Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shelf Life  (Read 857 times)

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shelf Life
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:53:37 am »

Assuming no vermin, both in barrels, etc will prepared meals have a longer shelf life then their ingredients individually?

Ditto on booze.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shelf Life
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:56:57 am »

Prepared meals on stockpiles never go bad, barrels or no. I don't know if vermin change this, but having a cat or two running around does a good enough job of dealing with it if so - I've never seen a stockpiled prepared meal go bad.

Booze never goes bad, period, as far as I can tell.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:23 am »

Booze never goes bad, period, as far as I can tell.

Even if it did, do you really think the dwarves would care?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:59 am »

Food and booze in a food stockpile never go bad. Vermin will reduce your stocks, so stuffing a cat or two into a Pen area designated on top of your food stockpile will work wonders. Especially if your legendary armorsmith hates rats...
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:59 am »

I have had plants go bad in a stockpile, even without much vermin.

Basically because my strategy right now is to build up all the foodstuffs I can get and then mass-brew and mass-cook so I have a huge surplus in case of ambush/siege.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:52:57 am »

Once a food item is in a stockpile, it will last forever. I've never seen food rot in the stockpile. It will of course be eaten by vermin though, and prepared meals outside of barrels are quite vurnable to them.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:24:13 pm »

This simply does not happen...  Maybe this is what you thought you saw, or maybe something happened to make things appear as if this is what happened, but the mechanics of the game are that any foodstuffs, whether in a barrel, prepared or not, will never rot if located on a tile designated as a food stockpile.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

Booze won't rot outside a stockpile either. It's quite efficient to simply leave barrels of booze in the workshop, as even with 10x clutter brewers can make booze faster than dwarves will drink it. And if they can't, then production speed will increase as supplies drop. Over time some of the barrels will become displaced as they're shifted out of the workshop. I don't know how this happens or why dwarves don't carry the barrel further, but a fort with no booze stockpile space will accumulate a small cloud of barrels around active stills.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:12 pm »

This simply does not happen...  Maybe this is what you thought you saw, or maybe something happened to make things appear as if this is what happened, but the mechanics of the game are that any foodstuffs, whether in a barrel, prepared or not, will never rot if located on a tile designated as a food stockpile.

Caveat: If you have a general food stockpile, with, say, eggs in it, and you 'q'uery the stockpile and set it not to allow eggs any more, the eggs will be subject to rot even if they're not moved at all.

Makes re-doing food stockpiles without lots of labor a bit of a pain. :P
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.