Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing a dwarf to build/dig from a certain direction and controlled cave-ins...  (Read 1139 times)

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all. Now, I havent played DF since .16 I belive, and now I've finally downloaded LNP (.21). I noticed I can no longer use suspended constructions (i.e walls) to avoid dwarfs walling themselves in and other stupid stuff. Is there another way to make sure my construction workers place the last wall in a 3x3 rectangle and not getting stuck inside, for example?

Also, my new fortress is going to be constructed in a few large stalagmites/tites/hives hanging from the roof of a giant cave, which means I need to dig that cave out. What would be the more efficiant way of creating a, say, 20x20x10 cube of open space in the middle of the mountain? Controlled cave-ins?

edit: also, I have a small force of goblins sitting outside my dirt-fortress, which is the home of my dwarfs while I dig out the hives deeper down. Will they sit there until I do something about them (currently a ditch of water protecting the entrance to my fort, and it's early spring, but the water will freeze... ) or will they eventually bugger off by themselves?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:32:19 am by wrajjt »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Why can't you use suspended constructions?  I've had no problem doing this in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why can't you use suspended constructions?  I've had no problem doing this in the current version.
My dwarves seem to ignore them.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all. Now, I havent played DF since .16 I belive, and now I've finally downloaded LNP (.21). I noticed I can no longer use suspended constructions (i.e walls) to avoid dwarfs walling themselves in and other stupid stuff. Is there another way to make sure my construction workers place the last wall in a 3x3 rectangle and not getting stuck inside, for example?

I'm pretty sure the suspended-construction trick still works, but if you're having trouble with it or just can't be bothered, you can always make them construct one of the rectangles' corners as the last thing - they have to do that from outside it.

edit: also, I have a small force of goblins sitting outside my dirt-fortress, which is the home of my dwarfs while I dig out the hives deeper down. Will they sit there until I do something about them (currently a ditch of water protecting the entrance to my fort, and it's early spring, but the water will freeze... ) or will they eventually bugger off by themselves?

They'll eventually bugger off on their own, so long as the squad leader hasn't been caught in a cage trap. It can take a few seasons, though.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would usually avoid cave ins. They are beautiful, but dangerous.  Unless you are making the cave in all the way into molten rock, then you will need to hollow out all cells to make them disappear anyway, - they will otherwise just be compressed when they hit solid rock.

My standard method of king size digging would be upwards ramps one z-level at a time (from the top), however this do become annoying in case of caves with passages as it creates a lot of columns that each must be carved away from the top.

I heard another method that I will soon try, but haven’t yet. Designate everything to be removed as stairs, this should make it possible to designate the entire project at once and have the miners do the diggings as they wish. When it is done, then place a support beneath and remove all other supporting stair cells. Link the support to a lever and evacuate all dwarf to a secure location before making this huge collapse. (Try a small scale version first to check that it will work.)

('Boardstrap' in my signature had a lot of big scale digging and collapsing.)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, askovdk. I must try those, they definatly seem safer than a huge cave-in through 20ish z-levels.