Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77727 times)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #570 on: May 03, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »

My orders require a map of the caverns. Suffice to say I'll be requesting the help of a mason and a weaponsmith.
Glad I'm not the only one.  Perhaps we can work together on cavern plans, depending on what you had planned.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 03, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »

Awesome, I'm not sure if the croc was caught or not? If so, I'd like to claim it before someone uses it for military practice. And put it up inside the cage in the cave area Aqua is designating.

Also, now that we have metal, I'd like to repeat my request for breastplate, helm, shield. Iron or better if possible.

Other than that, no accusations as yet, maybe a bit of a raised eyebrow at the so called 'criminal' for silly mandates, but I don't think that makes the Mayor a traitor.

Training schedule should be the same, 2 months on, 1 month off. Fishing the only action during the off month. And I'd like to join in on the captured goblin beatings as well during my training months.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 03, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »

I very much prefer to work with natural stone, but if something really needs to be constructed instead of carved, I rather that blocks be used instead of unpolished stone

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »

Awesome, I'm not sure if the croc was caught or not? If so, I'd like to claim it before someone uses it for military practice. And put it up inside the cage in the cave area Aqua is designating.

Bosa the cave croc was indeed captured, and it would make a fine trophy for something like "Aqua's Zoo of Amphibious & Otherwise Water-related Animals."

It's not easy to accuse people of being traitors when there's no detailed evidence so I will answer questions regarding what various dwarves have seen and done over the seasons. Mind you, the info won't be very good because I've had a lot to keep track of but I've tried to keep in mind where everyone is in general and what they've been focusing on.

A FEW THINGS I REALLY SHOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW: Once we have a Captain and he's giving me patrol routes for his underlings, there'll be one guy who will know a lot about dwarf movement. The Captain of the Guard, whoever this person is, can set up patrols and burrows for his apprentice guards to watch. Those zones, since the dwarves assigned to them are assumed to be putting 100% of their focus on watching other dwarves, will have ALL activity within them relayed back to the captain. These burrows may not interfere with other dwarf burrows unless the Captain wants to be an oppressive and intrusive jerk. Of course, oppressive and intrusive jerkery might be what's necessary to save the fort from certain doom.

Dwarves can declare certain doors "locked" meaning that I will have those doors fully forbidden except when necessary and other dwarves may not walk about inside willy-nilly. Workspaces or bedrooms, for example, may be deemed "on lockdown."  This doesn't mean nobody can de-construct the door, or sneak their way in by finding a labour-related excuse, or mine their way in, or collapse a ceiling right on the other side of that door, but it does mean that any dwarf that interferes with that space unauthorized will be mentioned as a trespasser in the thread (if anyone is around to see them intrude, such as a lookout or guard) and may need to explain themselves. For high-traffic workshops, such as Lekza's dyeing zone, this is obviously not possible. She'll have to rely 100% on watchdog apprentices unless she wants to make her own workspace self-sufficient with its own bedrooms, food plots, etc and then lock the doors. The soap-making workshop, being pretty low-traffic, could be considered locked down without too much trouble as long as I remember to let URISTs in from time to time to dump some food in there or just let Besmar out to eat and drink.

Any dwarf can set up any number of burrows related to their labours or projects and assign any number of apprentices as watchdogs for those burrows. The trade-off is that those apprentices don't do any real "work" nor gain in skill (except for social skills), but you get total info about anything that happens in those areas. Hauling is considered "work" and the apprentice won't be as observant while doing it, thus I'll provide fewer details.

Hooray for looking like I'm making up the rules as I go! But seriously folks: I want to make sure everyone knows what's allowed and what isn't. What is allowed is, well, a lot of things. What isn't allowed, in general, is knowing more than your dwarf reasonably should via gossipy word-of-mouth or your dorf being in eyesight/earshot of something happening when it happens. Since this fort isn't implicitly one of those "everyone's happy get along great" forts, stepping on each others' toes isn't forbidden by me. It'll probably just make other players dislike you.

And also around now is when turns will start to take longer for me to complete. I'm going to begin playing the game much more slowly and deliberately, taking notes on which dwarves are where, in order to give people as much info as possible about dwarf interactions and locations. I mean, I'll try.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:46:55 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »

Weaponsmith at ye service!
Glad I'm not the only one.  Perhaps we can work together on cavern plans, depending on what you had planned.
I'm planning a smallish hall of traps, mostly weapon traps, but with a single row of cage traps to catch any interesting solitary creatures.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 03, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »

How many untrained dogs are there?

