth tent under which he curled up in an uncomfortable slumber occasionally brushing his clothes off unconsciously.

Cap'n Blunderbooze did his best to slap together something like a bed while Crazyteddles worked on the palisade up on upper slopes. After the beds were finished he moved to chairs and then tables. His products would have been called fine for any human home but to the eye of a dwarf they looked both malformed and uncertain of themselves.

Afterwards, he turned his attention to the mud in the farming zone and set to ploughing it into something workable.

All the while thoughts of the bumblebee colonies outside dominated his thoughts.

The food was brought inside to ensure it's safety from rodents. The doctor insisted on this. All seven did their best to haul it in except for Powder Building Designer. He was too busy sketching up plans for a depot to receive the caravan they'd been promised. Blunderbooze drafted Mipe, who was at a loss for what to do in the absence of stone to mine, for planting sweet pods with the intent of getting some fresh booze flowing. Stocks weren't getting any more full at the rate they were going.

"You mind diggin' in the dirt, Mipe?"

"It's my job," she shrugged.

By the end of Spring, the burgeoning fort had an initial shape but its progress was encumbered by the presence of groundwater beneath them. Nearby the river continued to gurgle and flow. Fish of all kinds could be seen leaping in its waters, including the rather conspicuous clown loach.

THE FORT AS IT STANDS

You guys have a dormitory with seven beds, a dining room with five tables and five chairs, four farm plots with seasonal plants, a kitchen, still, farmers shop, butcher shop, tanner's shop, a food stockpile, a carpentry zone, a palisade that is currently being expanded to fit our two yaks, an entryway, an empty barracks, a depot which was constructed right after this screenshot, a mason's workshop with no stone to work in it, and most annoying of all an aquifer right underneath you, one Z-level down. You have easy beehives, tons of fish to fish for, and tons of clay . . . but no stone yet.

Okay! Next season's orders! Come at me, Urists!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:43:54 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

Can I join?

Name: dhokarena56
Profession: Gem Setter, Broker. Choose somebody who's a little bit introverted.

I am already a Gem Setter and Broker, please choose something else.

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile

I might be too late to the party, but I'd like to join. Here's my dwarf.

Name: IpunchFaces
Profession: Soldier, with no weapons equipped other than his fists, but he will actively search for the best armour available and equip it before anyone else can get to it. He's a Berserker dwarf, that means he will charge at anything nearby that looks even remotely hostile, animals included.

Bio/ History.: Once a bouncer of the local mountain-home pub, this gruff brute of a dwarf follows two very simple rules:
1) If it looks at you funny, punch it.
2) If it didn't stop moving, punch it harder.

Army life made him add a third fundamental rule:

3) If the enemies have more friends with him than you have fingers in one hand; call some friends. Then refer to rule number one.

These rules served him well in the deep caverns under the fortress, at where he was usually set on patrol. He had no problem subduing whatever he came across; spiders, serpents, and even on occasion having the opportunity to patrol the surface of the world, and punch the teeth out of vile (see:unfortunate) "adventurers" that happened to stumble across the fortress walls.

Then, one day he came across a troglodyte encampment. He knew this was the perfect chance to break some bones AND to protect the fortress at the same time, which was something that was quickly becoming sort of a rarity. So with another swig of his ale-flask, he charged headfirst into the throng of surprised troglodytes, his vision clouded by alcohol-induced rage. After a few satisfying and bloody minutes, he began to notice something odd;

One, These troglodytes knew his name and were speaking dwarven;

Two, One of the troglodytes in the group looked oddly like his uncle.

In a few minutes he would discover that yes, those were dwarves. And yes, that was his uncle.

And so, according the the infinite wisdom of the Dwarven Council, he was to be stripped of his Mountain-Home citizentry, and to be exiled. He was to immediately migrate to another home; be it hall, hut, or hovel. And he was to stay there.

Forever.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48