Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 77757 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
Re: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2011, 12:35:30 am »

On the Automn, Doc Valrandir will do the following by order of priority.

- Coordinate the aquifer operation
- Process our two yak into food, either himself or by asking a butcher to do it.
- Make wooden craft, unless someone more skilled can do it, and have them stored next to the trade depot
- When the caravan comes, trade all we can for
  - Food
  - Drinks
  - at least 8 cloth and 8 threads
  - Some gypsum powder
  - Any special requests

For the next year, we will be asking for
- Drinks
- Cheese
- Anything Steel related
- Any special requests

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2011, 03:32:32 am »

Why process the Yaks now? We can just milk them.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:53 am »

I'll continue helping with building the wall, butchering any excess animals if nobody else wants to, building any other construction that requires dwarfpower to progress faster.

Also, make sure that a Trade depot was built since I have't seen one in the screenshots. Oh, and buy any sand that the caravan brings us.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2011, 08:48:27 am »

Powder Building Designer would help as much as possible with the projects going on, but he would also build a pole sticking straight up 8 dwarf-heights, with a spiral staircase going up it, and then another one on the other side of the area. And then 2 more to form a rectangle shape. He would then build a floor connecting the four poles. Yes, his masterpiece would hopefully be going well.

Do you care where I build it? Need a shot of the landscape?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:33 am »

I don't really care for any exacts, I'd just prefer if it's on a flatter area, and make sure the floor isn't touching any hills.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:02 am »

Three new migrants:

Male, Adequate Miller, Accomplished Furnace Op, Novice Stonecrafter, Novice Suturer

Male, Novice Swordsdwarf and Engraver

Female, Pro Gem Cutter, Talented Stonecrafter

I'll leave them as URISTs (Unmanned Roaming Important yet Stupid Task-taker) for now. They don't fit the demands of any new members, so if anyone wants one and is willing to train some skills up from zero let me know.

Amusingly enough, one of them is named Urist.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:16 am »

Mark the furnace operator as a sort of apprentice for my metalworking once I can have one. ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:44 am »

Oh dear, I'm glad I'm saving seasonally. I didn't follow Valrandir's aquifer instructions properly and I'll have to re-do them. So, next update shall be a bit late.

Agh. Autobackup was turned off. So we don't have a seasonal save. I'm not sure I've totally screwed up though: I just ended up channeling out more than I should before the first drop. Specifically, I channelled the very middle of the plug out down to the aquifer. Don't ask me why I did this: I . . . thought the rings were dropped separately.

Here's a pic of my n00bish fumbling:

I didn't realize that the whole thing had to be dropped first, THEN the channelling would be done section by section. So, can I plug the very middle up with some walls/floors or will they deconstruct on impact, leaving all this work completely wasted?

We can easily repeat this process but it'll take another two seasons. I can't believe I didn't have Autobackup on.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:43:46 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:15 pm »

Better ask whoever designed it... Val wasn't it?

TBH I'd rather just reload a bit of work than end up with a half built cavein puncher on the map. :P

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:14 pm »

Don't suppose you feel like having my chap sort out the bees? He'll need some hives though and a place which isn't too exposed to tend to them :] Mead is delicious!
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »

Well, you could always convert the failed cave-in puncher into a well so your dwarves won't have to go outside and drink from the river.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2011, 01:55:11 pm »

It is outside.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2011, 02:08:02 pm »

Don't suppose you feel like having my chap sort out the bees? He'll need some hives though and a place which isn't too exposed to tend to them :] Mead is delicious!

Are those orders? If so, I'll set you to all manner of beekeeping duties and have you make the beehives themselves. It may draw goblins, but our palisade will be done soon . . . ish.

Better ask whoever designed it... Val wasn't it?

TBH I'd rather just reload a bit of work than end up with a half built cavein puncher on the map. :P

I can't reload, apparently I had autobackup turned off. If it's a wasted plug we can still turn it into some sort of tower. Since it's connected to the aquifer, it could be a water tower! Troughs could be built to redirect water all over the map: drowning traps, dwarven baths, you name it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:10:42 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

I can't reload, apparently I had autobackup turned off. If it's a wasted plug we can still turn it into some sort of tower. Since it's connected to the aquifer, it could be a water tower! Troughs could be built to redirect water all over the map: drowning traps, dwarven baths, you name it.

I like the way you think!  :P
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:35 pm »

I approve. :D Palisade is how much nearly done?

Also, bees aren't so valuable any more.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48