Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77705 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

As a representative of the Tongs and Tapper guild, I support this fort's lovely embark. :)

Wait, am I trustworthy guild? Are we all meant to have abandoned the others or whatever? I dunno, I skimread the background lol. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

As a representative of the Tongs and Tapper guild, I support this fort's lovely embark. :)

Wait, am I trustworthy guild? Are we all meant to have abandoned the others or whatever? I dunno, I skimread the background lol. :P

Don't fret about it, it's just flavortext. All the guilds are just the way dwarf society is organized, and this fort is an attempt to found a new guild with mixed professions and honest intent. All anyone involved with the fort needs to know is that the guild nobility hate you guys for trying to be separatist. Any member of the fort can still feel a loyalty to their old guild without immediate suspicion, since everyone with skills has to be a member and thus all types of people are in them. The leaders of the guilds are the bad guys who don't want their power undermined by separatists.

Seems like people are fine with the embark, so feel free to give me your orders for the season.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

Ah ok. Then I shall form a new branch of metal workers guild here in this new fortress. :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Ah ok. Then I shall form a new branch of metal workers guild here in this new fortress. :)

Actually I just tweaked the history to make it more interesting: you're not separatists per se, but actual guild members who have gotten together to attempt to prove that the various guilds can operate in harmony without underhandedness and deceit.

This means that you can still take the attitude of "I proudly represent X guild" and even openly state that you like or dislike anyone else for their affiliation as long as you don't sabotage their efforts to prosper. The fort is a collaborative effort on behalf of anyone interested in trying to show that the guilds can work together without being at war. Alas, the old guilds' greed won't change how they operate.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

Marching for long days along with six other dwarves, a wooden wagon and some animals was not an easy feat for the good doctor.
It was quite some way from the ease he was used to, and all that was starting to take a toll on him.
Would he really make it all the way? What else could he do, turn away? No. They were already way too far for that.
And what would he do if he went back? No way. He wanted to go on.
Better be someone in a small settlement, then a nobody in the huge city.

He found escape and comfort by diving in his mind, imagining things and dreaming.
His favorite flight was making plans for our settlement clean fortress, and that he did!
Days after days he refined his plans, and how he would convince the group to follow them.
And how to achieve this? By giving them what they wanted, which is comfort, from his own point of view.

After scribbling his blueprints over a few nights of little sleep, here is what he wanted:

Legend

• A  -> Armor Stand
  • R  -> Weapon Rack
  • H  -> Coffer
  • D  -> Door
  • ds -> Downstairs
  • us -> Upstairs
  • xs -> Up/Down stairs
  • B  -> Bed
  • F  -> Cabinet
  • T  -> Table
  • C  -> Chair
  • U  -> Statue

Preliminary draft
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Detailed blueprints - wagon level

Detailed blueprints - wagon level +1 (downward)

Notes
- The first step will be to dig out the barrack and the food storage, then move all the food and drinks there for preservation.
- The second step will be to dig the farm and get someone to start planting.
- Then we let the miners dig the rest as they see fit. It should be mosly all in soil for digging will soon be done.
- Each floor of the bedroom tower have eight rooms, one layer will be enought at the start. We may need to expand upward rather then downward because of the aquifer.
- The bedrooms tower can be expanded in both vertical directions, by digging downward and building a tower upward using stoneblocks
- Humble noble rooms can follow this variation

There was one only about a day before they reached the site. Doc Valrandir used this precious time to make part of his plans with the other dwarves.
The two miners, Stiric and mipe9 seemed too passively to listen to the doctor urgings, but he feared they might end up ignoring it all when the times to strike the earth come. We shall see.
Stiric would also be much needed for all the masonry crafting required. There are many doors and other rock furniture to be built, and the higher the quality the better. Doc Valrandir even offered him to borrow his pick and do some of the mining, if the Stiric would rather focus on Masonry.
Yet another dwarf naming himself ‘Powder Building Designer’ knew some of the destination geology and argued that any rock furniture could have to wait because that there might be an aquifer in the way.

This is what Val will be doing
On this first season, Doc Valrandir will be overseing the realization of his blueprints, helping with whatever task is needed toward their completion.

