Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77819 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »

I'll find you a dorf as soon as one is available. There's a very nice hunting dwarf from the latest migration wave if you're interested!

I will take hunting dwarf.

Agh, sorry, hunter's a woman. Let me know if that works or if you'd like to wait.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »

Stones! Excellenet™
Soon, I won't have sand in my boots!

After your next update;
Could you please, please post the fortress to dfma?
The instructions are here

This would allow everyone to see all corners of the fort to better post their next actions.

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »

I will take hunting dwarf.

Agh, sorry, hunter's a woman. Let me know if that works or if you'd like to wait.

I will wait unless you have an extra unskilled dwarf.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »

1002U - Winter thru 1003 - Spring

Dwarves sat everywhere: on the chairs, on the floors, on the tables. Some lingered in the halls chatting idly with one another. The atmosphere was crowded, cramped and yet congenial. Steaming piles of roast elephant sat piled on the newly installed tables. Many grumbled about having to eat standing up or sitting on the floor.

Conversation abounded:

"I didn't come here to sit in the mud."
 "Who designed this dining room, gnomes? Haww!"
 "I'm partial to mica, myself, for mugs and common jewelry. Others prefer jade or microcline."
 "Y'call this dwarven wine? I'll tell ye what you can call it in writing and it don't start with a flattering rune."

Doctor Valrandir stood up on his cloth-covered stool and clapped his hands three times. The sound hushed the crowd to murmurs and whispers as all eyes turned towards him. Every dwarf with a name to himself stood in attendance. Babalos stood chewing his lips with excitement and impatience. While they stood around in meetings stone lay beneath them for the claiming and shaping. Stiric and Mipe sat with their heads on their respective tables, half-asleep and exhausted from the exertion of working the soil. CrazyTeddles stood beside them getting a second helping of elephant eye. Greymist and Dorna had brought their work with them to the meeting, working the surfaces of some mechanisms down slowly and carefully to a perfect smoothness. In one corner Spera, Johnny Digs and Bayar had stopped their game of Yukon Yak Knuckles to pay closer attention. PBD sat beside Valrandir, no longer sketching and seeming to pay close attention to the crowd.

From the privacy of a far hallway, out of sight but still in earshot, EmperorJon leaned against a wall. He and the doc hadn't been seeing eye-to-eye with all of the plans thus far. A year was a long time to breach a single layer of aquifer. He pondered the possibilities behind the delays: could Valrandir have been purposefully holding off on construction for some reason? Then again, it wasn't his fault. He had simply drawn up the plans. The miners Stiric and Mipe both were members of the Delvers. Could they, perhaps, have had some agenda? Maybe he was just letting memories of dealing with guild politics get to him. It troubled him that he was troubled as he was, and was certain that others may feel the same.

Their independence and prosperity felt like a cleansing breeze, but fair winds always brought a change in the weather. It was certain that the old guilds would try to interfere with their livelihood. The question on everyone's mind was not if, but when.

"I've called this meeting for two purposes," Valrandir began, "The first is to celebrate the breaching of the aquifer."

A chorus of drunken and triumphant shouts resounded in the room. Valrandir covered his face with his handkerchief until they subsided.

" . . . yes. A fine thing to, ah, celebrate. Now, the second reason is that in the efforts we've taken to breach the aquifer we've had a lot of changes. We're 38 in total now and we don't even have suitable bedchambers for a single one of us. We're still sleeping in a filthy . . . annex. A mud annex. There's much to do. So much, in fact, that I'm calling for a revision of our labour departments and our personal goals in favour of our respective trades."

All nodded in understanding.

"I'll begin by reviewing the events of the last two seasons and then giving a general overview of our situation."

Spera was discovering just how fast one could produce masterpieces of craftsmanship. In sight of the depot where the merchants stood spitting and rubbing their fat bellies she carved both and earring and a bracelet. Speaking in hushed tones she plopped them into the hand of a passer by and said "Take these to the depot, but make sure it looked like we brought them out of the entrance."

"See?" Valrandir held up the earring holding the shoddily sanded side towards his face, "Fine, nay, better than any elven woodcrafter might produce. I'll toss it in at a steal for ten."

The merchant adjusted his Silvertongue guild badge and snorted at the sight of it, causing mucous to fly out of his nose and plop onto a bag of dimple cup spawn.

"Lots of rain on the way?" Valrandir managed, trying to be subtle about keeping his distance from the clearly diseased merchant. The fat slob coughed a wet cough into his hand, wiped it on his guild robes and shook his head.

