Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Baby dwarves should take their mother's surname  (Read 4026 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Baby dwarves should take their mother's surname
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »

I wouldn't mind it as an added name (like a hereditary title?), so long as Legendaries were harder to come by. It would be a bit disorienting to have a dwarf's last name change suddenly though. Most of the time you're probably not going to notice, but I run small forts and don't much fancy playing "Where's my Dwarf?" once the Legendaries start appearing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:34 pm »

That's a good point actually.  Let alone what happens when your migrant butcher Rakost Ruzosvagush (look that one up, I dare you) becomes a Hero.  Possibly the last names would be generated for migrants and embarkees when they enter the map based on their highest skill.

Leaving "Vagush" up there with his cool name.

I've found two other threads on this topic in here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20967.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30452.0

Both seem very old, and unadopted.  This thread has the potential to produce something actually Dwarfy, tho, I think.

- Children named after mother
- Married couples take a last name representative of the highest skill they have between them at the time of marriage.
- Dwarves with unknown surnames start with their highest profession as the seed of their name
- Legendary titles become last names for legendary professionals.
- It should deffinitely use language_DWARVEN to translate a phrase that makes sense for what that Dwarf is all about.

If you think about it, it's pretty much what we're already doing when we call our Dorfs "Urist McBonecarver", so there is what you could call a "lore precedent"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:28:34 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:46 pm »

"Highest Skill" seems a little silly, though.  What are they supposed to do, read each other's character pages?  How do you really know that someone is a better cheesemaker than someone else is a bonecarver? You're comparing apples and oranges.  Plus, it just makes for competition between the two parents, which would be somewhat absurd.

"Always named after father", "always named after mother", "boys named after father and girls named after mother" and maybe something like "girls named after father, and boys named after mother" just for completeness would make some sense.

Last names seem to come with birth, so I don't think we need to worry about them getting their names after they have hit certain skill ranks or titles, although maybe titles could potentially overwrite their names, and be passed down (Urist SonOfDragonslayer).

Still, I do think that having dwarves change their names all of a sudden would be fairly confusing for players, who have trouble keeping track of them all as it is.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:19 pm »

I already get pissed off when some stupid dwarf ends up in the bottom of a lava lake and I have to scroll through nearly 2,000 names (yes, that is over 100 pages) in order to get to the one I have to engrave a stupid memorial of so I dont have dwarves murdered by his stupid vengeful spirit....

Now having hundreds of them having the same last names... When so many share the same first name..

No. Thank. You.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:47 pm »

Hello, my name is Ivan Ivanovich.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:24 am »

exclude marriage from the need to inherit names

dwarves do not have the same family values as most humans do, and we already know dwarf girls do not restrict themselves to there partner in marriage, if any for reproduction

id say always give the mothers last name, because it is unsure who really is the father at any point, marriage or no marriage

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:57 am »

I think it should be an init option. The last thing most people would want is to have to think "Was it Tun Laceraces, Urist Laceraces or Odom Laceraces that just died? If they had their own last names, I would remember"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

I think it should be an init option. The last thing most people would want is to have to think "Was it Tun Laceraces, Urist Laceraces or Odom Laceraces that just died? If they had their own last names, I would remember"

You mean you aren't already confused about which damned Urist it was?  Dwarves having real family names wouldn't make this any easier or harder.  Probably a little bit easier since their last name makes sense, and it would be easier to say "Oh, Rakost's kid just died.  Better give him a memorial"

Or, you know, you could just not drop dwarves into magma, leaving no body to be buried.

Just a thought.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 11:07:50 am »

You mean you aren't already confused about which damned Urist it was?  Dwarves having real family names wouldn't make this any easier or harder.  Probably a little bit easier since their last name makes sense, and it would be easier to say "Oh, Rakost's kid just died.  Better give him a memorial"

Or, you know, you could just not drop dwarves into magma, leaving no body to be buried.

Just a thought.
It would be even more confusing if the Lacerace family gave all of the kids the name Urist.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 11:49:10 am »

I think you could make it so that siblings don't get the same name :P

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:58 am »

I think you could make it so that siblings don't get the same name :P

That would be a very trivial hack, indeed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:58 pm »

Isn't this sort of thing what nicknames are for?

If it's really getting bad, though, you could just make first names compound names, as well.  Then, you could be looking for Uristmorul Asmelzon instead of just Urist Asmelzon.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 07:02:54 pm »

Someone on another thread suggested that dwarves might use the more skilled spouse's surname, regardless of gender. So if Urist McLegendaryBonecarver and Urist McNoviceCheeseMaker get married, they'd be the McBonecarvers, whether Urist McCheesemaker is the husband or the wife. That seemed like a pretty nifty idea.

That IS a good idea!
Gonna repeat that last guy.
Oh, wait...
Still a good idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:09 pm »

Maybe nicknames could be a middle name!

The Lacerace family has Urist "Pigslaughter" Lacerace, Urist "Hairybasements" Lacerace and Urist "Massivemothers" Lacerace.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »

Maybe nicknames could be a middle name!

The Lacerace family has Urist "Pigslaughter" Lacerace, Urist "Hairybasements" Lacerace and Urist "Massivemothers" Lacerace.

You can already do this with the init options.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3