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 03, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »

Weaponsmith at ye service!
I'm planning a smallish hall of traps, mostly weapon traps, but with a single row of cage traps to catch any interesting solitary creatures.
Works similar to my plan, which will be to build a sort of small mini-fort in the caverns, perhaps located somewhere that can be easily walled-off and secured.  In fact the place the main stairwell broke through looks like a decent lake-front spot, we'll just need a map to better find how to build it and how big to make the courtyard.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 03, 2011, 04:58:51 pm »

If Rev's workshop area is built, can I get a screenshot of it?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 03, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »

Actually, I'd like to change my mind about Iden and my new workshop area. Don't bother, it'll take too much work.
Anyway, there isn't enough evidence or anything to incriminate anyone, so no vote here yet.
But those poor beds...  :'(
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 03, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »

"T-traitor? How would I know who t-the t-traitor is? I've been c-cooped up down here c-carving stone b-blocks."

"I'm not worrying about who the t-traitor is. I've just b-been having some nightmares. B-been ruining my sleep. You'd t-think t-that making b-blocks day in and day out would put me out like t-that. I've c-certainly felt like t-that every t-time I go to b-bed, b-but t-then the nightmare pops up and I'm left lying awake half the night."

"No, I don't remember what the nightmare is. I should probably go see a doctor or something, b-but as far as I know, we've got no head doctors here in the fort. Real shame."

"Yeah, I b-best b-be off t-too. I've got more stone b-blocks to c-carve out."

(Orders remain the same. Also, tell me when Babalos turns legendary, okay?)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 03, 2011, 07:35:13 pm »

PBD shrugged at Dorna's suggestion. "IT does kind of make sense, but we should confirm before we kill anyone. Killing random dwarves wouldn't be good for the fortress." HE turned to a Urist and handed it an architectural drawing. "Follow these."

I want walla and a ceiling on my spire. Leave two gaps in the walls, a 2 dorf wide in the middle of the east, and a 1 dorf wide on the west. Start constructing a tower like my other ones, seperated, to the east, and connect a drawbridge to the east gap from it.

I WILL HAVE MY INVINCIBLE SKY FORTRESS.
Edit: Oh yeah. Once the drawbridge to th espire with entrance "support" is done, seal off the four supports so noone can get in by them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:39:54 pm by Powder Miner »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »

I haven't been around long enough to draw any conclusions as to who is the traitor, so no accusations as of yet.

Captain of the Guard Election Speech

Unibot climbs onto a table in the dining hall and begins his speech.

"Noble dwarfs of The Hills of Deceivers, When i am elected to the position of Captain of the Guard I promise to use whatever means are at my disposal to not only punish criminals, but to make sure they do not get a chance to preform their dastardly deeds in the first place. First and foremost a jail WILL be built to make an example of all who would defy our laws. Secondly, Fortress wide patrols will be instated to provide maximum security to the citizens of this fine establishment. Lastly, as Captain of the Guard i promise to hold EVERYONE accountable for their actions, including myself and my underlings."

Unibot climbs down from the table and awaits to hear from the next candidate.

Orders for Next Season

I'm putting in a request for a warhammer to be forged immediately, preferably of a denser material (silver, gold, platinum)
I'm also requesting a full set of metal plate armor + shield, copper is fine for now but upgrade to iron/steel/cotton candy ASAP

Training will be 2 months on 1 month off, unless elected to position of Captain of the Guard then military schedule will be 2 months Patrolling and 1 month Training(no down time, patrol route to be determined upon election)

and it would be appreciated if i could be a part of the "processing" of the captured goblins
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:25:05 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 03, 2011, 09:33:54 pm »

I'm putting in a request for a warhammer to be forged immediately, preferably of a denser material (silver, gold, platinum)
I'm also requesting a full set of metal plate armor + shield, copper is fine for now but upgrade to iron/steel/cotton candy ASAP

and it would be appreciated if i could be a part of the "processing" of the captured goblins

I can try giving you a crossbow minus the ammo for training since it's the closest thing around to a training hammer. We have silver for all of your hammering needs but we're metal thirsty at the moment and in dire need of discovering a magical vein of magnetite or hematite.

Oh, that reminds me: someone should tell me what to do with the 4 bars of steel we have. We need to make the most efficient use of those possible.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:49 pm »

let's not leave out that lovely yellow limonite! and i can imagine you can spare 2 lumps of charcoal for the production of a warhammer. (all weapons take 1 bar of material to create right?)
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:59 pm »

"Charcoal!", exclaimed Gordy to noone in particular. Now glassmaking could begin. It was either that or cheese making, his other love. There was nothing like turning solids into liquids and back again, he thought, except cows turned grass into milk and then on to cheese. "That's why raw glass is green," he said brightly to a nearby Urist.

Make raw green glass until sand consumed, collect more sand and ensure bag production continues. Craft 4 green glass blocks and corkscrews. Do we need glass tubes or pipes for pumps? Otherwise continue green glass production and blocks for walls and floors. No accusation.

Edit- autocorrect is dumb
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:22:59 pm by gordy »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48