"Weather was decent enough. Dunno how I caught it. Have any nasty beasts attack yet?"

" . . . no."

"Skinless marmot was hiding in the caverns underneath our forges. Clawed its way all through the halls to the sleeping area. Had a nasty case of dandruff, been coughin' up phlegm ever since. Just happened a couple days ago."

"Oh . . . my. Terrible, just . . . awful. Are you satisfied? Everything square? The booze, the food and and the cloth, please. Not to rush you, of course, but we're quite busy here."

Valrandir ordered several spare citizens to haul the goods in and forced them to wash their hands afterwards. He was not sorry to see them go. Before leaving the liaison handed him a sheaf describing their needs for the following year. Val demanded more booze, some cheeses, steel bars, gypsum and a less contagious merchant team.

Meanwhile, Stiric had some issues when carving out the aquifer project.

His grandfather had told him tales of the terror that elephants once were, in a more ancient time when nature fought against dwarf scale and tusk. Stiric had avoided it, expecting an attack. However, it fled from him without violence.

It was time for them to commence with Valrandir's plan. In preparation all dwarves were diverted from the area to the farming zone. Bayar elected himself for triggering the collapse.

"Here goes nothing."

*THUD*

Some of the immigrants stayed behind to put everything back on the shelves while Stiric and Mipe went in to survey. The ring had fallen cleanly, cutting right through the sand and splashing enough water across the place to fill a small pond. They set to work digging out the watterlogged soil within the ring while Dorna and Greymist got to work turning some of the recently discovered sandstone into workable parts.

PBD brought it upon himself to throw a party for the occasion. Everyone was invited.

And far more showed up than anyone expected.

21 guild members had arrived from the mountainhomes, amongst them new names to be known.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"The twenty-one now among us. One of whom brought to our tables the fine prepared elephant that you've been feasting on."

"Thank you, Ineth, for fixing any concerns we may have had about going hungry."

Ineth simply nodded.

"We're still looking for a solution to Kadol's melancholy," Valrandir said, gesturing towards a dwarf huddling in the corner with his face buried in his hands muttering to himself.

"Thus far a loom and a screw press have not been sufficient for ending his woes."

"The draining of the aquifer is complete. The miners' fantastically positioned side-grate for drainage worked wonders."

"Now, we must turn our attention to a general fort overview. I'll begin with-"

"Hey," shouted Spera, "There's elves standing around on the depot."

"So? They love the outdoors," said the doc with a wave of his hand, "If we're lucky they won't set up tents. In any case, here's where we stand right now. I've been spending my time, as you've all seen, indoors at these very tables drafting up topographical sketches for this very meeting based on the reports of the palisade labourers."

He held up the first one:

"A general overview of the fort at present. This speaks for itself."

"We've delegated individual zones for each grazing animal. There's more than enough grass. Each plot could likely fit two or three animals, but we've enough space for luxury at present."

"Now that the aquifer has been breached, we can spend more time focusing on EmperorJon's desire for defences. The palisade has been constructed fully to the north and the east, with all slopes around key points removed to prevent invaders from mounting the wall."

EmperorJon exited the tunnel and watched Valrandir from behind, mumbling to himself, "Priorities, eh? Good work, Doctor Val."

"However, the western hills pose a challenge. The slopes are steep and walls build upon such slopes are a difficult task. I've drawn out a crude overview of the western hillsides so that all interested could assist in planning how to secure it. They're within this sheaf, clearly marked, for any to view after the meeting has adjourned."

"If we build too close to the river, invaders will be able to fire down upon us. Building on the hills will require significant work. Either way, we must ensure that the project is completed in a timely manner without conflicting with future stonework. As for matters within the farm production zone, we have a few issues to deal with."

Valrandir began pointing in various directions as he spoke, "The dormitory is no longer sufficient for our population, all can agree to this. Bedchambers will have to be carved sooner than later. The farms lack proper storage: at present, the future barracks is our stockpiling zone and this cannot remain so. Defence will be an important matter as we continue to prosper."

"Ah," said EmperorJon, "Now yer concerned with fortress defence, eh?"

Valrandir paused to regard him, "It's always a concern. Now that important matters have been dealt with, it can be our focus. I assume you're unsatisfied with its timeliness?"

"No, not at all, commander-in-chief. Not in the least. Go on, lead. I'll be in the dormitory, practising my hammer swingin' arm for the day we have a forge to our name."