OOC
What do you think of the blueprints for the initial design?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:45:13 pm by Valrandir »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

I'm keeping the embark. It's time to play! I need orders from the first seven dwarves on how they're going to start the fort off and set the table for the incoming migrants.

I'll have to play pretty slowly to make sure I note down everything happening in-game. It'll be important for everyone to know exactly what is going on and what the fort looks like, who is up to what and so on. Feel free to ask questions. I'll tell you anything your dwarf would know according to where they've been hanging out and what behaviours they've had.

For everyone playing, I consider it your GM-given right to request screenshots of any thing or place your dwarf is working on. It will likely be necessary for proper planning. This goes for everyone.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:05:25 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Will you be uploading maps to the DFMA on occasion?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Will you be uploading maps to the DFMA on occasion?

Sure, if someone tells me how! This may help discover hidden sabotage, although it won't tell anyone who has been planning the sabotage.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:06:26 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh well, was kinda looking forward to an ocean embark, but no worries.

Either way, am I on the to be dwarfed list yet? I know I'm probably a migration or two away still.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feel free to use CrazyTeddles as you like for now - he isn't an unreasonable dwarf, and knows that goblins won't be here for a while, though I posted a few pages back on general behaviour. When you feel you can spare him, Teddles would like to build a small, 2 z-level tower (preferably circular) by the fortress entrance, with the entrance to the tower leading to the inside of the fortress (so the tower cannot be accessed from outside the fortress). The tower will be his home and barracks. Once we start catching goblins in cage traps, the tower will become CrazyTeddles's Tower of Fun - the edges of the upper levels (I may decide to add more) will be lined with (naked, unarmed) goblin cages attached to a lever on the bottom floor of the tower. Teddles will pull the lever and kill the goblins as they try to escape.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

oh well, was kinda looking forward to an ocean embark, but no worries.

Either way, am I on the to be dwarfed list yet? I know I'm probably a migration or two away still.

Gotcha. Slow GM is slow.

Feel free to use CrazyTeddles as you like for now

I will do just that. As soon as I've got everyone's orders I'll have him helping arrange the farms and basic necessities for self-sufficiency and then he'll get his tower on.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mind if i throw a dwarf in?

Name - Spera
Gender - female
Skills - marksdwarf, bowyer and maybe train a little hammerman into her some time. (and maybe a crafting skill if there is nobody else capable of making bolts)

Bio/Charicter - Spera loves crossbows, from the day her father first made her one onwards, she has been shooting just about anything she can find just for fun. She also learned how to make her own from long days spent repairing her own. Hearing of a new fortress going up, she decided to migrate there and ply her trade, olny to have a run-in with an enraged elephant. after which she was left without her trusty crossbow, and ended up joining a group of migrants to the same place.

Tendancies - She builds crossbows in her spare time And besides that, she is usually busieing herself with shooting things, although she will usually chicken out if she sees that she is outnumbered or has the odds stacked against her too highly. She also perfers to pick her used bolts back up after the coast is clear.

Also, When she hits legendary in marksdwafship, can you make her job title sniper?  :P
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

mind if i throw a dwarf in?

Name - Spera
Gender - female
Skills - marksdwarf, bowyer and maybe train a little hammerman into her some time. (and maybe a crafting skill if there is nobody else capable of making bolts)

Bio/Charicter - Spera loves crossbows, from the day her father first made her one onwards, she has been shooting just about anything she can find just for fun. She also learned how to make her own from long days spent repairing her own. Hearing of a new fortress going up, she decided to migrate there and ply her trade, olny to have a run-in with an enraged elephant. after which she was left without her trusty crossbow, and ended up joining a group of migrants to the same place.

Tendancies - She builds crossbows in her spare time And besides that, she is usually busieing herself with shooting things, although she will usually chicken out if she sees that she is outnumbered or has the odds stacked against her too highly. She also perfers to pick her used bolts back up after the coast is clear.

Also, When she hits legendary in marksdwafship, can you make her job title sniper?  :P

Oh man, once this gets rolling there's going to be so much going on in every single post.

I'll add you right now.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile

Am i on the list for dwarfing? just my post was near the end of the page so may have been unseen
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48