Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfen cruelty  (Read 1188 times)

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfen cruelty
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:07 am »

Hi everybody I'm new here but I'm playing DF for a while. :)

I'm wondering, what is the most cruel situation in you fortress or adventure mode?

In my last fortress, due to accident my underground farm plots turned into pool, a moment later a siege of darkness appeard so I was forced to raise drawbridge [I dont believe in military and traps xd]. Nasty tantrum spiral begun when food was gone. Half of dwofs starved to death in random places, about 25% was butchred by berserking legendary miner. Other dwarfs managed to survive but then miasma started to appear and one of my cute child gone berserk and tore to pieces[literally] one of wandering motherless infant. That was sick, walls painted in blood of one year old child.
The funny part was when launched legends. Mother of unlucky infant created first artifact [a gem] in the world, she starved to death just like her husband. her infant was torn to pieces and berserking child was later struck down by....a calf, named Townslove or something like that [starved to death later].

Another story comes directly from Legends:
Dwarven female <enter name here> was attacked by bronze collosus Ado Somethingsomething [long name] when she was 12. After 30 years she started to worship him. After another 20 years she was attacked by another bronze collosus but again managed to escape. Finally after 30 years Ado Somethingsomething her object of worship appear before her.... to squeze her brain from skull.

Dworven life suck xd

And sorry for my engrish, I'm better at reading :P

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfen cruelty
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:50 am »

My first dwarf militia member lost her hand in a fight with some goblins, then not even half a month later was back out training. No surgery, so diagnosis. Nothing. That's pretty cruel, in my opinion.
Unfortunately, in my time playing I really haven't been purposefully cruel to my dwarves, even the nobles are sparred. I am just too much of a lover I suppose...

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:19 am »

Another story comes directly from Legends:
Dwarven female <enter name here> was attacked by bronze collosus Ado Somethingsomething [long name] when she was 12. After 30 years she started to worship him. After another 20 years she was attacked by another bronze collosus but again managed to escape. Finally after 30 years Ado Somethingsomething her object of worship appear before her.... to squeze her brain from skull.

One of my 40d fortresses was attacked by a dragon.  Turns out one of my marksdwarves worshipped it, and decided to deliver his prayer via bolt through the skull.  Shortest megabeast fight I've seen.

More recently, I ran out of beds in my hospital, so someone dropped an injured dwarf onto the cloth storage chest.  I like to imagine that he just got stuffed in there.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:05:41 am »

Turns out one of my marksdwarves worshipped it

Easier to kill something you understand. I hope he doesn't expect it to revive after a weekend or something.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:18:55 am »

Mother with two babies and three follower-children. I needed to fix fps, and I had already turned off temperature and weather, atom-smashed most of the stone and butchered all the animals. I recruited her and sent her to the danger room. Can you say kid-kabob?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:04 am »

My first tantrum spiral was glorious.

I hadn't yet figured out that booze is more important than a well; but the river was in the southeastern corner of the map, while I had embarked in the northwestern corner of the map. This was a 5x5 embark, with a volcano in the middle between these two points. (40d).

My "dwarves need a water source!!" instincts told me to build an aqueduct from the river through the volcano mountain, to the northwestern corner. I was quite busy with it for a couple of seasons.

Migrants arrived. I still ignored the option to create booze; or even, in fact, to set up a farming plot. After all, the "play now!" scenario provided plenty of food, didn't it?

I guess you know where this is going. The migrants consumed all of the food and drink. Dwarves were getting hungry. Dwarves considered running across the mountain to the river to get something to drink, but the river was so extremely far away that the journey took them longer than they could survive. Dwarves were starting to become unhappy.

I continued my work on the aqueduct and to ignore the dwarves, thinking that it should be 2 z-levels deep and 2 tiles wide... for some reasons.

Finally! I breached the river. One of my miner collapsed of dehydration on the spot, the other got some water and survived the thirst.

I watched the water slowly crawl across the aqueduct. It might have been built for depressurisation, too, so that it was even slower than you'd expect.

Anyway, dwarves were dieing now. Dwarves started to tantrum and to attack the pets. The FPS dropped into the single digits.

There were insane dwarves crawling through the wood in the northwest, other dwarves smashed doors. They attacked each other.

I didn't know what to do, so I made a stockpile for the corpses, which filled quickly, and watched in horror.

Then I had the splendid idea to declare one of the sane dwarves as the sheriff. He tried to bring order into the chaos, and was slaughtered instantly. They also turned on the mayor.

A caravan came and a diplomat went away unhappily (because the mayor was slaughtered or insane). Migrants arrived happily and started to work, while the original dwarves kept slaughtering each other and chasing the remaining couple of horsies.

In the end, this new migrant wave survived. But also some of the tantruming dwarves calmed down and got back to work. They then selected a new mayor, who was one of the leaders of the revolution/tantrum. Looking at the justice screen revealed that almost everyone was supposed to be in jail for murder and destruction of property. And all of these were the new leaders of this tribe.

It was quite great, actually.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:01:40 am »

Once, my best soldier had his upper body torn off, then he ran away and got healed. He still had his lower body, arms, head etc., so what the hell happened here?

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:47 am »

Anybody have that story about the fortress that started making blood sacrifices off their megaproject pyramid similar to the way the Aztecs did it. It's from /tg/ and ends with him moving the world to a flash drive and burying it in his yard. That's dwarf fort cruelty in its rawest form
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:50:50 am »

Early in my DF career, I was suffering extensive injuries after an ambush, and had like 10 or so bleeding amputees in the first hospital zone I had managed to get operational.  I guess I wasn't aware that injured dwarves needed water instead of booze, so I was raging at why everyone was dehydrating and nobody was doing anything about it.  Apparently one of the injured dwarves was raging more than I was, and I'm thinking that the extra bad thought of "has complained of thirst recently" put her over the edge of the blinking, downward-facing red arrow, and she went berserk.  Now, apparently, she was able to move again, and, decked out in some iron armor and wielding an axe, she ravaged the hospital, killing all of the injured dwarves I had in there within like 15 seconds.  She went down pretty easily by the time my military got down there, but she managed to wipe out like 7 dudes in rapid succession, while they innocently rested in their hospital beds.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »

Incidentally, I was looking for the What's Going On In Your Fort? thread to report this very situation:

Goblins just attacked my fortress. The first ambush discovered was a squad of bowman, lead by a pikeman. Knowing that my squad, able to hold it's own against any other threat would probably be torn apart by ranged attacks. So... I deliberately let the goblins run out of arrows while firing on civilians before sending my squad out. More disturbing is that this tactic was so effective (2 or 3 other ambushes were defeated as well, with no military casualties!), I'll probably use it again.