He exited. After a brief pause, the doctor continued.

"On a personal note, I'd like something to be done about these dogs. They're a ringworm infection waiting to happen. Anyway, onto the next sketch. This next matter is important: stone. We now have access. The aquifer area is having a wall constructed within the pit in order to ensure that no leaks or accidents occur due to clumsy mining. We must decide how to construct within the stone itself: where to place the masonry shops, the machine shops, in which direction and layer to dig for metals and so on."

"So, let me summarize what I believe, as overseer, to be the most important points of note for the coming year:

1. Commence with mining.
 2. Finish the palisade.
 3. Organize the farming area.
 4. Build housing.
 5. Prepare trade goods for next year's caravan."

Stepping down, Valrandir took a small piece of parchment from the table and walked to the doorway. With everyone watching he took a nail and pinned the flyer to the wall beside the door.

"This is a labour report. It declares all dwarves available for hire as apprentices or task-takers; it includes gender and any notable skills. Any accomplished craftsdwarves seeking apprentices should refer to this sheaf. It may also serve as a general reference for what our labour force is capable of."

LABOUR REPORT - 1003U

"Any further questions?"

THE FORT AS IT STANDS

Here's the map on DFFD. Everyone have a look.

In any case, I need EVERYONE, and that means you, to give me their orders for the next season. If you've already posted them, then link me to the post. Tell me exactly what labours you will have activated. Tell me if you want apprentices or not and give them nicknames. I need to start next year with a totally fresh slate now that we have stone. Tell me everything I need to know because if there's any vagueness then I will respond vaguely.

Make it so. I'll be listening.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:18:23 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

Tiger, as he is known to the others, tends to be a very quiet, and reserved person, but even he can agree to the need for better sleeping quarters, and is more then willing to make them as best that he can manage, to further his art, which Tiger is fairly obsessed about. As the rooms get carved, he sets about smoothing the stone to a fine polish. All of the walls in the least, the floors also in main areas, but no engravings, not yet.

If that is not needed, and we start getting a surplus of stone, set me about making pots and crafts. Also, get the mason to make a few slabs and coffins. Best to be prepared for the worst.

Tiger carries his tools with him everywhere, and will polish them at the end of each day. He has an obsession to detail. If the tools are flawed in any way, he will make new ones.

When my dwarf is at least master, start making a few engravings, where appropriate.

(Standing orders)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

hmm, what sort of skills did I start with in the migrant wave? Hoping I can snag that wound dresser for a fellow spear dwarf and sparring partner. She could also use her carpentry skills to carve a couple spears to hunt random animals out and about. (non-training)

If I can manage the apprentice, I'd like to get those spears, and set up a small barracks someplace outside, around a bag if we don't have any coffers. And start training speardwarf skills to start. With occasional direct orders for the squad to kill some animals roaming around(much better way to train).

If not, then I will start on fishing, and set up a fishery workshop. Though I would rather focus on fishing itself than cleaning.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »

hmm, what sort of skills did I start with in the migrant wave? Hoping I can snag that wound dresser for a fellow spear dwarf and sparring partner. She could also use her carpentry skills to carve a couple spears to hunt random animals out and about. (non-training)

You're Talented in four skills: Ambushing, Fishing, Fish Cleaning and Dissecting. You can have up to 2 apprentices. Make sure to nickname them, or I'll nick them for you based on personality.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:39 pm »

Until spears are made, Jacen will help with the odd job. If spears are made, he will train.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

Do i have a dwarf yet?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:05 pm »

I WANT TO MAKE MY BLOODY PROJECT.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:37 pm »

Dorna went over the list of dwarves after the meeting, holding her mechanisms with her, before pointing at a name.  "Oi you, come with me!  I'm gonna need some help here."  She headed back to the mechanics with the dwarf, setting the mechanism down.  "I'm gonna need your help.  I'm still making all these mechanisms, but as soon as they finish mining out my control room, I'm gonna need someone to take my place while I set up the innards of it.  That's where you come in.  I need you to pay attention in the meantime so ya know what to do, got it?"  The dwarf nodded.  "Excellent.  And what's your name?"

"Elia, ma'am."

"Elia, not bad.  Alright then Elia, just pay attention to what I do.  Now you start with a chunk of rock here..."

((OOC: If possible, I'll take a mechanic apprentice in the form of Medtob Rakustuzol.  Plans aren't that changed, but I'm going to be continuing to make mechanisms with him.  Though once the control room is mined out I'll start working on setting that place up.))

