Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77681 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

It would be good to have
- surface water available (either an aquifer or a brook / stream / river)
- a completely flat embart

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

The world is utterly dominated by an evil mountain range, or series of mountain ranges I suppose. Dwarven society only exists in the cold south and is limited to two little civs: one on the penninsula as you can see there, and one to the east near that volcano. Otherwise there's two imposingly huge gobbo civs. The one near us is named The Spidery Scorpion. Humans dominate the world, including all Elven land, so it's a bit Tolkien-esque if you can imagine Mordor as a mountain range and split into two factions.

I'm going to post three embark locations I found that seemed good. Vote on which one you want and once we've got something like consensus I'll embark and we'll be cooking with coke.

EMBARK OPTION 1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EMBARK OPTION 2:

EMBARK OPTION 3:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:10:14 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, can I also have mechanics active? I need to set traps.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

We'll go for the ocean then, make things interesting. Shame about the lack of clay, also what mineral settings do we have? Despite it being 'cheaty' I always play with the most minerals. Until trading improves, being stuck with one mineral sucks.

What are the chances of our Shallow and Deeps being...

1. Shallow, cobaltite.
2. Deeps, cinnabar, then... galena? -.- :P

EDIT: Another interesting point.
Apprentices become more important than Urists, what happens if one of our characters develops a relationship with Urist...? :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:03:07 pm by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

We'll go for the ocean then, make things interesting. Shame about the lack of clay, also what mineral settings do we have? Despite it being 'cheaty' I always play with the most minerals. Until trading improves, being stuck with one mineral sucks.

What are the chances of our Shallow and Deeps being...

1. Shallow, cobaltite.
2. Deeps, cinnabar, then... galena? -.- :P

I have no idea! We may be clubbing gobbos with sticks for all I know. I hope we can at least churn out some iron weaponry.

The third embark is right in the middle of three biomes: the land-based ones have clay in abundance and the ocean biome itself sports the various metals and flux. I don't know how deep we'll have to dig for them though.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile

Im stuck between the first option (superclose to the gobos!) or the third option.

hmm..
As much as I'd like acess to all civs I think I'll vote the first. Simply because I"d hate to see the fort die an early fps death.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It depends, some of the embarks are over multiple biomes that might have different metals. For example, the first option has two biomes but the one we can see only has two metals (could be garnierite and kimberlite). What do the other biomes have regarding metals? I'd like to embark on the one with most possibilities.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

I would've voted for 3, but there's no clay (as far as I can tell, maybe the land has some).
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Number 1. I want my alder logs! (Powder Building Designer loves them)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You seem to be missing the most vital of all dwarves...

The Soap Maker!

Allow me, Vabok McSoaper, to offer my services. Cleanliness is next to dwarfiness, after all :D I am shocked at the number of forts that never have this vital, precious substance. We can start an export business!

Oh, and 1 seems to be the better embark. Not much to choose between that and 2, but they're both much better than 3 which has no trees and not much soil either.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

You seem to be missing the most vital of all dwarves...

The Soap Maker!

Allow me, Vabok McSoaper, to offer my services. Cleanliness is next to dwarfiness, after all :D I am shocked at the number of forts that never have this vital, precious substance. We can start an export business!

Oh, and 1 seems to be the better embark. Not much to choose between that and 2, but they're both much better than 3 which has no trees and not much soil either.

Doc Valrandir:
I ♥ you Vabok McSoaper.
Together we can ensure the cleanness of our new home.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

I voted for Embark Option 3 for the following reasons
- Embark 1 and 2 have an aquifer along with Very Deep Soil, which likely means triple layers aquifer or worse.
- Embark 3 have 3 biomes and so more chances of good metal.

Too bad for the lack of wood, we will have to engineer some tree farms, although the caravans should bring plenty of logs.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Let me, er, clarify the third embark: it has three biomes in it. Two of them are thick forest biomes and the other one is an ocean biome. It has everything except for clay.

This all might be moot anyway if I find a perfect embark elsewhere since I'm planning to sniff around the map a little bit more, but I wanted to see what people thought would work best for us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:13:00 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I wish to join in this madness:

Urist Imiknorris, Mad Genius
Skills:
Mechanics
Architecture

Basically, the stereotypical mad scientist.

I vote for Site #3.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Bingo.

No aquifer, but it's got everything else we could ask for. Embark number 3 won, so now I'm putting it to a vote between this one and the one sans aquifer.

When I wake up tomorrow, whichever has more votes is the location and we're starting. So vote again!

I've gotten enough requests for traitors for now so consider that closed I've got room for another traitor or two. I'm jotting down the backstory notes right now, some noise about rival guilds in a greedy, backstabbing, self-obsessed dwarf civilization. Should add some flavor!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:11:50 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48