Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77677 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

I am really looking forward to this.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Blasty
Proffesion: Animal Trainer/Caretaker
After being kicked out from the Mountainhomes when his pet 'Fluffy' killed several dwarfs, he decided to come here to make the biggest animal army the world has ever seen.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mafia style Dwarf Fortress game ? So awesome !

Name: Bayar
Profession: Urist, until he decides what career to persue. (preferably already has some ambushing skill)
Personality: Likes Glass items.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

So many little masters already.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

All right, it's going to work like this: the first seven posters are going to be the initial embarkers and then everyone else will flood in on the migrant waves. I've actually got a pretty low traitor-to-loyal dorf ratio right now so if you're thinking of applying for the position do not hesitate.

I'm going to gen the world either today or tomorrow and post the results so that people can lobby for embark points.

It looks like we're low on farmers, but I think having the Urists do the general planting and harvesting grunt-work will ensure that they don't get too lazy. I want the dorfed members to have more time to focus on their own specific skills and goals rather than be distracted by stuff that should be getting taken care of like sheep-shearing and uprooting plump helmets. Character specific events are always more interesting anyway.

I'm going to do my best to maintain a minimum level of survival. That means that if an FB shows up and nobody gave me instructions on how to deal with it, the Urists will go forth to try and handle the problem any way they can. If there's an invasion and we have no military, the Urists will seal the entrance until everyone is informed of what is going on. This way everyone can react to in-game randomness properly rather than being railroaded by happenstance, since you can't tell me what to do in real-time.

Since we have a lot of masons and architects, may I suggest some construction mega/miniprojects? Never boring to find out someone made the Urists connect the whole thing to a single support and a lever!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:33:05 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

This is going to be fun. Can we speed up the Gen and Embark? I mean, we've got a good number of people and it's ok if more join in later. I want to get going! :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Call me crazy, but as a first post, I'd like to be dorfed in.

Dorna, female dwarf.
Profession: Mechanic.  May have side abilities in architecture and mining.
Personality: Fairly friendly and a bit cheeky, with a bit of a mouth on her.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

For the world gen I suggest
- One cavern layer
- 10 levels between each layers, but leave the last two layers at default
- 80 levels above ground

This would give us plenty of sky to build upward, and also ensure that we can design our fortress underground without hitting the cavern too soon.

Having only one cavern layer will make it have the features of all three cavern layers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:29:06 am by Valrandir »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

I'm in.

Dorf Name: Jacen
Proffesion: Speardwarf/Mason
Personality: Plays by the book.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

This is going to be fun. Can we speed up the Gen and Embark? I mean, we've got a good number of people and it's ok if more join in later. I want to get going! :P

I'm feelin' it, the response has been very favorable. I'll worldgen tonight and post the results so that I can get to playing ASAP.

For the world gen I suggest
- One cavern layer
- 10 levels between each layers, but leave the last two layers at default
- 80 levels above ground

This would give us plenty of sky to build upward, and also ensure that we can design our fortress underground without hitting the cavern too soon.

Having only one cavern layer will make it have the features of all three cavern layers.

I like the idea of having one cavern layer, "The Caverns." Nice and foreboding. 80 levels above ground should be pleeeeeeeeeeeenty.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:39:12 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

If you're messing with world gen cavern settings, tweak the openess too. I like big wide open caves, not those silly little passages you get. And make sure there's at least some water in the cavern, so you get fungus etc.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to flesh out CrazyTeddles a bit:

Teddles loves killing goblins; if a thief or two appear on the map, he's off like a shot to take them down. But he isn't suicidal, he knows that sometimes larger groups of goblins are best left for another day when backup is available. Teddles also loves things which kill goblins, and likes to take war animals around with him (not boring animals like dogs, we're talking tigers, alligators and the like). In order to facilitate the killing of goblins, Teddles will make two things:

1) A small, two-storey residence by the entrance to the fort to enable him to spot goblins and hopefully cut off thieves' escape
2) A small pit in which captured goblins can be fed to him one at a time.

And before the large spring migration wave (or whenever you're free to spare him) feel free to use CrazyTeddles as an Urist. There's generally not much need for a military in the first year.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

If you're messing with world gen cavern settings, tweak the openess too. I like big wide open caves, not those silly little passages you get. And make sure there's at least some water in the cavern, so you get fungus etc.

This wiki page explains it with screenshots.
Wiki Link Advanced World Generation

I too would suggest Openness of 100 and Density of 0.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:28:51 pm by Valrandir »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

I cooked up my world_gen.txt in PerfectWorldDF just now: 1 zero-density high-openness cavern layer with a minimum of 45 water, got 80 Zs over ground-level, boosted the titan count for fun, made an evil desert in the south, gave us 800 years of history and for everything else just hit the buttons once. I'm downloading the new version now and once I've genned the region I'll post some caps of it.

I'm still not sure what criteria to base the embark on but I'm probably going to go for some high metal count woodlands in the wilds.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

Gen high metals, get some thick wood, maybe flux too, sand and clay, all that would be nice, a sort of perfect 'everything you need' embark. Then an aquifer, savage lands, and with gobbos nearby, for 'fun'. XD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48