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »

Alrighty then, Have Aqua and the Wound Dresser become a squad of spear dwarfs. After she makes a few spears. Until then Aqua can fish.

As for my other apprentice, I'll take the other fisher guy, and have him set up a fishing department closer to the river. Raw fish stockpile and fishery. Say west of the wood stockpile there, between the river and the lake north. Setting up a fishing zone over all of it, hitting both the lake and the river. And once that's done, set the apprentice to help out with the palisade walls, in the hopes of eventually getting a wall up around the fish processing area.

Nicknames are up to you. :) makes me want to see what you come up with.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

Spera shrugs off the list as she heads for her workshops, idly carving some bolts out of a hunk of wood as she does so. Her bolts were beginning to pile up, and that olny ment one thing. It was going to get fun soon. Maybe she would make a new crossbow just for herself befor beginning to shoot things once more...

((OOC: Have her make one more crossbow befor making her her own squad, and set her to marksdwarf. send her out to kill random small critters for the rest of the season, or untill bolts start running low. and if they do, get her to start bolt production again. ))
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:17 pm »

Gender doesn't matter to me anymore. I've been dorfed as a female way too many times now, so I "don't really care about anything anymore".  :P
So anyway... BARRELS NON-STOP
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:56 am »

Doctor Valrandir schemes for the Spring of year 1003.

Doc Valrandir Diary
"There have been many opinions about what the priorities should have been. If the aquifer project failed my position here would become quite questionable."
"At least this is done, but now mostly everyone looks my way every time they have the smallest problem."
"It was much easier back in the mountain home, doing the same dumb job over and over again without questions."
"But I wanted to be someone, and here I am, somehow more than before, in some dirt hole."

Doc Valrandir does have much time to waste writing in his journal.
Everything is too dirty to be sane, we are sleeping in a dirt corridor and there are DOGS in the fucking dining room.

We have stone now, and access to the underground to carve a shining, clean fortress.
But digging in stone takes time, and carving the perfect™ fortress even more time.
Should we continue to "sleep" next to each other's farts for weeks, months, years to come, until our new quarters are perfectly finished?

No.

We must first take measures to increase our sanity, and then carve out our fortress in greater working comfort.

So far my blueprints have been somehow followed. My guess is that it is easier for the miners to mindlessly mine my plans rather then having to think of something else than the next elephant meal.
And that way I can get things to be clean. Not in the dust! But we are past that now.

Muttering to himself for the 21th time:
"These blueprints focus on improving our live in the short them, followed by starting to strike the stone deeper below."

First, we must quickly expand our internal storage, for food or anything else needed.

Second, we must have private bedrooms. Forty will suffice for the time being.
We will keep the existing dormitory but take half of the beds or more away from it and inside the new rooms.
I will be asking any skilled carpenter to complete the missing beds.
This quick dig will improve our situation a lot, in a short amount of time.
But the real rooms will be dug in stone.

Thirdly, digging down will scatter rock fragments EVERYWHERE.
I will be personally processing them into blocks, over and over and over again!

The left room will serve as a rock block stockpile, and if our carpenter can make tons and TONS of wooden bins, the better.
The top and bottom rooms are for me, one office with a table and chair, and one bedroom with a bed. I must get away from the filth focus on my block cutting work after all, its important!!
The right room is reserved for a rough rock stockpile. Only basic rocks will be stored here, no metals, no clay, no nothing but basic dumb rocks waiting to be cut!
Finally in the very center of it all, I will build my personal Mason workshop, where nobody else will work ever! (Workshop profile, Valrandir only).

Our latest migrants will move the stone around, and I will only need to take a few steps to get the next stone to cut.
I am planning on doing this for all spring at least.

Fourthly, after we are done digging in the dirt, we must move unto Stone!
1. Dig down the 3x3 up/down stairs 5 level down away from the aquifer, then follow this blueprint exactly.

2. One level above and one level below each 2x2 up/down stairs, dig this schema:

Then we will have a good entrance to the underground which will later on be secured further, then a main crosspoint for future expansion, and 64 nice bedrooms, expandable up and down.

--------

Doc Valrandir enabled skills
- Mason and nothing else, no hauling.

Other important stuff
Valrandir will take the seat of Bookkeeper and Manager, with the highest bookkeeping precision.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:27:46 am by Valrandir »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48