Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Baby dwarves should take their mother's surname  (Read 4030 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Baby dwarves should take their mother's surname
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:29:35 am »

As it is, we can never be sure who is related to whom based on their names.  Due to the fact that Dwarves reproduce seemingly by spores once they're married, the true parentage of the baby dwarf cannot be known any more specifically than who it's mother is.  For this reason, I suggest that baby dwarves take their mother's last name as their own, instead of having one generated from whole cloth.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby dwarves should take their mother's surname
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:28 am »

How about, I want?
It only makes sense.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:54 am »

Could depend on race. A tag to say which parent their surname comes from.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:36 am »

It should be the married couples name. When some dwarves get married, one should have to change it's name to it's partners name.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:54 am »

Sfon brings up an interesting point.  Elves would probably take their wife's name on marriage.  Humans, deffinitely the husband's.  Goblins should not HAVE a last name, since they're 80% likely to have been kidnapees and had their former lives stripped from them.

Maybe some entity flags in addition, but giving the mother's name to a baby is almost guaranteed.  Which name she has is a different point of contention.

A 10 minuite stop-gap hack might be to give us the ability to set the dwarf's actual last name, not just their nickname.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:08:30 am by Jeoshua »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:31:01 am »

As it is, we can never be sure who is related to whom based on their names.  Due to the fact that Dwarves reproduce seemingly by spores once they're married, the true parentage of the baby dwarf cannot be known any more specifically than who it's mother is.  For this reason, I suggest that baby dwarves take their mother's last name as their own, instead of having one generated from whole cloth.
Could depend on race. A tag to say which parent their surname comes from.

I agree with both of these.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:32:31 am »

Sfon brings up an interesting point.  Elves would probably take their wife's name on marriage.  Humans, deffinitely the husband's.  Goblins should not HAVE a last name, since they're 80% likely to have been kidnapees and had their former lives stripped from them.

Maybe some entity flags in addition, but giving the mother's name to a baby is almost guaranteed.  Which name she has is a different point of contention.

A 10 minuite stop-gap hack might be to give us the ability to set the dwarf's actual last name, not just their nickname.
Children abducted by goblins do not turn into goblins. They get kids like every other races.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:GOBLIN]
-snip-
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:36:24 am »

While they do carry traditional reproduction the integration of other races into their society that act just like any other member with no real discrimination on race so far seems to suggest that they would have a culture based around this major source of population.

Or you could assume that they really don't want to bump uglies with another goblin.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »

While in earlier versions this wouldn't work because each civilization started with ten pairs of critters so you'd only have ten or twenty surnames being used by an entire civ, now that the populations are bigger and mostly abstracted away this could actually make sense now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »

What about the old roman way of mixing the mother's and father's name together to get the offsprings name?
Gives new surnames and still allows easy tracking of the parents (sorta).

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:52 am »

Someone on another thread suggested that dwarves might use the more skilled spouse's surname, regardless of gender. So if Urist McLegendaryBonecarver and Urist McNoviceCheeseMaker get married, they'd be the McBonecarvers, whether Urist McCheesemaker is the husband or the wife. That seemed like a pretty nifty idea.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 08:09:17 am »

Someone on another thread suggested that dwarves might use the more skilled spouse's surname, regardless of gender. So if Urist McLegendaryBonecarver and Urist McNoviceCheeseMaker get married, they'd be the McBonecarvers, whether Urist McCheesemaker is the husband or the wife. That seemed like a pretty nifty idea.

That IS a good idea!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:57:09 pm »

That IS a good idea!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

"Haha! I finally got in some overtime, and got the rank up!  Eat it, honey, the kids are getting named after ME now! HAAAHAHAHA!... So what's for dinner?... Sweetie?  Sweetie, what's wrong?"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

It seems tacky to do a quote pyramid on my own idea, but yeah.  That's deffinitely something I'd like to see.  Maybe even, upon achieving legendary status, your legendary bonecarver actually becomes named Urist Nosodrigoth (that's Dwarven for "Bonecraft").  It would mean you would have alot of dwarves named Urist Avuzcubor (Mine Worker), tho.

Maybe take two SYMs and put them together randomly, for example:

Miner
Avusmilil (Mine Messiah)
Oderith (Tunnel Labor)
Lamzuden (Stone Keeper)

Farmer
Lenodtok (Seed Planter)
Erokevon (Plant Lover)
Dozebeshan (Fruit Smith)
Pages: [1] 2 3