Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good Regions and Flux  (Read 1373 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Regions and Flux
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:15 am »

Was wondering if anyone with more experience with DF can inform me what's going on here..

So I've wanted to settle in a good region for two reasons.  The first is that I've never done it before. The second is that I want to have unicorns to hunt.

But I also want clay, multiple shallow and deep metals, a river, deep soil, and flux.

So I select all those things.. and the site finder shows me sites that it says has these.  But in using the prospector, I find that there's -never- flux.  It's amazing.  I'm beginning to believe flux does not ever, in any fashion, appear in good regions.  I don't know if I'm just getting incredibly unlucky, or if there's a bug in here.  I'm used to getting a marble layer somewhere, but it's looking like marble layers don't appear in good regions.

It could also be that the game is always pointing me towards good temperate shrublands and grasslands - never good forests.  And maybe marble is connected to forests.  I'm rather confused.

PJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Good Regions and Flux
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:51 am »

Indeed, I am also having trouble with the site finder. Went to a region that clearly stated "flux stone" but nothing. :(

Any ideas on how to circumvent that?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:57 am »

How deep did you dig? Marble can be a bit deep.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:56 am »

Wasn't digging. Was using prospector.  Which may have been my mistake - I just discovered that the prospector showed no marble, when using the map revealer very clearly showed marble.

PJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

In my case, I used both reveal and prospector and found nothing :(

Oh well, might have been a generation SNAFU or something like that.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

I've done it like..20 times.  It's no snafu.  Good regions apparently cannot have flux.

My previous statement of the prospector/reveal being incorrect was on a wilderness region.  The prospector was incorrect.  I've still not found a 'good' region with any flux.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:23:37 pm »

My Current World (Params below, sorry about the size, let me know if you need something smaller) has sites of both Serene & Joyous Wilds that have flux, shallow metals, & deep metals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »

My Current World (Params below, sorry about the size, let me know if you need something smaller) has sites of both Serene & Joyous Wilds that have flux, shallow metals, & deep metals.

Just because your site finder says it has flux doesn't mean that it actually has flux.  Yes, the site finder states that flux is present.  If you actually use reveal and prospector, you will find that you have no flux.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:26:43 pm »

I think a number of people have complained about the flux issue with flux not being there when the map says it is. I've also noticed aquifers not existing in some places.

Anyway, you might want to gen a world with the number of good squares cranked up.....

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »

Dfprospector doesn't show flux by default.  Run it with the command line parameter -ab and it will show you if there is flux.  I thought the same as you until I did this.  The reason for this is that dfpropector doesn't show layer stones, and most (all?) flux stones are layer stones. 

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »

Dfprospector doesn't show flux by default.  Run it with the command line parameter -ab and it will show you if there is flux.  I thought the same as you until I did this.  The reason for this is that dfpropector doesn't show layer stones, and most (all?) flux stones are layer stones.

Yeah, I discovered this, but even reveal isn't showing flux in good locations.  If anyone finds a flux layer in a good site, then I'll agree that I'm wrong.  Until then, reveal and other methods are making it very clear that there is no flux in good sites.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 01:48:44 pm »

Just because your site finder says it has flux doesn't mean that it actually has flux.  Yes, the site finder states that flux is present.  If you actually use reveal and prospector, you will find that you have no flux.

On the other hand, if I actually embark, use DFReveal to look around some, & find buttloads of chalk or marble, I can probably assert that there is Flux there...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »

Flux more than definitely appears in good sites, you are just running into bad luck.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »

Yeah..  Just found it.  Sorry folks.  Well, sort of found it.  The marble didn't make a whole layer.. just the north and south edges, oddly.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:59 pm »

It sounds like you just embarked on the edge of a biome, which is often good. Make sure to hit F1, F2, F3, etc when you're looking at embark zones because by default it will just show the info for one of them.
Pages: [1] 2